Author Topic: Johanna McKay birth 1882 not found, confusion re Mother  (Read 2890 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Johanna McKay birth 1882 not found, confusion re Mother
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again Raonull4,
From knowing nothing about Western Isles genealogy, -  there is nothing like being thrown into the deep end!  Re 1901 census Margaret (or Peggy) and daughter Johanna MacKay - have looked, and finding at least 5 Peggy/Margaret of  near ages in Barvas alone!  Tried to link with 1901 census for Johanna relevant age - 1 Stornaway, 1 Lochs, - definitely not correct - and no others to link up with Barvas!  Found a Johanna and a Margaret McKay in Kirkton Farr Sutherland - checked Johanna  but born Durness....  So, in basic terms not finding either of them - hiding somewhere.  i am very interested in the info you have put on from the Croft histories.  To be truthful, I found the website a bit hard to follow, but am going to persevere - all a big learning curve for me.
Interestingly, I am also not finding Johanna's future husband Donald Stewart with his family in 1901 census - who are in Keithall Aberdeenshire.  Have just remembered that when Donald was killed in WW1 in 1916, there was a small article in the Aberdeen Evening express 27th Mary 2016, which stated that he had been in the Gordon Highlanders from the age of 14 which would have been around 1899!  So he could have been anywhere in Scotland??   
Hi Wivenhoe, - yes... agree about newspapers - sometimes good hints.  On Johanna and Donalds marriage 1914, address was 21 Jacks Brae Aberdeen - 1911 census Jack's Brae, - 1919 (final date when war pension awarded to Johanna)23 Jacks Brae - 1953  She was in Constitution Lane Aberdeen.. so they were fairly stable in Aberdeen area.  I just notice that on 1911 census, Donalds age is stated as 36 - should have been 26!
I am focusing at the moment on Johanna's story - have got fair amount on Donald and their children  - He died 2/3/1916 - no Burial site - name on Menin Gate Ypres.  3-5398 was his 1st Gordon Highlanders Regimental number.  He was variously described as General Labourer or Pedlar. 
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 12:34 BST (UK) »
hi maggbill
               the info i have is from the Callanish croft books
achmore will be in the lochs books there by the local genealogist Bill Lawson
who has done extensive research and published most of it,
i sent that attachment because it showed where Johana's,  Mackays
came from before Lochs, achmore was Mary Macivers familly,

the John smith who got the croft after Neil Mackay emigrated
his daughter Isabella gave us te exact same problem your having
she had a daughter Johana, Isabella left the island for Glasgow
leaving johana behind with grandparents,
names and dates where different on different certificates
took a long time sorting it out but got there in the end
eventually took a Dna test and it threw up allsorts of nice surprise's
and nice people,

in regards to hebridean connections
in the box for people type the names you know
example John Mackay lots appear  but scroll till you find the John that married
Mary Maciver  after you find him click the highlighted name from there you can his children
you can click on children and parents for more info
to search crofts change the people box to crofts and residence type achmore
then you ll find 9 achmore,
both John Mackay and Mary MacIvers deaths are on scotlands People

don t give up

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 13:06 BST (UK) »
I certainly won't give up!  Must thank you - most helpful!  In some ways even though this part of Scottish genealogy is complex, with so many extended families, and changes of names and Gaelic which I know nothing about - but in other ways the histories of the Crofts opens up different aspects...  Bill Lawson has done a fantastic work - must try to do some general reading about it all...
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 13:47 BST (UK) »
hi maggbill
               just read all posts again and a post by flst is very interesting
1891 census Johana McLeod 9 lochs with a Peggy ( Margaret) age is out for mother
none of John Mackay and Mary MacIvers other children called Johana
2 did marry McLeods but theres no Johana listed for those
1901 theres still a Johana McLeod at lochs right age on both census's
this is a big if was her father a Mcleod and did she adopt the name for a while
is any of Johana's children called Kenneth,

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again Raonull4,
Sorry to keep waffling on, but do you know of any books or articles which might give me any idea of the "relationship" between the crofters of the Isles and Highland Traveller families?  I started this search initially finding it interesting that Johanna's husband, Donald Stewart, a "Highland Traveller", was born in Barvas, but I see from census that though Donalds father Hugh Stewart was born in Aberdeen, his own mother Henrietta (seemingly also maiden name Stewart) was also born in Barvas about 1854.  Mind you according to her marriage her parents Peter Stewart and Hannah Chisholm were "Hawkers", not crofters. - So the connection with the Isles was further back than I realised.  Looks like this could be a never ending obsession for me - just as well these are times of "isolation" - and winter still here in Aus. - good time for research.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 13:59 BST (UK) »
hi
   there will be books on travelers but its not a subject i ve looked into,
my last post might be a bit confussing  the Johana Mcleod is with
John MacKay a and Mary macIver and peggy MacKay on the 1891 census,
id any of the stewarts where born on Lewis there should be info
on them on hebridean connections

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Sorry, your last post is a bit like one I often receive from my sister who never uses punctuation - so found it a bit hard to read lol!  I actually think that the 1891 census which FLST found is a most strong candidate for me.  Johanna - correct age, yes "Peggy's age a bit out, but possible.  Then are you saying that the name "Johanna" is unusual for John McKay and Mary McIvers families?  and also for the McLeods?  I did a search for a Johanna McLeod birth 1882, and found one, but mothers name was Anne.... So, could Peggy be naming her daughter McLeod in census, but not registered as such.  And no, "Kenneth" is not a name that ever appears at all in Johanna's and Donalds family

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 14:09 BST (UK) »
Another day tomorrow.!!!... And yes, will do a bit of search for the Stewarts - though not sure that any of them were crofters.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 14:24 BST (UK) »
hope you can read the attachment