Author Topic: I think I found my great great grandmother under her maiden name  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I think I found my great great grandmother under her maiden name
« on: Monday 31 August 20 17:39 BST (UK) »
I think I have found my great great grandmother’s death entry in 1871 but she was under her maiden name, not her married name? Why was that?

You see, I found her husband being a widow in 1901 Irish Census. I have been combing death entries until today I think it is hers based on my experience with his will where he did not mentioned his daughter. It turned out she predeceased him.

It made sense that Margaret was not in her Father’s will whereas her siblings were listed.

Her name was Margaret (Jane) Armstrong but her married name is Mallon. I do know she had  a middle name which is Jane. Forgot where I saw that before.

I would like to know how we could confirm whether this entry is hers or not?

It sounds funny or strange to me because in our family there was a story about her running away from her married home?

Would there be any newspaper article or a gossip article on this subject? I know one cannot divorce back then. Not only that, it is a small village. It would be considered as a scandal?

Awaiting your expertise! She is the only one who had not fill into the blank in my Dad’s family tree? Once I have her death entry. I would consider that my family tree is completely finished.

Thank you for your help in advance,

Tees

PS I realise how useful the wills are! Especially if the names were not mentioned, it can mean one could be deceased.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: I think I found my great great grandmother under her maiden name
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 August 20 18:33 BST (UK) »

Have you actually viewed the death record for her?

I would like to know how we could confirm whether this entry is hers or not?

Is this the Margaret Jane Armstrong in 1871?

SR District/Reg Area   Lisburn
Deceased Age at Death   40
Returns Quarter   1
Returns Volume No   1
Returns Page No   547

If you haven’t viewed it, you will need to purchase it.
You can apply for a photocopy (at €4.00) by email if you download this form. Tick the box in Section 4.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/E-mail-Application-Form-in-English.pdf

Fill in the form electronically and email it to GROonlinepayments(at)groireland.ie.

When the General Register Office receives your email application, you will get an email back with a secure payment link allowing you to pay the fee due using a debit or credit card.

NB: This application method may have been withdrawn due to COVID-19.

Alternatively, use the GRO Ireland search room in Dublin for an even faster response.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=835488.0

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi KG,

I should have make myself more clear...I meant, is this a plausible death entry or it does not make any sense if we were to go by the family story?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Tees

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 16:09 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the marriage record to confirm she really was a married woman.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 18:32 BST (UK) »
I am not sure what to make of your question or are you trying to stir up the pot?

Yes, she is a married woman and I do have a marriage record.

I would suggest that you have to take a care with words. Thank you.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 19:17 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the 1871 death certificate, or are you just going by the index information? If you view the death certificate, there should be information there that may tell you if it’s likely to be the right woman, eg the townland (address), her marital status, possibly her occupation and the informant’s details if that was a relative. I suggest you do that rather than trying to guess the answer. You can view the original certificate on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 (sterling) to a view a certificate.

If it’s not her and you can’t find a death certificate then it’s possible Margaret died outside Ireland (which could fit with the story of her running away).

Millipede’s question about whether she did actually marry seems perfectly reasonable to me.  Not every couple did.  And if  Margaret wasn’t married then her death is likely to be registered under Armstrong. So worth asking whether you have found a record of a marriage.
Elwyn

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 07:36 BST (UK) »
I am not sure what to make of your question or are you trying to stir up the pot?

Milliepede asked, 'Have you seen the marriage record to confirm she really was a married woman'.
As you think you found the death under her maiden name this was a perfectly reasonable question to ask, I am not sure why you think Milliepede should have to take care with words.

KG asked whether you had viewed the death record but your reply is not clear, I would assume from it that you have not so perhaps that is the way to go as it may give further clues for us to be able to advise you as to whether we think it is likely.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 08:03 BST (UK) »

Wow! Touchy, or what! :(

Standard questions re research are to ask if the relevant certificates have been viewed.
Not transcriptions, but actual certificates.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 09:18 BST (UK) »
Tees, I agree with others that there is no need to take offence here.  I have no doubt whatsoever that Milliepede was not casting aspersions by asking this question.  Sometimes it is necessary to ask a range of questions to help get the clues to find answers.  It is often helpful to tick off a checklist of basic questions to avoid falling into a trap of making assumptions - such as assuming any couple might be married without hard evidence (which in your case you have got).

I would also view Milliepede's question as a standard one.  Since I have been doing family history for myself and on behalf of others I have now lost count of couples I have come across living with their family who appear married but were not.  So I think this is a pertinent question to ask as it might have been something to consider if you had not already ticked that box off.

Also, I think I can safely say, in my experience of being on RC I have observed that Milliepede is one of the most helpful RootsChatters on here and very far from being a 'stirrer'. 

I hope our posts might reassure you and make you feel more at ease about this Tees.  I am sure that anyone who contributes on your thread wants to see you succeed in getting your answer and no offence is intended. 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner