Author Topic: Understanding term written in Transportation case  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Tshed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Understanding term written in Transportation case
« on: Thursday 27 August 20 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The attached refers to a 1839 conviction for Jesse Johnson (bn 1795). This document is the Prison Hulk Leviathan and the two column refer to Gaoler's report and How disposed of.  Jesse's is the bottom entry and I am trying to understand what the comment is for the right column 'How disposed of'.  I don't actually know where he was transported to either and can't find reference to that. Is anyone familiar with what looks like 'Paw' as a disposal? 
Jesse was from Sutton Mandeville in Wiltshire and not to be confused with a convict of the ame name from Wells Somerset who was sent to Tasmania the following year.
Any help understanding this entry would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Neil
Orme, Bethnal Green/Shoreditch
Harrison, Bethnal Green
Clegg, Sowerby Bridge, West Derby and Camberwell
Munt, Morley, London.
Dobbie, Baxter, Martin, Liddell-   Glasgow
"I am the family face, Flesh perishes, I live on"

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding term written in Transportation case
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 August 20 11:43 BST (UK) »
Might it be "Paid" as in a fine :-\

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 August 20 11:46 BST (UK) »
Or ...
Pard  as an abbreviation for PARDONED followed by date of pardon?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Tshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 August 20 11:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, 'Paid' and Pardoned are good possibilities. Paid less likely perhaps as his sentence was 7 years transportation. THe entry above him was the thief and Jesse was the handler, and they both got same sentence. It looks like the thief entry for disposal says 'Bermuda' I wasn't aware that was a destination of transportation so again not sure.  But if Jesse's entry was 'Pardoned' I wonder where I can corroborate that. The newspapers only have reference to the convictions.
Harrison, Bethnal Green
Munt, Morley, London.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 August 20 11:56 BST (UK) »
It looks like the thief entry for disposal says 'Bermuda' I wasn't aware that was a destination of transportation so again not sure. 
Might 'Bermuda' have been another ship?

If Jesse was pardoned or released he should appear on censuses, BMD?

Re possibility of 'pardoned' - the 'r' in Bermuda is quite clear, not so in Jesse's entry. Re possibility of 'paid' the 'd' is  very different to that  in 'Bermuda'. The 'Unknown' looks to be in the same hand so I would expect the right hand column to be also.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Tshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 August 20 12:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you......yes could well be another ship. great thought.   
Well he was sentenced in 1839 and received 7 years , He doesn't appear on 1841 census ( that I have found....his wife and children do) but he is back at home by 1851....so that would have been after his sentence anyway; and while I know that it would have been difficult to get home had he been transported it is not beyond possibility, though perhaps it does suggest he didn't get transported.
Thanks for the interesting thoughts, its an are of genealogy I have not encountered much.
Harrison, Bethnal Green
Munt, Morley, London.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 August 20 12:08 BST (UK) »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_prison_hulks

There is one hulk, Coromandel, that was moored in Bermuda, maybe Jesse's co-accused got transferred to that....

Were any children born to Jesse's wife between 1843 [date on record] & his appearance on 1851 census?
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 August 20 12:09 BST (UK) »
Britain transported convicts to Bermuda.   :)  I am sure a search of RChat will find threads about  that destination.  I am on my E reader, so cannot give live links.

Pad and Pard are both found on various convict records at NSW Archives, and usually followed by a date, a reference number and the type of pardon (absolute, conditional, colonial, etc)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 August 20 12:12 BST (UK) »
Oh that makes a abbreviation for Pardoned more likely then JM. I think I was trying to make it too complicated  ;D