Author Topic: S.TAWTON AREA LAND TAX RECORDS  (Read 446 times)

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
S.TAWTON AREA LAND TAX RECORDS
« on: Sunday 30 August 20 18:41 BST (UK) »
Grateful if anyone can assist me re the following brick wall , my direct ancestor JOHN SAMPSON born ca 1782 buried 6Oct 1814.
At the time of his marriage14 Feb 1809 he was described as a farmer from South Zeal.
At the time of his death [buried S.T. 6Oct 1814] he was a tenant farmer of Allisdon Farm sometimes Allison.
If anyone has access to these  Land Tax records would they kindly look up what period he was tenant at Allisdon and also what farm he was tenant of in South Zeal at the time of his marriage.
Unfortunately there are a number of John Sampson in the area sometime Samson.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Regards
historyman

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: S.TAWTON AREA LAND TAX RECORDS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 August 20 22:07 BST (UK) »

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 20 10:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you jonw65 for your quick advice.Unfortunately I am not a subscriber to family search.org and on trying to subscribe they required person details e.g. date of birth. The object of this exercise is the hope that it will provide his whereabouts at marriage to death .This might provide info as to whom he took the tenancy from in the chance that it was family.I am aware from Sophie Lambert's Spreyton Wills website that the ownership in the 1800's was the Cann family.
Regards
historyman

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 September 20 10:00 BST (UK) »
I have now viewed the Land Tax records which indicates that Allisdon was in the name of Robert Sampson in the early 1800's by 1813 into Mary Sampson and in 1814 the lease was sold my auction by Mahala Sampson widow of John Sampson, Little Allisdon was ino William Battishill the name of Mahala's 2nd husband.
Can anyone provide info as to the identity of Robert and Mary
Thanking you in anticipation
Regards
historyman