Author Topic: Help! Windows 97 to 365  (Read 1534 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help! Windows 97 to 365
« on: Saturday 29 August 20 15:51 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, oh dear!

Our Windows 10 licence was running out and because of other stuff we do on the PC, we decided to go for the full Office suite running Windows 365.  Before we did so, I tidied up some very messy file folders under my Genealogy heading and put every document/certificate/registration/'story' that wasn't already there on the appropriate tree on Ancestry.  Because they were all 'safe' (and every one readable  at that time on Ancestry) I deleted the originals.

We've now got 365 up and running and everything was hunky-dory...UNTIL (there's always an 'until'!!) I opened one of the Word documents, which was actually the transcript of an 1853 letter which contains A LOT of information.  I couldn't read it!!  It puts up an Error Message telling me to "Open the file with Text Recovery Converter".  Now this is one of the very few I missed in the deletion process so I still do have a copy of it (phew...).  I opened it up from File Explorer, all good and readable.  I deleted the one out of Ancestry and re-attached the File Explorer copy.  It still gives me the same message.  And all Word documents are the same throughout the various trees.  Every other type of 'picture' in the Galleries are fine - census forms, BMD registration documents, etc.  So what can I do?  Can anyone help?  Please... (and can you hear that I'm relapsing into a whine :'()

Any assistance would be most gratefully received.  Thank you.

lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Windows 97 to 365
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 20 16:02 BST (UK) »
Shaun:
Thanks for the link.  It's not that I can't open the Word document in the new 365.  It's that I cannot open this document in Ancestry.  As I said, I opened it up in File Explorer and, as everything seemed okay, I deleted the one off Ancestry and reloaded with the FE version...still won't open in Ancestry.  Not sure what to do now.  Would I be able to convert it to jpeg or other version that the site does take and then enter it onto the site?  Not sure if I can do that either.

I'm okay using Office Suite, just not capable on the technical side!

lydiaann
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 00:32 BST (UK) »
The only way I can find to add a Word document to a tree is to upload it as Media to the Gallery. Ancestry doesn't know how to show a preview, so offers to let you download it so that you can then view it at your end.

Ancestry only seems to give a preview of pictures; other file types are left for you to deal with.

Is this what you have done, or is there some other way of attaching a Word document to an Ancestry tree?

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 09:15 BST (UK) »
You attach a Word document into the Gallery by inputting it as a 'story', rather than as Media, which then accepts .doc items.  I have loads of them scattered around - some of them extracts of newspaper articles, copies of items that other rellies have found in obscure places, etc. Can't remember where they all are but the problem was highlighted when someone asked for some information and I knew I had it in one particular document.  As I said, fortunately this one was one of the very few that escaped the delete button when I was tidying up ready for the new Windows program.  Very frustrating.  I'll have to see if I can re-type it in the new version of Word and enter it again...g-r-r-r!  I hope I don't have to do that with all of them!

for anyone out there who knows, I am still grappling with this .... pretty please! ???
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 09:24 BST (UK) »
I've tried it again, using "upload story", and the effect is the same. I've tried .DOC, .DOCX and even .TXT; only pictures get a preview.

The Gallery just shows "Preview not available", "Download to view".

What do you see under Gallery? What do you see when you click on one of the "thumbnails"?
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 14:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I thought you didn't know how to do it.  Yes, you can upload it but then when you come to view it, 'you download' it, so you know it is there.  However, when I upload it and then try to view it through the 'download' instruction, it tells me to "Open the File with Text Recovery Converter".  Most annoying...these instructions are designed to convert the file while you are actually in Word and not going through Ancestry so it doesn't work. 

However, I am going to try retyping into the new Word and then uploading it.  It's very trying as it's more work but I do want those who can access my trees to be able to see all the information.

Thanks for trying to help anyway - it is most appreciated!
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 14:37 BST (UK) »
It was a brave thing to entrust your documents to a 3rd party website and not keep copies!
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 September 20 15:44 BST (UK) »
It must be a 'glitch' as Himself has tried to open a document received through e-mail and is finding the same problem.  He has found that moving it into 'One Drive' is a help and he can read it there, but once it is transferred into the appropriate file, it will not open.  So, I guess a chat with MS is in order.  Thanks for trying to help me, Chatters - much appreciated.
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee