Author Topic: Marriage lookup ... Edgar King *COMPLETED*  (Read 460 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage lookup ... Edgar King *COMPLETED*
« on: Saturday 29 August 20 09:17 BST (UK) »
Edgar King, born circa 1813, sailed to New Zealand on the Wellington and landed at Auckland on 2 January 1882. Two of his children, Teresa Eve King (baptised 1866) and John King (born circa 1872) sailed with him.

Edgar died at about 7.30 pm on 29 April 1884, when he fell from the railway bridge over the Taieri River as he and his son John attempted to walk from Henley to Mosgiel in the dark. They had missed the last train from Henley to Dunedin, and were hoping to catch a later train at Mosgiel.

Newspaper reports speak of a "wife and seven children" who were left destitute by his death ... which implies that he probably married again soon after arriving in New Zealand, and that his new wife was probably a widow with children of her own (although it is of course possible that they were married during the voyage ... )

It is reported that at the time of his death, Edgar lived in St Andrew Street, Dunedin ... although this was not where he lived for the whole of his short time in New Zealand: on first arriving, he opened a sarsaparilla store at 96 Grey Street Auckland, and this is given as his address in a press report of 15 February 1882. This venture did not pay, and he went to work instead at the New Zealand Clothing Factory in Dunedin as a cutter (his old trade from when he lived in England). He left this employment a few weeks before his death, having become too old to work.

That's all I have on his time in New Zealand so far ... but if anyone is able to find a record of his marriage in New Zealand, I should be exceedingly grateful, as I do not have access to New Zealand records myself.

All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup ... Edgar King
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 20 09:41 BST (UK) »

Grey River Argus 2 May 1884   p2
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/GRA18840502.2.9.14?

The inquest on Edgar KING was held today. .He was over 70 years of age, and fell into the Taieri River when crossing the railway bridge with his son aged 15.

It is his daughter and family who have gone to Auckland  and her husband is in England. Verdict accidental death.

What marriage and children do you have for his daughter?

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 20 10:56 BST (UK) »
That's really interesting, Wivenhoe: the Evening Star, Issue 6589, 1 May 1884 reported that  John King had intended "to proceed with [Edgar] and the rest of his family to Auckland by the brig Camille ... The vessel, with his family on board (a wife and seven children), waited for his appearance until daybreak yesterday morning, and then proceeded on her voyage. The deceased's wife and children are left entirely destitute, and will not hear of their bereavement until they arrive at Auckland."

The New Zealand Herald, Volume XXI, Issue 7011, 7 May 1884 reports that "[Edgar's] married daughter (Mrs Streat) and family of five arrived in Dunedin last February by the ship Wellington ... Mrs Streat was to come on to New Zealand and settle down with her father and family while her husband finished his term of thirty years at Reid and Co.'s brewery, London, for which he will receive a pension."

So now I'm wondering whether it WAS Edgar's wife and seven children who were waiting for them on the Camille, or Mrs Streat and her FIVE children. Hmmmmmmm ...

I don't suppose passenger lists for internal voyages such as that of the Camille from Dunedin to Auckland on 30 April 1884 are still available. Or are they??
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 20 11:32 BST (UK) »
That's absolutely BRILLIANT, Mckha ... many thanks. Another little conundrum safely put to bed. How powerful we can be as a community when we all help one another out!

The only piece of the jigsaw that I'm now missing is a copy of the interment record from Greytown Cemetery ... but I don't think I need that as I have been sent a copy of the death certificate!

(Knowing this board, before I can blink some helpful soul will have posted a photo of the headstone ... but I'm certainly not asking for that!!)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 August 20 11:45 BST (UK) »
Use-

https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/

Search........ Augustus James STREAT

Finds Probate file for......... Augustus  James STREAT , died 1924

Images of 10 page documents are accessible at this site.

Page 4 is death certifcate for  Augustus James STREAT , 46 years, born London, 40 years in the colony...parents George STREAT and Mary KING.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup ... Edgar King *COMPLETED*
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 August 20 11:49 BST (UK) »
That will be the boy Augustin, who we saw arriving on the Wellington with his mother and four siblings in January 1884.

The name Augustine is quite common in this branch of the family ... and finding records is far from difficult when the name you're looking for is Augustine King-Spooner!

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup ... Edgar King *COMPLETED*
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 August 20 02:11 BST (UK) »
For the cemetery record:

https://www.swdc.govt.nz/cemeteries#Search

I suggest you e-mail Amenities Administration.  :)

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.