Author Topic: Marriage of Jerry Buckley  (Read 798 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Jerry Buckley
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 August 20 16:47 BST (UK) »
23rd May 1800
John son of Jerry and Mary Buckley.
The residence is dittoed from the previous one as ‘Oldtame’ . (Old Tame).

That suggests to me that John was legitimate. If he was illegitimate it would have been "son of Jerry Buckley and Mary Shaw". Might be a clerical error of course.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 August 20 17:10 BST (UK) »
I had ruled out Jerry's marriage to Mary Shaw in 1809 as a second marriage because it usually says on the marriage entry "widow" if the first wife had died, but I guess it's possible that was just an omission by whoever wrote the entry in the church register. So yes, it is possible that he married a woman called Mary prior to 1800 when John was born.   

Have you found marriages of other widowers married by the same clergyman at that church and were they denoted as widowers in the marriage register? Clergymen weren't always consistent. Jerry and Mary married by banns. That banns register is missing from the run on LANOPC.
One of my ancestors married for the second time in 1787.  She was noted as widow in the marriage register but the fact that he was a widower wasn't recorded.

Cowban

Offline kiwi48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 August 20 02:23 BST (UK) »
I had a look at a number of marriage entries in that year and couldn't find any with the word widow in but that could of course be because none of them were. So the 1809 marriage could be a second marriage for Jerry but if it is I can't find any trace of a first marriage. I'm inclined to think he just got married several years after his first child John was born. Will keep digging.