Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 29th August  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 29th August
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 August 20 15:56 BST (UK) »
Viktoria for soome odd reason l had your lovely story as a PM.  ::)
I will attempt to copy and paste it to the thread shortly.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 August 20 16:05 BST (UK) »
You made me chuckle about the dog, did anyone take a picture ?

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 August 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
Here is VIKTORIA's lost post.....
Well folks .August weddings, mine was a torrential downpour,18/8/56.
The photographer was more interested in keeping his camera dry,

The Church Hall where we had the reception was quite damp so the children guests running round made the flor vibrate and the three tier cake fell down!
Top tier rolled along the table,BUT, it was not our cake ,my Mum had baked the three tiers and the confectioner commented on how level they were .
So why was there so much marzipan levelling the cake that fell ?
Why were there hideous ornaments on it when I had chosen only white and silver ?
A neighbour ,a dear lady who wanted to help was so excited she forgot to take her wellies off !
A little girl thought I was the Queen.
But the best bit was when the speeches had just started ,a tiny little old lady came in ,she was recognised as the local midwife ,long retired, and had delivered me!
My brother in law was just about to make his speech as Best Man when someone said,loudly, “ Oh! It is the midwife“—
“ Well” said my b in l “ I have heard of shotgun weddings but this is ridiculous!”
She always seemed to get news if the babies she had delivered,most were home deliveries in those days.
As much as could go wrong did ,lots more silly things but after that everything was fine.
And as some of you will know it lasted 58 years ,
People think I have made the above up Oh!——- one more thing- the dear old soul who wanted to help had poorly fitting false teeth and when she smiled they often fell down ,the top ones , and when in the evening serving Sherry and cake she smiled at everyone .
But what a dear kind soul she was , and asked could she keep the little lace apron and hat,like those waitresses wore , Mum had  made them for the helpers. All friends.
Things were done much more simply in those days and yet after rationing a chicken and ham tea with salad etc ,trifle and fancy cakes was quite posh!
What a day to remember, many more incidents but what a laugh.
Don’t know what it cost ,not much ,photographer was £ 30, I remember.
But the midwife incident was so funny ,my M in Law’s face though  ::)
I sometimes wonder if my brother in law organised that, he was a wag!
Cheerio, and hope you all have some happy memories .
Jeff, you will too but I appreciate how at the moment even happy memories add to your sadness. Viktoria.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 August 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
What an absolute hoot, I have just laughed out loud

When we  were were at the reception, just us 2, the bridesmaids car had broken down and we were the only ones there,  my husband turned to me and said " have you got any money", well I can't remember what my reply was but I have since said he married me for my money, what had happened was he had spent all his cash that morning, our honeymoon was booked to Jersey that evening, so off we went to Jersey and within a couple of days we had to go to the bank, well you would have thought we were about to rob the bank the questions we  were asked, no check cards in those days but we did manage to get some cash eventually

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 30 August 20 17:40 BST (UK) »
Deleted
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 30 August 20 19:15 BST (UK) »
Well I have just picked myself off the floor laughing at Viktoria's tale of her wedding.... your descriptions are wonderful and you can visualise it all!
To last for 58 years is a great achievement and I hope we can get there too... currently 47 yrs married...

Snap LM we went to Jersey for our honeymoon too! We flew from Bristol airport and spent the time in the taxi there trying to get rid of all the confetti we'd been covered in! The taxi driver said not to worry as he'd only be ferrying drunks around in the evening!
We got to the airport and headed to respective loos to divest ourselves of the rest that was forming a trail behind us... only to be pounced on by another lot of people who'd followed their bride and groom to the airport poor things!
Even  when I got my purse out to pay for a cuppa it was full of rice!
As was our suitcase when we got to the hotel we left a little pile on the floor and apologised to the hotel reception...
Happy days despite August weather, rain first day in Jersey, cloudless for the rest of the time.
No, LM no one took a picture of the dog... I scarpered and mother went into the kitchen and the dog got a good ticking off from dad... think he thought he was still in the army. The dog looked suitably humble but in the end it was dad's fault for leaving them out in the first place.... not that anyone would have said that to him!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK