Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 29th August  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 29th August
« on: Saturday 29 August 20 23:13 BST (UK) »
Another cold and wet day, it was raining when I got up and continued for some hours. I wanted to get outside before lunch and it seemed to have stopped when I went out to the bin so I took the opportunity. It was windy on the field, only one dog walker there, I went through the woods where it was a bit calmer, a couple of dog walkers there. When I came back onto the field it started raining again, I did a quick circuit and then home as the wind was making me breathless.
Finally remembered to put the washer on to do the clothes I put in there a couple of days ago. Had to hang it indoors of course.

After lunch I did some painting with acrylic pour, I'm quite pleased with how it's gone so far. I don't usually watch TV in the afternoons but I put it on for a while, I've watched a couple of episodes of Incredible Medicine: Dr. Weston's Casebook. It was on BBC2, now on iPlayer. It certainly is incredible. Four more episodes to watch.

Another do at the rugby club, started at five but they were tuning up for some time before that then it's been thud thud again all evening, could only hear the drums and bass beat. It's after eleven now, it was supposed to finish at eleven but there's still something vague in the background.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 29th August
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 August 20 00:07 BST (UK) »
Oh dear it's not fun listenening to the thud of bass music and all evening too...
Good to hear you're pleased with your painting... you ought to post a picture of  the finished article so we can see what the end result of this technique is like...
I like to have the tv on when I'm ironing or card making even if I'm doing more listening than watching!

Woke up at about 5.30 am this morning but managed to get back to sleep until about 7.30... read for a while ..OH up early for golf so I got up to as wanted to put the washing out before rain due this afternoon...
My it was quite chilly outside in my dressing gown at 8.30am!
I'd planned to go to the post office early and pop into the coop....
Best laid plans and all that...
Had to phone my SiL for nieces new address as she'd not responded to my whatsapp message yesterday and I needed to get the card posted....
She was all ready for a chat but said I'd call back later once I was back home...
Had to check something in fridge/freezer we keep in the garage and discovered I'd not closed the freezer door properly and so had to take stuff out and put into a cool bag with ice packs... fortunately not much in there as been running it down as I do sometimes...
Sprayed it with some freezer stuff and left it all switched off while I went out.. by now not as early as I'd intended...
Once I returned I had quick look at freezer, scraped some ice, sprayed it again then phoned SiL....
An hour later after we'd had a good old chat it was now lunch time!
Decided to cut out some more face coverings as not done a thing for over a week now... found something to watch on my iPad on Chanel 5...
OH returned around 2pm...
he timed it well as it started to rain... dashed out to get washing in..
It's more like winter today, dark clouds, chilly and more rain for the rest of the a/noon..
freezer finally finished defrosting so cleaned it all out and set fast freeze on..
Continued to do more cutting out and finished of the last few coverings I'd started over a week ago...
OH cooked usual steak and trimmings tonight enjoyed with couple of glasses of wine... felt so cold despite having trousers, socks, long sleeve top and a fleece on I put heating on for an hour just took the chill off... how mad for August... last year we had friends staying and it was 33C we went to Wrest Park where they'd got a live band playing...we sat and enjoyed it in the shade of the big trees there..
We watched a new series ( for us anyway) on Netflix which was quite good...
Next door have got both their outside lights blazing... last night OH said he couldn't sleep as they were on all night shining through the ensuite into the bedroom, despite having blackout blinds!... and they're on again tonight... I did send him an email to ask if they could switch them off when they go to bed... obviously not read it yet!
That's about it for today...
wonder what life's going to be like in the winter.... not sure I want to think about it to be honest...
SiL quite upset about if and when she's going to see her two little granddaughters who live in Singapore...she misses them a great deal and they used to fly out there frequently but not now...
Another day of not very much really...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 August 20 00:08 BST (UK) »
Very cold here today ,got the electric blanket  on ,just so it is cosy when I get into bed.
I get cramps so easily.
So much rain,it is as if Spring is Summer, Summer is Autumn and then Winter
the rest of the time!
When do figs ripen, on my tree there are four almost big enough  but still hard and green.
Lots of small ones too,Malteser size.
Bramleys fattening up ,but so many lost to the high winds.
Might get a cherry tree, a huge Variegated Dogwood is taking up space ,but the red stems are nice in winter.
However the birds that sit in a big Ash tree will steal them no doubt.
Just watching the last ever episode of Father Ted, used to like it.
Well up the wooden stairs to Bedfordshire !
Goodnight everyone.
Viktoria.

taking up space

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 August 20 02:06 BST (UK) »
Woke to an overcast sky and before long we had light rain that persisted just about all day.  Quite breezy too looking at the trees at the rear of our car park but not poked my nose outside today.

Decided to spring clean the kitchen - took much longer than I thought so not quite finished.  Will finish off tomorrow.   Watched some Midsummer Murders (2), did some Soduko and was on Rootschat for a while.

Had fish and chips for dinner (my Saturday treat) with a glass of wine.   

I so hate these 'murky' days and admire you, Roobarb, for continuing with your walks.   Tomorrow forecast to be breezy again, cloudy changing to sunny intervals by late morning.  Highest temperature 18C.  Still, at least supposed to be dry all day which is a bonus after our weather of past few days.   Supposed to have been going to a BBQ at a friends on Monday but she has reluctantly cancelled it as it's supposed to be cold and windy so not exactly BBQ weather.

Will catch up on Rootschat then to bed.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LissyM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 August 20 10:00 BST (UK) »
Good morning all,

What a fantastic forum I seem to have serendipitously stumbled upon, and in my exploration of the site this morning I have come across these diary posts. I've been so meaning to get back into keeping some sort of daily record...I look forward to joining you on these posts.   

I have read the last few entries, and whilst hoping not to sound too daft as I do not know you (or anyone here - yet!), I feel I have to say that my thoughts are with Jeff on the loss of your son (who looks as warm and bubbly as can be); and for Viktoria, hoping the best for your friend.

Thanks for starting this great idea  :)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 August 20 10:02 BST (UK) »
Sounds like it's been a cold wet day everywhere, doesn't exactly lift the spirits does it? I too wonder what it's going to be like in the winter, I always tend to go into hibernation mode in the autumn, hard to drag myself out of bed and to go out places but at least I do go out when I rally myself round. Nowhere to go this year but I do intend to carry on with the walks and I think that will help.

Caroline, my freezer is in the garage too and I've done the same thing as you but luckily it's been in the depths of winter so the food hadn't defrosted, the freezer just made lots of frost! Hope your neighbours remember to turn out the lights tonight.

I don't know when figs ripen Viktoria, not looking too promising now is it? Perhaps we'll get an Indian summer after this cold spell and they might ripen then.

Annette, what a shame about the BBQ. That's the trouble with August bank holiday, we expect the weather to be good as it's in August but sadly it often isn't.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 August 20 10:09 BST (UK) »
Well August can be nice, one in my memory 1964, 29th August when I got married, it was a very hot day,  but often BH weekends tend to be a bit of a washout, for some this year will be the same

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 August 20 12:39 BST (UK) »
Well it's my daughters wedding Anniversay today and on the day 12 years ago we were in doubt if the ceremony would be held outside or not... in the event it was a beautiful day so we breathed a sigh of relief...
My son got married on 14th August and again an outside ceremony that too was clouded in will it won't it ( rain that is) and we were again lucky!
We married on 4th August and it rained as we came out of the church...
August doesn't bode well for weddings in our family!

Welcome LissyM to the RC forum... we will look forward to your daily posts.

Annette what a shame about your BBQ... sadly the weather seems to be chilling down, so let's hope as Roobarb says we get an Indian summer it would lift our spirits for the forthcoming winter!

I'm a dab hand at not shutting doors as always onto the next thing or got stuff in my hand.... I will learn one day... just as well it was almost empty and made me do a job I hate. My kitchen one is a self defrost one but the garage one was my mums ( before self defrosting ones came out) and I had that job to do for her!

Not sure about figs Viktoria.... can you bring them in and put them on a windowsill in the warmth to continue ripening, I do that with toms and it seems to work....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 August 20 13:00 BST (UK) »
Managed a good walk down to Preston before lunch, though we had to avoid the very busy prom and walk across the flood fields all the way of course, but it was worth it to watch an egret fishing on the rocks for a while.  We had hoped the community cafe would have re-opened, but not yet.
H watched a rugby match on TV after lunch..... I hate the manic commentary, but I tried to block it out while concentrating on writing up my latest family history findings.  Delighted to note Ancestry home access via library membership has been extended till end of September.
Was able to sit on the balcony a bit during the afternoon as the building blocks the North winds.
Another walk after tea in a surprisingly pleasant evening. The sky was full of dark heavy rain clouds lit bright pink from below as the sun was setting. Quite remarkable!

Good to see you are relentlessly keeping fit with your walks Roobarb. Yes, a photo of your acrylic pouring would be good. 
Hats off to Caroline, always busy and even more face coverings!  It is very sad that we none of us know how long before we can visit loved ones overseas again.
Glad to know your dear friend is rallying a little Viktoria.
Hope RTL is coping ok.  Welcome LissyM, and hugs to Jeff.
 :-*
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.