Author Topic: Joseph Hinton of Sunderland 1872  (Read 1174 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Hinton of Sunderland 1872
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 August 20 15:13 BST (UK) »
Have you eliminated Joseph Hanton living in Sunderland , living with his widowed mother Catherine Hanton, born St Helens in 1891 ,siblings Mary aged 23 and Thomas aged 19,

Looking at the original, I think the surname there is Hanlon  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 August 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
 it looks more like Hanlon when you look at the census itself
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 August 20 15:22 BST (UK) »
Yes Hanlon Joseph 1874 and Thomas 1871 mother Middlehurst
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline zachinton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 August 20 21:48 BST (UK) »
Have you eliminated Joseph Hanton living in Sunderland , living with his widowed mother Catherine Hanton, born St Helens in 1891 ,siblings Mary aged 23 and Thomas aged 19

I had spent time on this as at first glance it seemed possible. I believe it's not the same person. I think this one went on to marry Isabella (Green?) and in the 1901 census is living in Middlesbrough working as shipyard worker, with two children Joseph 3 and Minnie 1.

This Joseph Hanlon's timeline would be:
  • 1874 birth index: registration record in Jan-Mar
  • 1881 census: living with family in Bishopwearmouth on Lime St, with William Hanlon from Ireland head of house, Catherine wife, John, William, Mary, Thomas and James siblings
  • 1889 death index: father William died
  • 1891 census: living with widowed mother Catherine Hanlon/Hanton, born St Helens, siblings Mary aged 23, Thomas aged 19. Listed as a boilersmith apprentice.
  • 1901 census: Joseph living in Middlesbrough working as shipyard worker, now married to Isabella (nee Green?), with two children Joseph 3 and Minnie 1
  • Also 1901 census: Joseph's mother Catherine Hanlon aged 65 widow, now working as housekeeper for Robert Emmerson family in St Andrews, North Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland
I think it's not the same because:
  • I can't find any Joseph Hanlons born in Sunderland within those few years other than the above so I think the 1901 entry contradicts my Joseph Hinton's 1901 Almondbury entry
  • Discrepancies in birth registration year, plus name (which would have to be a deliberate name change rather than misspelling in this case), plus the fact William was not listed on Joseph's marriage cert as father even though he would have lived with him up to age 15, plus the discrepancy in job

Can't be 100% on this but I don't think it adds up - especially on my point 1 above

Yes Hanlon Joseph 1874 and Thomas 1871 mother Middlehurst
One question please Radcliff: what did you mean by 'mother Middlehurst'?
Hinton (Halifax, Sunderland, Ireland); Gallagher (Sunderland, Longford, Ireland); Roughton (Lancashire); Atkinson (Lincoln); Graham (Nottinghamshire); Lupton (Cumberland, Yorkshire); Thwaite, Morley, Cockbain (Threlkeld, Cumberland); Thorn (Devon); Leaver/Lever (Somerset); Morris (Cambridgeshire); Cayford (Wiltshire)

Offline zachinton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 August 20 21:53 BST (UK) »
The address is 19 Farringtons Row, which was 'The Eagle Tavern' in 1891. The occupants in 1891 were a family called Elliott + two servants.
Perhaps Joseph was just lodging there in 1897?

JenB - this is really useful, thanks. Leads me to think even more that he was temporarily in Sunderland rather than born / living there permanently. This is a good thread for me to explore further.

The only evidence I have that he was born in Sunderland were on the 1901/1911 census records so I've begun to doubt this more.
Hinton (Halifax, Sunderland, Ireland); Gallagher (Sunderland, Longford, Ireland); Roughton (Lancashire); Atkinson (Lincoln); Graham (Nottinghamshire); Lupton (Cumberland, Yorkshire); Thwaite, Morley, Cockbain (Threlkeld, Cumberland); Thorn (Devon); Leaver/Lever (Somerset); Morris (Cambridgeshire); Cayford (Wiltshire)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 August 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
One question please Radcliff: what did you mean by 'mother Middlehurst?

Mother’s maiden surname was Middlehurst  :)

Offline zachinton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 August 20 22:14 BST (UK) »
Mother’s maiden surname was Middlehurst  :)

Ah yes, thanks :)  ... but I guess I really meant how did you identify her maiden name as Middlehurst? As I couldn't find a suitable match for that. Thx

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 August 20 22:18 BST (UK) »
Mother’s maiden surname is shown against births on the GRO Index https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Offline zachinton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 August 20 00:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that's awesome. I didn't know it was that easy. I'd relied on index searches on Ancestry which are inconsistent in whether they show the maiden name.

I'll some more digging next on the address at marriage, the theatre link, the other marriage witness and my Irish hunch. Any other suggestions for routes to explore would be great.