Author Topic: McCarthy - O'Connell Cork/Kerry area  (Read 546 times)

Offline BM813

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCarthy - O'Connell Cork/Kerry area
« on: Saturday 29 August 20 22:52 BST (UK) »
My grandfather Patrick McCarthy was born 4 March 1906 in Upper Ardgroom. His parents were Daniel & Julia (nee O'Connell) McCarthy.  His family lived on a home along what is now R571 (area known as Cappacloghernane).  The home is still on the road and unknown if occupied.  Many McCarthy family relations are buried in the old Kilmakilloge cemetery, Co. Kerry.
      His parents were born in the area, married in Boston in the late 1890's and returned to the town with their daughter Mary b. 1902.  His other siblings were Catherine who married Eugene O'Sullivan and they lived off R573 in Tuosist. He had four brothers Daniel, Charles, John and William. I don't believe they ever married and I know very little of their lives. I do not have much information on the brothers other than two brothers remained with their mother until she died in 1969 at age 93.  I know there are many family McCarthy and O'Connell relations still in the area and obtained some family history from Riobard O'Dwyer. 
I was just hoping to fill in some family history if anyone is willing to discuss.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCarthy - O'Connell Cork/Kerry area
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 20 23:02 BST (UK) »

My grandfather Patrick McCarthy was born 4 March 1906 in Upper Ardgroom. His parents were Daniel & Julia (nee O'Connell) McCarthy ...

Born 4 April 1906:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1906/01734/1685416.pdf

Offline BM813

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 20 23:35 BST (UK) »
There has always been some issues with his exact date of birth. In 1931 he obtained a certificate from  the Parish of Eyeries that indicated his birth date was March 4, 1906 and baptized on March 11. I don't think he truly knew which month he was born in until later in life. Thank you for providing the document.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 August 20 00:00 BST (UK) »
Looks like Julia was living in Springwell Kenmare when she died in Kenmare Hospital on 26 Nov.
Irish Examiner Nov 28 1969
Julia McCarthy relict of Daniel formerly of Ardgroom
Funeral Holy Cross Church to Old Kenmare.
No other relatives mentioned.

Offline BM813

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 August 20 00:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Is it a small obituary in the paper?  I know that she was buried in the Old Kenmare cemetery.
My grandfather visited his mother along with me and my family two months prior to her passing in Sept 1969. I have a vague recollection of visiting and sitting with her as she was bedridden.
    I was told that it was if she had always been waiting to see her son Patrick who left for America in the the 1920's.

Our family always wondered what happened to his other brothers. I believe one or two may be buried with her in Kenmare. 

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 August 20 14:54 BST (UK) »
It's just a death notice.
I'm not having any luck with the newspapers, though I'd found a death for Charlie in 1999 but this man had a brother Mick.
The are McCarthys in Ardgroom just not the correct names.

Offline BM813

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 August 20 16:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you fro looking..and getting back to me