Author Topic: Wray Family of Huby  (Read 381 times)

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wray Family of Huby
« on: Sunday 30 August 20 21:00 BST (UK) »
The Wray family I’m interested in were living in Huby in the early 19th century, headed by my ancestor Thomas Wray, a husbandman. He married Hannah West in 1796 at Sutton-on-the-Forest in the presence of John Appleby and Thomas Hutchson. Thomas and Hannah had at least eight children who I’ve managed to trace marriages and deaths for.

I would really love to find out what became of Thomas and Hannah and maybe locate them in the 1841 census if they were still living. I’ve been unsuccessful so far though  ;D Hannah was the sister of William West, another ancestor of mine, so I know she was born about 1775 in Bishop Monkton.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wray Family of Huby
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 August 20 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hannah Wray buried 14/3/1822 Sutton on the Forest aged 46 (bc.1776), abode Huby

Thomas Wray buried 27/10/1848 Sutton on the Forest aged 74 (bc.1774), abode Huby

Can't find Thomas in 1841.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 August 20 22:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annette, that was quick!

I can’t see Thomas in 1841 either but his son William Wray had a George Wray (bc.1776) living with him in 1841. I wonder if this was a brother of Thomas or was it Thomas and mistakenly called George due to a clerical error?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 August 20 02:54 BST (UK) »

I can’t see Thomas in 1841 either but his son William Wray had a George Wray (bc.1776) living with him in 1841. I wonder if this was a brother of Thomas or was it Thomas and mistakenly called George due to a clerical error?

I wondered the same because I couldn't find a death entry for this 'George'.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 August 20 09:27 BST (UK) »
I think I’m going to tentatively assume “George” is Thomas for now. I don’t think Thomas was local, there aren’t many Wrays in the area at all, besides his children and grandchildren.

I’m now considering a 1773 baptism which took place at Guisborough for a Thomas Rhea son of Ralph, a weaver. Thomas’ youngest son was Ralph so this sounds promising. But I also have a DNA match to two people who are descended from a Ralph Wray who was born in 1780 at Kirby Wiske.