Author Topic: Diary - Friday 28th August  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Friday 28th August
« on: Friday 28 August 20 23:09 BST (UK) »
I'll get straight to it as there's not much to say today...

Weather was wet when I got up....
Messaged daughter to wish them safe journey and good holiday...
She informed me they were on the way and had already had first comfort stop!
After breakfast I booked a c n c slot for Tuesday and then spent most of the morning doing my list... think I could have driven to the shop and bought it all in the time it took...
 I cut O.H's hair... getting reasonable at it now and he seemed happy... decided he doesn't need to return to the barbers as I can do it! ...
Popped out once the rain had stopped to go and pay this weeks village lottery winner...
Had a game of scrabble and I won so now I'm in the lead by one... best make the most of it as I'm sure it won't last!
Had a late lunch...
Got on with making the rest of the birthday cards...
It's now very dark lights on and pouring with rain...
OH busy with his jigsaw...
Daughter messaged to say they'd arrived, place was lovely and it was torrential rain... well they have gone to Wales!
Dinner was chicken rogan Josh with rice and veg and Indian snacks.
Watched some more of The Crown and gardeners world...
The wind has got up again and it's still pouring...
So to bed for a read...
Hope others days have been better...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Friday 28th August
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 20 00:11 BST (UK) »
Pretty similar here Caroline. Well done with the Scrabble!

Woke to a rainy day as forecast, it's been like winter, I even had the central heating on for an hour tonight.

Was definitely going to change the bed today so stripped it then ended up pulling it out to hoover behind and as far under as possible. It has four drawers underneath so it's pretty heavy. Pulled out bedside cabinets and chest of drawers but not the wardrobe, far too heavy . Finished hoovering and dusting and realised I still had to put the fresh bedding on.

Was still raining when I had my lunch, post arrived with a small package, it was the plant labels I sent for. Hopefully with the perennials labelled I won't forget where everything is when they die back over winter. All this online ordering of even small things means that I often get small packages and can't think what I sent for. Made changes to Tesco order, the rain seemed to have stopped.

Put on a big jacket and went out, it was windy and chilly on the field and even the path through the woods was muddy. Wasn't a long walk but at least I got some fresh air.

The rugby club which is about a mile and a half away had an outdoor music event scheduled from three to 11pm, seated at tables only, no dancing. I'm amazed that it went ahead. At first I could just here a vague sound but about 5pm I went out to the garage and it was as if the musicians were playing at the end of my road. Unfortunately when I was inside I could only hear thud thud thud till 11pm. There's another tomorrow starting at five, again until 11pm, could do without the thud thud but I hope people get some enjoyment .

When I was watching TV tonight I kept thinking of all the little things  we did before the pandemic that were just part of normal everyday life but are not now. I so wish we could see even a little light at the end of the tunnel.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 20 00:12 BST (UK) »
Pretty similar here Caroline. Well done with the Scrabble!

Woke to a rainy day as forecast, it's been like winter, I even had the central heating on for an hour tonight.

Was definitely going to change the bed today so stripped it then ended up pulling it out to hoover behind and as far under as possible. It has four drawers underneath so it's pretty heavy. Pulled out bedside cabinets and chest of drawers but not the wardrobe, far too heavy . Finished hoovering and dusting and realised I still had to put the fresh bedding on.

Was still raining when I had my lunch, post arrived with a small package, it was the plant labels I sent for. Hopefully with the perennials labelled I won't forget where everything is when they die back over winter. All this online ordering of even small things means that I often get small packages and can't think what I sent for. Made changes to Tesco order, the rain seemed to have stopped.

Put on a big jacket and went out, it was windy and chilly on the field and even the path through the woods was muddy. Wasn't a long walk but at least I got some fresh air.

The rugby club which is about a mile and a half away had an outdoor music event scheduled from three to 11pm, seated at tables only, no dancing. I'm amazed that it went ahead. At first I could just here a vague sound but about 5pm I went out to the garage and it was as if the musicians were playing at the end of my road. Unfortunately when I was inside I could only hear thud thud thud till 11pm. There's another tomorrow starting at five, again until 11pm, could do without the thud thud but I hope people get some enjoyment .

When I was watching TV tonight I kept thinking of all the little things  we did before the pandemic that were just part of normal everyday life but are not now. I so wish we could see even a little light at the end of the tunnel.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 August 20 00:19 BST (UK) »
No news as yet  re my friend, my daughter would like to know as she is her
Godchild .
Lovely photograph of a huge rose from Grand daughter,but it was made from sugar paste icing ! I thought it was real!
For the top of a Golden Wedding cake ,a very modern one ,tall but not big ,about sponge cake size ,seems to be the current trend.
Nice to see the “ tradition” carried on ,I made all the family celebration cakes
but more traditional .She used to watch me.
Fashions change.
Parcel in the post today, my sister has a glut of French beans !
I have a little gadget that removes the “strings “  down each side .
So beans for a few days,gave son some too.
Son has posted Flash Harry’s book and toothbrush ,hope he gets them before he starts school,I have Sept 4th in my mind but that is Friday, maybe staggered intake.
I am looking forward to hearing all about it.
My daughter’s dog who is FH’s constantly companion will be so unhappy , she is his shadow.A Border Terrier,.
Well goodnight everyone ,hope you all have a good day tomorrow.
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 20 00:44 BST (UK) »
I hope you soon get some news of your friend Viktoria and hope too that it's good news.I don't know when the children go back to school around here, only that it's next week, I just assumed it would be Tuesday, straight after the bank holiday.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 August 20 07:20 BST (UK) »
Friday was an awful day in more ways than one. It started with rain, was dull and overcast and with frequent intervals of sqally showers.
But it was more than that; it was a day which all parents must dread; it was the day on which our youngest son Nick sadly left us. He had been suffering from COPD for a number of years and this week it took its toll on him. He died at home after sterling efforts from the ambulance crews, paramedics and doctors, but to no avail.
RIP our lovely boy and God Bless You for sharing your joyful life with us.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 August 20 07:56 BST (UK) »
My sincere condolences radstockjeff to you and your family on this devastating occasion of your precious sons loss...
It isn't something that any parent wants to face and my heart goes out to you...
I'm sure you will have some good memories to cherish and that you can all look back on in time ...
Thoughts are with you and your family

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 August 20 08:36 BST (UK) »
I am so very sorry Radstockjeff.
My heart goes out to you and all the family.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 August 20 09:52 BST (UK) »
So sorry to hear of your loss Radstockjeff. My condolences to you and your family.

Deborah