Author Topic: Joseph Hinton of Sunderland 1872  (Read 1143 times)

Offline zachinton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Hinton of Sunderland 1872
« on: Saturday 29 August 20 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I need help. It's my first time using RootsChat but I've hit a brick wall and figured this is the place to come for experts.

My paternal great grandfather was Joseph Hinton. I have historic records from marriage date onwards, but I can't find or identify anything on him before that with any certainty (incl. 1881/1891 census or birth/bap records)

------
Key lifestory facts

According to the 1939 Register he was born on 04/07/1872 and the 1901/1911 census records have him born in Sunderland, Durham.

He married Elizabeth (aka Betsy) Gallagher on 26/04/1897 (I have the marriage cert), aged 24 and they were both living in Sunderland. He was a Theatre Property Master.

Within 2 years, they'd moved to Huddersfield, from the birth record of his first son John Joseph Cyril Hinton (my grandfather), on 05/11/1898. On the 1901 census they had moved to Almondbury, Yorkshire and he was a stage carpenter.

On the 1911 census they're now in Halifax, Yorkshire, with new daughter Isabel, two nieces (who I know to be on the Gallagher side - not his). And a boarder Gertrude Hoare (who I can't find any obvious family connection with).

I understand from family he lived in Halifax until he died on 05/06/1946. At some stage he was a Manager at the Grand Theatre. I have found a couple of newspaper clippings with reference to him there.

------
Additional facts / clues:

1. His wife was born in Sunderland on 29/04/1866. Parents Peter Gallagher and Catherine Dooly who emigrated from Ireland.

2. He didn't list fathers' name or profession on the birth cert. Did he not know? Was he adopted? Did he choose the new name Hinton at this point? Had he been with travelling theatre?

3. Hinton might be a misspelling or deliberate contortion. There is a Hanlon family living in Sunderland on the 1891 and 1881 census with a potential Joseph (Ancestry transcription lists it as Hanton for 1891 but is clearly Hanlon other census years). However: (a) I can trace Joseph Hanlon in later years so I think different and (b) why would he not use Hinton and name his father?

5. I've started to suspect - without strong evidence - he was Irish like his wife, or at least part-Irish. My DNA results say I'm 22% Irish/Scottish, but Elizabeth Gallagher (my great grandmother) should provide me with 1/8 = 12.5% Irish. My sister has even higher Irish/Scottish %. I have traced no other Irish or Scottish relatives in the last 200 years and have quite a complete tree elsewhere. So perhaps he immigrated from Ireland hence no English records (despite listing birth city as Sunderland)? I haven't much experience yet of searching Irish records.

-----
Apols for the very long first post, but I wanted to provide as much useful info as possible for assistance. Hope I've got the etiquette right. Either direct help or tips/pointers/ideas where to look next would all be useful.

Thank you for any help! :)
Hinton (Halifax, Sunderland, Ireland); Gallagher (Sunderland, Longford, Ireland); Roughton (Lancashire); Atkinson (Lincoln); Graham (Nottinghamshire); Lupton (Cumberland, Yorkshire); Thwaite, Morley, Cockbain (Threlkeld, Cumberland); Thorn (Devon); Leaver/Lever (Somerset); Morris (Cambridgeshire); Cayford (Wiltshire)

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Hinton of Sunderland 1872
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 20 13:13 BST (UK) »
Zac, you said he did not detail his father on the birth certificate. Which birth certificate?
Or did you mean to say his marriage certificate?

Offline zachinton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 20 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Spelk. My mistake yes - I meant the marriage certificate. I don't have a birth certificate for him.
Hinton (Halifax, Sunderland, Ireland); Gallagher (Sunderland, Longford, Ireland); Roughton (Lancashire); Atkinson (Lincoln); Graham (Nottinghamshire); Lupton (Cumberland, Yorkshire); Thwaite, Morley, Cockbain (Threlkeld, Cumberland); Thorn (Devon); Leaver/Lever (Somerset); Morris (Cambridgeshire); Cayford (Wiltshire)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 August 20 13:57 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

I understand from family he lived in Halifax until he died on 05/06/1946.

The Probate Index reveals that he was living at Well Head Drive, Halifax at the time of his death, and that probate was granted to John Joseph Cyril Hinton and Mary Isobel Haigh.

Like you I have,so far, been unable to find anything pre-1897.

What were the names of witnesses to the marriage? Any clues there. Is any residence given on the certificate other than simply 'Sunderland'?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zachinton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 20 13:59 BST (UK) »
This is a clip from the marriage cert

(protected by Crown Copyright)

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 August 20 14:10 BST (UK) »
Wondered if maybe his surname was sort of right but he had changed his given name.
Birth q3 1872 John Henry HENTON mmn BURDESS Sunderland 10a 674. However he died same qtr so no use.

Offline zachinton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 August 20 14:10 BST (UK) »
JenB - yes probate was to his children.

Witnesses were:

Annie Pybus - Elizabeth Gallagher's niece.

I confess - the other name I haven't been able to ready properly or track down and is therefore a relevant thread to follow still. You should be able to see in the image above if it posted okay - looks like S. Pinnear perhaps?

Address at time of marriage was 19 Farringtons [something] (Avenue perhaps, but looks like Pair or Parish). I have tried to look into that, I couldn't find anything useful related to Farringtons Avenue or similar but if you have tips on how to use that for more investigation here that would be great.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 August 20 14:57 BST (UK) »
Have you eliminated Joseph Hanton living in Sunderland , living with his widowed mother Catherine Hanton, born St Helens in 1891 ,siblings Mary aged 23 and Thomas aged 19,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 August 20 15:00 BST (UK) »
The address is 19 Farringtons Row, which was 'The Eagle Tavern' in 1891. The occupants in 1891 were a family called Elliott + two servants.
Perhaps Joseph was just lodging there in 1897?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk