Author Topic: Missing and unaccountable Kirks.  (Read 1226 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Missing and unaccountable Kirks.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 August 20 20:06 BST (UK) »
Most of the BMD info you are asking for will be on Scotlands People which is a pay per view site.

Have you looked at census records to determine children for the others you mention?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline up2you2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 August 20 02:56 BST (UK) »
That's great. No thank you or gratitude for people researching, just a curt remark.
We explore all possibilities and spend a lot of time doing it. The probate for Robert Jardine Kirk  may have revealed names of children had he had any.

Some of the names you have quoted could be living people. Many people born 1933 and 1935 are still living.

Have you checked Scotland People for death records ?

Sandra

Sorry about that, didn't mean for it to come across like that.

The Tree Manager I am sure will have checked for death records, and I very much assume that Scotland People will be one of the sites that she has looked at.
She has been doing this for 20 years, so these are the exceptions that she has been unable to find and confirm.

Offline up2you2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 August 20 02:59 BST (UK) »
Most of the BMD info you are asking for will be on Scotlands People which is a pay per view site.

Have you looked at census records to determine children for the others you mention?

The Tree Manager I am sure will have checked for death records, and I very much assume that Scotland People will be one of the sites that she has looked at.
She has been doing this for 20 years, so these are the exceptions that she has been unable to find and confirm.

I know for sure she checks all the available census records.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 August 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
As the tree manager is clearly very experienced but has failed to establish the info needed - could it  suggest it isn't available for whatever reason?

The death for James Kirk in 1882 is on freebmd  www.freebmd.org.uk so presumably the tree manager already has him on earlier censuses with family etc?  There is an easily found 1881 entry for him in London with his wife.  He has a distinctive occupation and can also be found in 1871 in England.  This does assume the tree manager has the right James Kirk death in 1882? 

BMD's for the pre-1900 people mentioned should certainly be found on SP providing the people named married & died in Scotland.  Census info should also be available.

If no deaths are to be found for the later births, it may suggest those people are either still alive or no longer live in Scotland.  Rootschat has a no living persons policy.

Has the tree manager checked electoral registers for them or whether they perhaps emigrated

No marriage in Scotland or England for Benjamin & Marion - where did they marry?   Given their respective birthyears any children would have been born in the 1950/60's.  Perhaps they can provide the info you need?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 August 20 15:11 BST (UK) »
The Robertson/Frew marriage was 1959 so any children are probably still living

Am I correct in assuming that all the Kirks named in your opening post are biologically connected?

Offline up2you2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 August 20 15:37 BST (UK) »
The Robertson/Frew marriage was 1959 so any children are probably still living

Am I correct in assuming that all the Kirks named in your opening post are biologically connected?

You make a valid point - could it suggest it isn't available for whatever reason?
The only reason I have raised them again, is that I have been quite amazed at what others have been able to find.

We have exhaustively checked the other dominions.

Benjamin & Marion married 7 Sep 1951 • Fisherwick Presbyterian Church, Belfast, Northern Ireland.
Hotel Manager - Grand Central Hotel, Belfast: Then started Hamilton & Kirk, a leading catering company in Northern Ireland.
Whilst I was communicating with one of their sons Ben Bruce in 2016, he literally died on me mid correspondence.
It took me a while to establish this, and I got quite a shock at the time.
Looking at all of this again, Ben's son is on Facebook I think, so I will try again.
Thank you for reminding me of this suggestion.

Trying to get the living to engage is not for the faint hearted, I would say my success record is only about 10%.

Yes all Kirks are related.

One daughter has been confirmed from the Robertson/Frew marriage already.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 31 August 20 15:46 BST (UK) »
So Benjamin & Marion will have died in Ireland - not Scotland.  If this info was known in 2016 has the tree manager not already made enquiries in Ireland re death dates etc?  If you manage to make contact with their grandson he may be able to fill in the gaps for you.

My sister was b 1929 and brother 1933 - both living.  This may be the case for the Robertson/Frew couple.  As no deaths are found - you need to remove their names from your post

Offline up2you2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 31 August 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
So Benjamin & Marion will have died in Ireland - not Scotland.  If this info was known in 2016 has the tree manager not already made enquiries in Ireland re death dates etc?  If you manage to make contact with their grandson he may be able to fill in the gaps for you.

My sister was b 1929 and brother 1933 - both living.  This may be the case for the Robertson/Frew couple.  As no deaths are found - you need to remove their names from your post
How do I do that please?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 31 August 20 17:42 BST (UK) »
You will see a “Modify” icon in the top right hand corner of your post.  Click on it and it will open your post and allow you to remove the names.  Just click “Save” when you have finished