Author Topic: Diary - Bank Holiday Monday, 31 August 2020  (Read 1310 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Bank Holiday Monday, 31 August 2020
« on: Monday 31 August 20 06:42 BST (UK) »
Well, here I am again posting early.  (I felt too tired to post back again last night.). I had to get up at 5 am today as I have an early start 12 hour shift ahead.  I find these shifts going straight from a late to an early the most tiring of all.

It is cold with a nip in the air.    The silence at the bus stop was only broken by the sounds of the birds - the wood pigeons and seagulls mostly.

I am now on the bus.  I am grateful for my mask today as it feels like a muffler against the chill.

Added: I have now reached the bus station at Newcastle.  Plenty of people are about but not much conversation heard.  Greggs is open and playing music.  There are also sounds from a cleaner doing his work at the station. 

My first bus got quite full.  I have no idea how things are going to work out when the children go back to school this week and if more people at home have to go back to work.  I am just watching an unusual red feathered pigeon pecking about at the station.  It almost looks like a red feathered bantam hen.  Hopefully my second bus won't be long.  It is quite cold here.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Bank Holiday Monday, 31 August 2020
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 August 20 13:29 BST (UK) »
It is 15 years since I joined RC today, best thing  I  ever did

I had 2 dreams last night, in both I  cried, in the first one I  was almost hysterical,  I had made a mistake about a funeral date and when  a wagon type vehicle turned up I had  to tell  the mourners I had made a mistake,  whoevers funeral it was they were related to me,  one of the mourners has already died and I could see his face clearly,   the funeral  was the following weekand ,   the wagon full of mourners were not at all pleased,   oh boy, did I cry , strange isn't it?

Not done a great deal today,  just normal tidying up and washing  and I  did do some sorting out of cards sent to my mother when my father died, 32 years tomorrow and cards I received when my mother died 1996, it was very moving to read these cards and tbe kind words sent in both cases, but what to do with them?

Got the rest of a chillly afternoon to decide, gardening or sorting out .

Enjoy your day

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 20 22:06 BST (UK) »
RTL, I'm not surprised you felt too tired to post last night, it must be utterly exhausting having such a quick turnaround. I hope your journeys aren't made worse by the return to school, it's time they had some dedicated buses to take the children to school and leave the regular ones for others.

Louisa Maud, happy Rootschat anniversary! What awful dreams for you to have I hope you managed to shake them off. Not sure what you could do with the cards, I suppose it depends whether you want to carrying on keeping them, I'm guessing that you do as you've kept them all these years. I have a box where I keep some cards, it's very rare I look at them but I don't want to throw them away.

Diary:

Had another of those nights when I was awake till 3 am so woke late today. Bright and sunny but I didn't get up for a while, it all just felt pointless. Read the news and my book then did a bit of tidying around the house. It was almost 1pm before I went for my walk, just the usual. Was wearing a short sleeved tshirt, it was cooler out than expected and I thought I might feel cold but I was warm when I got walking. Very quiet on the field, maybe everyone went to the beach seeing as it's bank holiday. Came home and chopped some veg for a pasta sauce before having lunch.

Was going to cut the front lawn but saw that NN was doing hers, by the time I'd tidied the kitchen she had finished and was in the back garden having a loud conversation with the neighbour at the back so I knew I'd get some peace at the front. Cut the lawn and tidied around the borders, it was much cooler in the front garden than the back but I was enjoying doing the garden so I edged the lawn as well.
In the back garden, I dug out some more of the Lysamachia that grow everywhere, got the roots out so hope they don't spread so much next year. There was a small shrub behind that had been smothered by them, not sure if it's still alive so dug it out and put it in a pot so I can keep an eye on it. Labelled a couple more plants then had a cup of tea and read my Kindle in the sunshine until NN had a visitor with a very loud voice, couldn't concentrate on what I was reading.

Put the rest of the ingredients in the pan for the pasta sauce and put it on to cook, will use it with chicken. Got a portion of spag bol out of the freezer for tea.
Sent a text to my friend A to ask if she has any time this week to meet for lunch or just a cuppa, I know she's had a lot on with her house move but I'm just so fed up of being on my own, it's really getting to me. She said there are a couple of days when she's free but will have to fit in around some workmen coming. Anything will do for me, I just want some company. Will probably go to the nurseries tomorrow to buy more compost for planting pots for autumn and winter and for next spring. Weather is forecast quite warm this week.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 00:38 BST (UK) »
RTL - it must be a worry now with more people using the buses during your day shifts... hopefully they'll be running more as the school children I'm sure fill them up... hope you find it better tomorrow if you're still on days.

LM - sorry to hear about your dreams - quite vivid aren't they.. I'm glad I very rarely remember mine... take care and hope tonight's rest is better for you..

Roobarb - sorry to hear you're fed up and hope you can get together with your friend A even for just for a cuppa...
 gardening is supposed to be therapeutic and enjoyable if the weathers pleasant so hope you're able to go out to the nursery for a change of scenery as much as anything...

My day

Nothing spectacular even though it's a BH we never used to go out anyway as there are always too many people around even before all this situation...
Got up quite late as I was reading..
Got the washing out looks a reasonable day for drying if a little chilly..
After breakfast decided that I'd give the fridge a good clear out and clean, then it was the washing machines turn, I'd bought one of those cleaning solutions so put it on at 60 dog wash and it came out looking sparkly and clean, next the dishwasher got a going over too.
Out into the garden for more veg picking, courgettes slowing down now and tomatoes ripening fast... more blueberries and raspberries...
Did some deadheading and watched lots of white butterflies covering the budlea flowers...
Just amended my list for c n c tomorrow and wrote list out for Lidls shopping too.
Phoned some friends who'd been to Berlin to visit their son and granddaughter, they had found the airports ( Bristol and Berlin) very quiet and if it hadn't been for visiting family they'd not have gone...
After lunch decided it was time to tackle the ironing... put iPad on and finished watching Pillars of the Earth... seen it before but always enjoyable..
OH determined to finish the current jigsaw today...
Sat outside with a cuppa, lovely in the sunshine but as soon as the sun went behind a cloud it was quite chilly..
After I'd finished the ironing we had a game of scrabble... I lost so we're now with me just one game ahead...
Cooked dinner, we had Turkey Bake... one dish meal which I like doing!
Watched university challenge then couple of episodes of Netflix series... quite late coming to bed which isn't good as have to be up and out quite early in the morning...
That's it for today.. nothing very exciting at all... just another boring day...

Caroline

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 02:29 BST (UK) »
Was very late before I got to sleep so consequently woke up late - mainly cloudy all day but wind had dropped although not very warm.  Temperature 17C.  Last BH Monday it was 33C!!!

Tried to help out on 2 'tricky' threads on Rootschat - took quite a while and didn't really get anywhere.  Went over to my sisters late afternoon - my niece who's pregnant with twins was there too with Esmae 10.   My b-in-law made a lovely chicken pie (puff pastry top) which we had with lots of different vegetables - choice of dessert lemon meringue or chocolate cheesecake.  I chose the former.   Found I had 2 100g balls of 4ply wool in white so ferreted around in my various knitting patterns to find one for 4ply.   Found one and took everything with me to my sisters where I started a matinee jacket.   You start off at the neck which is unusual. 

Watched 'Mama Mia - Here we go again' at my sisters.   Had seen it at the cinema last year but still enjoyed it.  Must admit I like Abba's music.   My ex took me to see Abba at the Albert Hall in, I think, February 1978.   Absolutely brilliant.   By the time I got home it was nearly 10.30pm and distinctly chilly.

Made a coffee and caught up with emails and some more Rootschat.

