Author Topic: Elizabeth Bruce Married James Phillip  (Read 624 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Bruce Married James Phillip
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 15:54 BST (UK) »
the transcribed versions of Scotland census records up to 1901 are on that site. (For 1911 you need to look at Scotlands People). True, but these Ancestry transcriptions are notorious for being full of errors. Use them to find the people you are interested in but you need to check the originals on Scotland's People to make sure the information is correct.

There are also transcriptions at FindMyPast. These are better than Ancestry's but still contain errors, though not perhaps quite so many.

The most reliable transcriptions are at FreeCEN but they are a long way from having full coverage.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DenLamour

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 18:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you ALL for your assistance. 👍

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 21:09 BST (UK) »
DenLamour --- thank you for your message -- Good Luck with your research in unfamiliar territory for you.

Forfarian - thank you for the info regarding transcribed Scottish census records also being on Find My Past and FreeCen. I hadn't known that, so that is useful info for me also.

I think we all have to accept that transcribing can be a difficult and laborious job and we are bound to find mistranscriptions on any site. The people doing it have to type what they see, and there will be human error in typos also.

However if these worthy people weren't doing this invaluable work - we would be having to trawl through hundreds of records to find our quarry. I am so grateful for what they do.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk