Author Topic: Samuel Jones  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Jones
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 15:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget. Pretty sure that Samuel Alyn is not  my Samuel. Samuel 1840 born Denbigh seems most likely, if his father was Samuel as well. The trouble is there are too many people named Samuel.!!

The local BMD indexes by sub-district. The GRO by district. There is just the one for 1840.

Jones, Samuel, 1940, June Q, St Asaph , Vol 27, page 207. Mother's maiden name - Jones

You might have it.

Add
- I'm sure I typed up that Denbigh was in the St Asaph Reg district  ???
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Betty.W

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 16:15 BST (UK) »
 I think that is my Samuel it seems to be the only one that fits with his birth year (1840) and age at marriage (19), but it still doesn't give his mother's first name. !!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 17:05 BST (UK) »
I think that is my Samuel it seems to be the only one that fits with his birth year (1840) and age at marriage (19), but it still doesn't give his mother's first name. !!

The GRO index has his mmn as Jones

Samuel Jones, June Q, 1840, St Asaph, v 27. p 207. MMN - Jones

Denbigh was a sub district of St Asaph RD see my previous post.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline redvanman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 17 September 20 15:27 BST (UK) »
It's worth bearing in mind that Civil Registration started in 1837 - so it's possible that Samuel's parents marriage, or the birth of any older siblings, would be in parish or nonconformist records. And there are cases where the church records continue after 1837.

And if you are still following the connection with Liverpool, have you considered that the Hugh Jones listed there is Samuel's brother? And that Samuel might not have been an orphan - he was old enough at 12 to have left school and joined the thousands of Welsh people who moved to Liverpool to find work. Younger people would normally be lodged with relatives.

Good luck - it's conundrums like this that keep me engrossed in this subject.

Alyn

Offline Betty.W

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 September 20 15:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Here is what I know - Samuel  was born in Denbigh in 1840  - He was a soldier in the 9th Lancers service number 296 (don't know when he enlisted) He married  Emma Jenkins in 1859 in Exeter, he was stationed at that time in Exeter his age on the marriage cert is 19. They had three daughters - Emma, Ann and Louisa. in 1861 he was in Aldershot - in 1871 He was in Seacombe Cheshire and in 1881 he and his family were in Liverpool. According to his marriage certificate Samuels father also named Samuel was a publican. Ann was my great grandmother later I believe she called herself Annie and her second name was Elizabeth. All that I am looking for is Samuel's mother., who was she?