Author Topic: Sarah Stoodely / White.  (Read 998 times)

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Sarah Stoodely / White.
« on: Thursday 27 August 20 12:45 BST (UK) »
I`m not at all familiar with areas in Hampshire so need some help please.

1841 Hythe.   Fawley All born in County
Henry White    30
Sarah White    20 
Jemima White    60 ?
Fredrick White    5
Elizabeth White  9 Mo

1851  South Stoneham : HO107; Piece: 1670; Folio: 152; Page: 20;
Henry White W   42 smith b Hythe
Fredrick White  son 45 15
Elizabeth White  dau 10
William White  son 2
Jemima White sister    47
Amelia White  sister    32

I found WHITE, ELIZABETH   mmn     STOODLEY     
GRO Reference: 1840  S Quarter in NEW FOREST 
WHITE, WILLIAM   mmn     STOODLEY     
GRO Reference: 1848  J Quarter in SOUTH STONEHAM UNION 

Then a marriage
Henry White Marriage 3 Sep 1839 Fawley,Hampshire, Father: James White
Sarah Stoodley father John Stoodley.

I`m trying  to find when Sarah died, the only matching baptism with a father John  is  7  Feb 1819 Devon.  Offwell.
 Would this  be her ?  but son was registered in SOUTH STONEHAM UNION .

Death WHITE, SARAH   28 
GRO Reference: 1848  D Quarter in  NEW FOREST .

I`m not finding any original images to check it all out, ( I`m on Ancestry)

Any extra would be great . Thanks

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Stoodely / White.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 August 20 15:36 BST (UK) »
I'm not aware of there being any accessible images for Hampshire PRs * see below except via Family History Libraries.

You have already narrowed down when Sarah died to between William's birth and the date of the 1851 census, when Henry is shown as a widower.  The death registration that you have found is a likely one despite the difference in the district.  Fawley is a sub-district of the New Forest RD.  South Stoneham is one of the contiguous RDs.  Perhaps Sarah died at her parents' home?

Sarah says she was born in Hampshire in 1841 census so I would look in Hampshire first and rule out anything there before considering the Devon possibility.  And her age could be as much as 24 in 1841 due to the rounding of ages.  Unless her age is given on the marriage certficate (and not just full age  ::) ) it makes it difficult to narrow things down in terms of baptisms.  Stoodley might be recorded as Studley too.

There are Stoodley baptisms in Beaulieu following the marriage of John Stoodley to Elizabeth Rose in 1814, but Sarah is recorded as Sarah Studley, baptised 1 April 1821.

Hope that helps

Nell

*Added: I should have said 'images for this area' - there are some images on FindMyPast for Portsmouth baptisms but Fawley is outside of that.
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 August 20 15:38 BST (UK) »
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 August 20 15:56 BST (UK) »
Ooh, good - looks like Sarah was born in Beaulieu then.

But not having much luck in finding what happened to her parents.  :(

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 August 20 16:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Richard A Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 January 21 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this thread is still of interest, but it involves several surnames and villages I've researched, so it intrigued me enough to dig through my notes and the other sources I have to hand.

The 3 Sep 1839 marriage of Henry White and Sarah Stoodley tells us she was a minor, and of Hythe, the daughter of John Stoodley, a miller.  She seems to have been buried on 20 Nov 1848 at Hythe, aged 28, which puts her birth in 1820, which is not quite consistent with her being a minor when she married, nor with her being 20 at on 6 Jun 1841 when the census was taken, but it's not far out.  The baptism at Beaulieu on 1 Apr 1821, daughter of John and Elizabeth Studley, which was posted above seems almost certainly the right one. 

John and Elizabeth Studley / Stoodley had other chidlren baptised at Beaulieu: Ann (24 Mar 1816), Mary (3 Aug 1817), George (7 Feb 1819) and John (12 Apr 1823).  Ann was spelt Studley, the rest Stoodley.  Their 12 Oct 1814 marriage at Beaulieu has already been pointed out which gives Elizabeth's previous surname as Rose.  I cannot find any earlier instances of the surname in the Beaulieu parish register, nor any burial for them, nor any reference to them on the census.  The surname is common enough a few miles along the coast in Lymington, but without an age or some concrete clue that John was really from Lymington, it's hard to be sure.  We have much the same problem with Elizabeth Stoodley née Rose.  There are plenty of plausible baptisms but none in Beaulieu, and no way of being sure which is the right one.

