Author Topic: Diary - Sunday, 30 August 2020  (Read 1569 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Sunday, 30 August 2020
« on: Sunday 30 August 20 08:59 BST (UK) »
Starting early today - beating you both in the orderly queue Caroline and Roobarb.  ;)  I am travelling on my first bus en route to a 12 hour dayshift.  It feels so cold now - like Autumn is definitely upon us.  The bus is quite busy for a Sunday.

If you might read this Jeff I add to Victoria's comments that I also hope you were able to sleep okay last night.

I am glad to read that there has been some improvement with your friend Viktoria and that hopefully she will be able to spend her last days at home. 

Annette, I am glad the scissors have turned up - and were not accidentally thrown out.

Sometimes it is hard to keep up with the days on here. Hope everyone has a nice day.  Also, thanks for the supportive comment on Thursday, Mowsehowse.  :-*

Added: I have just reached the bus station in Newcastle.  It feels very cold here, with a drafty wind.  I can hear lots of chatter in the background and someone is playing music.  I have been trying to carefully walk in the right lanes on my way to the station after getting off the first bus.  For a while now there has been painted arrows on the ground to help people maintain distance when walking between other people.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Sunday, 30 August 2020
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 August 20 14:04 BST (UK) »
You've certainly beaten us there RTL! The weather is forecast to warm up a bit this week so hopefully that cold wind will drop. Hope your shift has gone well, maybe you'll join in again on your way home.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 August 20 21:59 BST (UK) »
Well it's evening now, time to add to RTL's diary.

The rain had gone today and it was a bright morning. Got an email to say that my parcel from Amazon that was scheduled for delivery tomorrow was coming today. I didn't get the alerts that told me where the driver was but he soon arrived. Whoever would have thought that we'd be getting parcels delivered by a man wearing a face mask? He handed the parcel to me, I don't think they're supposed to do that, they normally leave them on the step and wait for me to answer the door.

Was feeling quite fed up so decided to go and have a walk on the beach for a change. I don't usually go down there at weekends but thought I'd make an exception. It was warmer than yesterday but I still needed a jacket.

Driving to the beach I got a flat tyre alert, it doesn't usually mean the tyre is flat, just that the pressure is down. When I parked the car I had a look at all the tyres, wasn't sure which one it was, they always look pretty flat to me. The rear passenger side looked a bit flatter, I would have to check it on the way home. I didn't have any money with me but I keep a few coins in the car, I haven't used any cash since March.

When I got down to the beach there were more people walking there than I've seen before, there were about forty people in my eyesight. It doesn't sound many but there aren't usually more than a handful when the weather isn't suitable for sitting on the sand. The tide was midway between low and high, the wind was coming form the North and was quite chilly. I didn't stay as long as usual, I won't go at the weekend again.

Went to the petrol station to check the tyres, there are dispensers with plastic gloves which I needed to use as I didn't have any in the car. They were enormous! Went round the tyres, one needed a little bit of air, of course it was the last one that needed a lot of air. I was struggling to unscrew the dust cap, got it off eventually and it sprung out of my hand, I blew the tyre up then searched for the cap, they always seem to land on gravel where it's difficult to see them. Found it eventually. Strangely enough I felt like I was back in the real world.

Came home and had some lunch then went out in the back garden. The lawn was dry enough to cut so did that and some deadheading. Wrote and placed some of the plant labels that I'd bought. It was nice and warm in the sunshine.

My Tesco delivery arrived about 5.15, as soon as the driver came to the door he said What on earth is that noise? I told him it was an event at the Rugby club and this was three days in a row. He said that would drive him mad. It's driving me mad too, just thud thud thud yet again. Scheduled to finish at 10.30 tonight. Could be worse, I was reading in the news of an illegal rave in South Wales attended by three thousand people. A man who lives 14 miles away said it kept him awake.

Hope everyone has had a good day.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 August 20 22:54 BST (UK) »
I can’t understand the need for  that  pervasive ,invasive ,thud thud thud!
Surely there are restrictions about it.
I would tell all I knew and more ,if that was used as torture!
It really interferes with my thought processes.

lWell  chanced some washing and got it dry.
Took some scones to neighbour ,then next but one neighbour who did not answer the door.
I thought he was probably in his back garden so went down the side lane to see, guess who looked out of their window—- the neighbour who was so verbally abusive a week or so ago.
It looked as if I was noseying.
Guess what though ,they are half way through building an  extension, it looks
enormous .
I asked the  builders who modernised here how easy it would be to make my extension bigger - before I bought it, and they said it was the maximum allowed .
Sooooo? Is the one at the nasty neighbours ‘ illegal.Much larger  than mine.
I am saying nothing as it does not affect me ,but it overshadows one house a great deal.I expect they will do something IF they know the regulations.
On the other hand they may let him get the roof on and then do something ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Went back to my house and dash! I had lost my key fob ,so back again retracing my steps ,praying he was not still looking out of his window and I thought of Roobarb ,having that sort of thing very very often.
Eventually found it ,on my neighbour’s step.
Phoned sister re beans which were delicious,very tender.
Son who moved phoned ,he sounds much more upbeat .
Wanted to know which wild animal was Flash Harry’s favourite ,had seen some chairs ,like animals and wanted to get him one.
Flash Harry phoned to say Thankyou for his book about the baking wolf ,and his toothbrush.
The parcel was   only posted on Thursday,got there yesterday.
Well early to bed tonight,no Morse.
Bank Holiday Monday!
How exciting that  used to be, a day trip to Blackpool, or the big fair at Daisy Nook, or a special Speedway event at BelleVue.
Tomorrow, ? Nowt, nuffin, not even the monkey walk.
For the uninitiated that consisted of  getting dressed up and a group of girls walking past a group of boys whom the girls studiously ignored ,until the boys would invite you into The Temperance  Bar, or The Milk Bar ,where you would get high on Horliks or Hot Vimto , whilst the juke box played .
How we stood the  excitement I do not know!
Many marriages followed that lasted , such innocent activities and yet at the time they were really frowned on ,that is why we did it!
Thanks for all your news, keep well everyone , I hope to hear some more of my friend’s progress.
Daughter phones tomorrow,I get all the news of Flash Harry.
Got some today but more of a thankyou call.
Cheerio. Sleep well , and many thanks to those of you travelling to work and are keeping things going .
I am off to bed ,will go down memory lane and have a good laugh !I will
look at my Wedding album and the fallen cake , even Miss Havershan’s did not fall and that was inhabited by mice !
AND I bet it had the right ornaments on it!
However,she was jilted at the altar !

Goodnight,Viktoria.( Everything happens to me!)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 August 20 23:03 BST (UK) »
My goodness RTL has beaten us by a country mile today! Hope her shift has gone well and she survives the journey home to have a good sleep. It's interesting she comments on the distance arrows I have noticed that people aren't quite as careful as they have been in the past which makes it difficult and I have had strange looks when I've stepped well out of the way.

My Roobarb you've had a productive day.. I thought you were going to say your tyre was flat when you got back to your car... phew ... don't think I'd know what to do to put air in my tyres or even what pressure they should have! Pity the beach was busy after you'd made the effort to go somewhere different... awful that you've had to put up with that thudding noise for three days now... as for these people going to raves, no thought for others, they've broken one up in Thetford Forest only 500 people but thats to many too...

Today has been a very lazy day for me... weather was mixed, sunny one minute and felt warm, next it was cloudy looked like rain and chilly...
Sundays paper reading morning, few good articles in the magazine, crossword hit and miss, main paper just gets a quick read, already getting fed up with hearing what's going to happen in schools now terrifying parents... my two grandsons don't start back until Monday 7th Sept...
Striped one if the beds but decided not to wash today... can just hear my aunt saying... washings not to be done on a Sunday dear... so it'll go on over night..
OH was making bread this morning but didn't remember until later than usual.... so that's going to mean a VERY late lunch!
Had a shower and washed my hair... did some exercises and stretching... had to do something to stop thinking about lunch!
Sent daughter a message wishing them a Happy Anniversary... 12 years today..
I got 16 photos back, the boys in swimmers on Harlech beach, rather them than me but it was bluish skies!
Them all at Aber Waterfall near Conway and some views from their place looking at the mountains... glad they're having a good time.
Ok so now it's nearly 3pm and we had lunch...... it's always worth the wait though as he does bake lovely bread... cheese, pickles, celery and an apple...
We had a game of scrabble and I won again so now I'm two in the lead......
decided I'd see what was in the freezer that needs eating for dinner and found several containers with slices of pork in various sauces/ gravies so defrosted them all put them together added some carrots and topped with sliced potatoes, spring onions and grated Parmesan baked in the oven. It was very tasty...
Watched Antiques Roadshow, then golf... I read and now writing this diary....
That's it for today...
Tomorrow I must get on with those face coverings and the ironing!

Look forward to hearing others diaries.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 August 20 23:11 BST (UK) »
Viktoria - your posts are a breath of fresh air!   You always make me smile.

Afraid I've had a very lazy day so nothing of any note to report - forecast was for overcast with sunny intervals.   Haha - had about 4 sunny intervals that lasted around 5 minutes each!  Still, at least it was a dry day for a change.

My downstairs neighbour's mother visited and saw them sitting in the grassy area at the rear of the car park (among the trees), 6 feet apart, bundled up in jackets to combat the wind and cold.   I had a bin bag of household rubbish to take to the bin but as it was close to where they sat I waited until his Mum had left as didn't want to intrude.   

Had a text from my sister and have been invited for dinner tomorrow so that will be something to look forward to.

Aside from that have just played around on Rootschat and watched TV.   Such an exciting life I lead.

Take care everyone.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 August 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, it's a bit much when you have to sneak around your own neighbourhood because of your abusive neighbour, I hope he gets his comeuppance. Thanks for the very entertaining story of bank holidays in days gone by.  :)

Caroline, I've always done the putting air in tyres but that's about it with my car maintenance! The tyre pressures are in the car handbook but I couldn't remember what they were so I asked trusty old Google.
Good to hear that your daughter and family are enjoying themselves in Wales, it's a lovely area.

Annette, hope you've enjoyed your day with your sister.

Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 August 20 20:05 BST (UK) »
It was in my own mind, the complications,then I thought NO, I am where I am for good reason , I knew what you have been through Roobarb, so though I could see he might think I was snooping ,he also no doubt thinks he is a normal person  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Oh I had a laugh today, I went to the postbox to post a card to my friend.
Thought I would go for a walk round the Cemetery ,I can take a short cut through a new housing complex ,for retired people.
Thought I would enquire of an acquaintance how things were.
She is not well and her husband has Alzheimer’s ,life must be very difficult so I thought I would just knock on the door to see how they were.
Well her husband has had to go into residential care.
 Very upsetting , but she could no longer manage his nightly escapes and escapades.
So I suggested she come for a walk with me ,and get stuff off her chest.
We had two rounds of the Cemetery then she needed to sit down.
Then two men I know came past,and all I can say is that short film “ The Plank” cane into both our minds .
They were carrying two lengths of iron ,like two long ladders.
Asked what they were up to they said it was for a charity, rescuing SnowLeopards!  ::)A bit of banter and a laugh.
Then they came past again ,with the same sort of stuff but four times as big in depth,they were five feet deep and about fifteen feet long .
We asked again, this time they said it was for  monkeys,big ones .
By this time we were helpless with laughter ,as they tried to turn round ,for no good reason other than to act the goat.
They said they they were doing another trip this time for elephants!
It was not much but just a bit of comic relief ,then they got cheeky saying
was it worthwhile my friend and I going home!!!
It did me good and I hope my companion too.
The men were actually laying down foundations for a garage , where they got the ironwork from I don’t know.
But they had obviously seen Eric Sykes and Tommy Cooper in “The Plank”.
A sunny but cold day here ,not very productive except a batch of fish pies now in the freezer.
Just had one for my tea.
Tesco delivery tomorrow.
So a fridge clearout and clean in a while .
Daughter will phone in a bit , more news of Flash Harry no doubt.
Bad news re a plane,twelve people tested positive and passengers said others had not used their masks properly etc etc .
When will people learn?
Well hope you all had a good day ,get a good night’s sleep and wake up refreshed .
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

More banter and we were all laughing

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 August 20 21:32 BST (UK) »
What unexpected fun you've had Viktoria, how lovely of those men to make you both laugh, I bet it did you the world of good.  :D

I read the article about the people on the plane, it seems that despite the pandemic still being with us, some people seem to think they can just act as normal.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham