Author Topic: McKenna family, Crossmaglen  (Read 1065 times)

Offline BM813

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKenna family, Crossmaglen
« on: Thursday 27 August 20 19:36 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information about my grandmothers family from Upper Creegan parish in Crossmaglen, Co. Armagh. My grandmother Margaret Josephine McKenna (b.Oct 12, 1906) was born in Glasgow, Scotland then she and her family returned to Crossmaglen.
       She later came to America in the late 1920's.  I am unable to locate any information about her father Thomas McKenna or mother Catherine Shields (married 24 Aug 1898) particularly their dates & locations of death and burial. I know they lived close to the Carragher family. Her sister Brigid Meegan remained in the family home that was later purchased by a Carragher.  I have some old photos and looking to try and identify any relations/neighbors that may be in these photos.  Thomas may have been a traveling craftsman and perhaps died when he was away from home.

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McKenna family, Crossmaglen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 20 12:51 BST (UK) »
Who were the other siblings?  Were they back in Ireland for the 1911 census or in Scotland?  Do you have either of these census records?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 20 14:43 BST (UK) »

........from Upper Creegan parish in Crossmaglen, Co. Armagh.

Crossmaglen village in the civil parish of Creggan.
https://www.townlands.ie/armagh/creggan/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline BM813

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 August 20 18:29 BST (UK) »
Yes, the the family is listed in both the 1901 and 1911 census, but their father, Thomas McKenna, is not listed in either for unknown reason. Margaret (my grandmother) was born in 1906 and the family must have returned to Crossmaglen area sometime after her birth in Scotland.  Margaret's siblings were Brigid, Mary and Patrick McKenna. Only Brigid stayed in the family home which no longer stands.
I have no idea why they were in Scotland and can only assume that their father Thomas McKenna may have traveled for work and died somewhere else.  I do have a poor copied photo of Thomas McKenna.

The family lived and was helped in 1901 by Mary Shields (Aunt & Head of the household) and Mary Kelly (great grandmother). Mary Kelly(nee Carragher) is listed as 102 yrs old in the 1901 census. The 1901 census has just the women of the family and no men listed.
    I appreciate any help or clarification on my Crossmaglen relations.

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 20 18:53 BST (UK) »
1901 and 1911 in Cappagh, not Crossmaglen.  Youngest in 1911 is Maggie Josephine aged 4, also born in Glasgow.

Offline BM813

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 August 20 18:57 BST (UK) »
Yes my grandmother was also called Maggie, Im sorry it is Cappagh or as I heard Cappy. We were always told Crossmaglen as some relations are  buried in St Patrick' church cemetery. 

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 August 20 18:59 BST (UK) »
The two born in Glasgow will have birth certificates available at ScotlandsPeople which should give you Thomas' occupation which may make it easier to track him down.  Bridget's birth in 1899 says Thomas is a carpenter.  Same with Mary's in 1902, so Thomas must have been going back and forth to Glasgow for work.  Home long enough to make babies.

Offline BM813

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 August 20 19:13 BST (UK) »
How are you able to verify that information so quick. I do have Margaret's Certificate of Baptism from St. Mary's, Glasgow.  Yes that is right, I did know that Thomas was listed as a carpenter and that is why I believed he may have traveled.
  I do not have any information about where Mary was born.  Mary married but had no children and passed away in Brooklyn, NY...but I do to have possession of any of her documents and still trying to locate any that may be possessed by extended family. 

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 August 20 19:16 BST (UK) »
The civil birth records for Ireland are available on Irishgenealogy.ie (a free site).  I don't have access to the Scottish records because it's a paid site (Scotlands People), but usually great info on those records, and not too dear when you buy credits.  Mary was born in Cappagh (Cappy).