There's a baptism on 14 Oct 1808 at Fawley of a Henry White, son of James White and Jemima née Hempson.   The mother is almost certainly the Jemima White of Hythe who was buried 6 Dec 1848 at Fawley, aged 69, putting her birth in about 1779.  This is consistent with the woman on the 1841 census with Henry and Sarah. There are several James Whites in the Hythe area at the time, but if we assume James was within a decade of Jemima in age the only candidate burial is the James White of Hythe buried on 30 Sep 1827 at Fawley, aged 51, which would put his birth in about 1776.

James and Jemima White's children were bapised variously in Fawley or Dibden between 1802 and 1821: Sarah (9 Jun 1802 at Fawley and 4 Jul 1802 at Dibden, the latter described as being of Fawley), Jemima (18 Sep 1803 at Fawley), William (22 Jun 1806 at Dibden, described as being of Hythe), Henry (14 Oct 1808 at Fawley), Anne (26 Dec 1813 at Dibden), Charles (24 Mar 1816 at Dibden), Josiah (7 Jun 1818 at Dibden) and Thomasin (6 May 1821 at Dibden).  The mixture of parishes makes sense.  Hythe was at this time a detached part of Fawley parish, surrounded by Dibden parish.  There's a marriage for James White junior and Jemima Hemson on 25 Dec 1800 at Fawley, described as a bachelor and spinster, respectively, of Hythe.  It was witnessed by James White senior and Ann Bider.

There's a 12 Oct 1775 private baptism at Fawley for a James son of James and Sarah White, followed by a record of the son being received into the church on 26 Dec 1776 at which the parents are noted as being of Hythe.  This fits both the age of the burial, the fact that James and Jemima lived in Hythe, and the use of 'junior' in describing James when he married.  However it is not the only option.  There is also a 23 Dec 1783 baptism at Fawley for a James son of James and Rebeckah White of Hardly [sic], which would also explain the use of 'junior' and does not make him unreasonably young to have married in 1800.  It's certainly possible that it was this child who later married Jemima, while the 1775 child died in 1827.  It is would mean he moved from Hardley to Hythe, but they're only 2½ miles apart.  The 1775 baptism is seems the more probable, but you'd need additional evidence before you could be sure.

Jemima Hempson [or Hemson] is a very unusual name.  The surname as spelt is not a Hampshire surname and I cannot find a single instance of it anywhere in the parish registers for the whole of mainland Hampshire before the 19th century.  It could be a misspelling or mistranscription of Hanson or Hampson or similar, which are slightly more common, but there are no recorded Jemimas with these surnames in the county.  Further afield, there's a Jemima Cally Hempson, daughter of Thomas and Mary Hempson, born 13 Dec 1780 and baptised 5 Jan 1785 in Kenton, Devon, a few miles south of Exeter.  But you'd want more than a matching name before jumping to that conclusion, especially as Jemima is listed as being born in the county on the 1841 census and of Hythe at the time of her marriage.

That's as far as I can get at the moment, and I'm afraid it hasn't linked to any of the families I'm researching.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 January 21 10:46 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage licence for James White (blacksmith) and Jemima Hemson both said to be of Fawley and aged 21.

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richard A Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 January 21 11:11 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage licence for James White (blacksmith) and Jemima Hemson both said to be of Fawley and aged 21.

Ah, yes, thank you.  The licence is dated 22 Dec 1800 and describes James as of Hythe in the parish of Fawley.  If we take the ages at face value, it puts their births in 1779.  This matches what we know from the census and burial for Jemima, but not the possible burial or either possible baptism for James.  However, given how frequently you find marriage licences which say both people are aged 21, I wonder whether this was sometimes used as a shorthand way of saying both were 'of age' – i.e. that they had reached the age of majority, which was then 21 in England for many purposes.  If so, that would point to James being the son of James and Sarah, baptised in 1775, as James and Rebecca's son was only barely 17.  It's also James and Sarah's son that was born in Hythe.