Author Topic: Why was Margaret Ross in Hong Kong in 1908?  (Read 259 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Davis House, Lewiston, ME
    • View Profile
Why was Margaret Ross in Hong Kong in 1908?
« on: Monday 31 August 20 15:53 BST (UK) »
With a stroke of luck, I found a newspaper announcement of the marriage of Arthur C. Logan [1871-1944] and Margaret M. Ross [1881-1944].  The marriage took place on 15 December 1908 in Hong Kong; it was Arthur's second marriage.

Unfortunately, the announcement provides little other information.  It does say that Arthur was working in Hong Kong for the Singer Sewing Machine Co. [I already knew that] and that Margaret was accompanied by Mrs. Bagnell of Yokohama.  I suspect that Mrs. Bagnell was the wife of A.L. [Albert Laurence] Bagnell, a wealthy American businessman who ran an electrical equipment company in Yokohama for many years.

Because he lived outside of the United States for many years, there are a lot of gaps in Arthur's life story.  Nevertheless, I pretty much know how he came to be in Hong Kong.  What I can't figure out is how and why Margaret was there.

Margaret May Ross was born on 21 October 1881 in Astoria, Clatsop County, Oregon, daughter of Daniel G. Ross and Anna Florence Crow.  Her father was a logger and later foreman in a lumber camp.  Margaret completed four years of high school and was still single and living with her parents in Clatsop County in 1900.

So what took her to the Orient?  The local newspapers are silent.  Although they covered tea parties and bridge games, there is no report of 'Local Girl Sets Sail for Japan!'  My ideas are 1) tourism [unlikely];  2) employment with an American company, perhaps as a secretary or bookkeeper [possible];  3)  employment as a servant, nursemaid or governess [more possible];  4) missionary work [most possible].  I consider #4 the most likely because Arthur himself  had been engaged in missionary work for many years before turning to commercial activities, so a church connection might explain how they met.

So far, I have found no trace of Margaret between 1900 and 1908 and no evidence to support any of the theories.  Any suggestions on how to proceed are welcome.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why was Margaret Ross in Hong Kong in 1908?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 August 20 18:06 BST (UK) »
I assume it is the same Margaret that was murdered by Louise Peete in 1944?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/8982/margaret-may-logan

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 20 18:14 BST (UK) »
Yup, that's the Margaret Ross of interest.  I have the Louise Peete part of the story fairly well in hand.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 August 20 18:57 BST (UK) »
Have you checked on the neighbors in 1900 James and Mary Hawkins. He is a Methodist Minister.
Maybe the church has a record of assignments of it's ministers, did he go to Hong Kong ?

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 August 20 21:05 BST (UK) »
Records for Hong Kong. Sadly not for dates you are seeking. Perhaps useful for other Hong Kong Researchers.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 August 20 21:07 BST (UK) »
https://gwulo.com/node/21016

Made a boo boo. The above are the records for Hong Kong.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 August 20 21:50 BST (UK) »
"Have you checked on the neighbors in 1900 James and Mary Hawkins. He is a Methodist Minister.
Maybe the church has a record of assignments of it's ministers, did he go to Hong Kong ?"

Good idea.  So far, Rev. Hawkins seems to exist only in 1900.  I don't see him on any other census or on any passenger list.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 00:17 BST (UK) »
I think this is the earliest listing for them in Portland. As you know, the city directories lagged behind a bit, so the 1909 Directory probably tells you who was there at some point in 1908.

Portland City Directory
Daniel G Ross, logger resides 2041 E Salmon
Margaret M Ross, stenographer, boards 2041 E Salmon
William H Ross, machinist, boards 2047 E Salmon

Daniel G Ross, logger, home 2047 E Salmon
William H Ross, machinist, boards 2047 E Salmon
no Margaret Ross at that address

There is a Margaret and William H Ross at the same address in 1905 and 1906, but no Daniel. I have my doubts that this is the right Margaret, but just in case:

no Daniel Ross
Margaret Ross, clerk Meier & Frank Co, boards Corona Park add.
William H Ross, apprentice O R & N Shops, boards Corona Park add.

no Daniel Ross
Margaret Ross, boards Corona Park add.
William H Ross, laborer, boards Corona Park add.
[other women listed in the book had occupations]

no Daniel Ross
no Margaret Ross
William H Ross, salesman Underwood Typewriter, resides 878 Michigan Ave

-----------
two arrivals for her, just in case you don't have them.
SS Cedric from Liverpool 12 March 1914, arrived New York 22 March 1914

Margaret Logan, 32, married, born in Astoria, Oregon October 22, 1883, headed to 2047 E Salmon St, Portland
no husband with her on this trip
https://heritage.statueofliberty.org/passenger-details/czoxMjoiMTAwNDE2MDcwMDk4Ijs=/czo4OiJtYW5pZmVzdCI7

-------
both left Hong Kong
destination 2047 E Salmon St, Portland

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKQS-W4FM

----------
I can't think of anywhere to look that you probably haven't already. I thought maybe her brother might have accompanied her to Hong Kong and left more records of his travels, but he is at home in 1909 and 1910 on the census.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 01:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks, ooh.  I was unaware of the trip on the SS Cedric.  I wonder how she got to Liverpool?  Maybe through the Suez Canal?  I'm not certain, but I think the 1916 trip to Portland was made just before they relocated from Hong Kong to Singapore.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

From the city directories, it looks like she went to Asia in 1908, maybe early 1908 to give her enough time to meet Arthur somehow and then marry him in December of that year.

>>>>>>

On another note, this may well have been a bigamous marriage [shocking given that Arthur was a clergyman].

Arthur married his first wife [Alice Fairchild Price] on 19 September 1899 in Lincoln, Providence County, Rhode Island.  Her father, like Arthur's, was a missionary in the Pacific Islands.  Arthur also became an ordained minister and missionary.  In early 1902, Arthur and Alice were posted to Guam to help Alice's father with his missionary work, chiefly because Arthur was fluent in some Pacific languages and could assist in translating the bible.  But things did not go well and they left Guam in 1903 reportedly due to "marital discord."  Arthur stayed in Hawaii until the end of 1904 doing missionary work while Alice split to San Francisco.  She seemingly preferred a more urban setting and was described in one newspaper article as a "matinee woman."  I'm not quite sure what it means but I don't think it was intended as a compliment.  Arthur left Hawaii for the Philippines in early 1905 and was in Hong Kong by 1907.  In May 1909, some five months after Arthur married Margaret, Alice sued for divorce in San Francisco on the grounds of desertion and non-support.