A pleasant day but wish we could have some more sunshine.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 07:21 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Louisa Maud for your 15th anniversary on RootsChat - every year well spent! 

I hope your friend will be able to meet up with you soon Roobarb for a cuppa and natter.

It sounds like you had another busy day Caroline - you never seem stuck for things to be getting on with.

Annette, I am glad you have found some wool for a matinee jacket.  I think it is always enjoyable to knit things for babies in the family.  This takes me back to when I was knitting for my Grandchild when he was on his way and in the year after birth.

I will be on day shift again today. (Tuesday) I am now sitting at the bus station waiting for my second bus which hopefully won't be long.  It is another very nippy and drafty morning here.   
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 09:47 BST (UK) »
As RTL has posted about today ( Tuesday morning ), I'll add the fresh air today def has an autumnal nip to it. Very fresh . Smallest grandchild is here as school are now back and I'll collect the other one from nursery at 1pm. Mum is a teacher who has after school meetings regularly normally, so not sure what time they are leaving today .
North East of England

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, Ah, knitting!
I knitted quite a lot for my grandson, Flash Harry’s father,white ,pale biue etc
Then Flash Harry,sooooo different!
Navy blue, grey etc!
GDaughter in Law’s choice!
Twenty five years between the two.
How things change.
I read your posts and the difficulties of transport etc some have daunt me,or would do if I were out and about .
I felt quite bold yesterday ,in the Cemetery.
My acquaintance ,I hope ,felt better .
We must do it again.
I have not had to cope with someone with Alzheimer’s or Dementia.
My O,H, was bright and astute to the end and his mother who lived to 105
was also.
My parents .Mum died at 61 and Dad 77.Both O.K.
Tesco delivery 10-2, I hate waiting, can’t settle to anything .
Was tired last night so did not watch Morse, it went on until two O’Clock .
It is very strange to see someone bearing a great resemblance to someone you knew so well.
I have not ,that I can remember had any disturbing dreams about my OH,but having sleepless nights for a while I got some Twinings” SLEEP” tea,oh it works for a few hours ,then the bad dreams start!
So no thank you.I may have had dreams,people usually do after a bereavement but if so I have forgotten them.
I had them after my mother died, you know,wishful thinking ones, the telegram was a mistake ,not her but someone else etc, then the awakening ,with elation - only to be cast down again when of course it did refer to her.
Very common that one people tell me.

I must phone another friend today, her daughter has a relatively new puppy
which has been so good,very easily toilet trained in days etc,BUT ,now the little devil is teething and mouthing too much , throwing its weight about!
So it gets put down and ignored so it knows that is unacceptable ,but being bright it has worked out what to do so they  have to go to it.So clever.
All good fun.
A bright sunny day ,not fed the fish yet,the pond needs a good clean out ,I need electricity ,but am waiting until things get a bit easier,the water goes cloudy .I need an electrician so a pump and filter will keep it crystal clear.
Son says he will do it but he retired partly through ill health ,he ,the calmest person you could think of ,so I try not to burden him.
My other two are in the South and as you know my son has just moved due to dreadful neighbours.
Daughter struggling to keep their business afloat and keep her valued staff.
So an electrician, in a little while when things hopefully have eased a bit more.
I like my fish, so tame , two bright bright orange and a golden yellow .
Well folks a good day to you all , ease of travelling to those of you who have to, many thanks to those who are keeping things going, to you all for your posts and  isn’t RootsChat a  blessing.
Viktoria..

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 13:13 BST (UK) »
Louisa happy rootsiversary

Lass I dont know how ypu cope with 12 hour shifts

Caw Victoria roobarb who did I miss?

You all sound very active to me .
I got out in sunshine. As far as post box ....posted chrque towards cost of DNA kit for my cousin .I feel I may have bullied him into taking it .

Tired because stayed up last night to watch Sheridan Smith as a  cleaning lady
I thought it was a film but it turned out to be a sreies so I.ll be up every night til midnight now !

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson