Author Topic: Eighty Sixth Regiment of foot  (Read 476 times)

Offline morgan77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eighty Sixth Regiment of foot
« on: Monday 31 August 20 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi , while researching my family from Northumberland England , I came across a ancestor ,Thomas Green, in the 1861 census  ,born Whittingham ,Northumberland about 1815 . a Chelsea pensioner. I have found his record . Corporal Thomas Green . enlistment age 22, Discharge age 75 , born about 1815 ,birth place Whittingham Northumberland . Enlistment year 1837 . discharge year 1890-1899 . Regiment Eighty Sixth Reg of foot . Regimental Number . 2380 2nd foot 1988.  ok when I looked     up the Eighty sixth they are a Irish regiment , how could someone from the north of England end up in a Irish regiment . or am I missing something . 

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eighty Sixth Regiment of foot
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 August 20 20:56 BST (UK) »
If you have his record you will see that he attested for 2nd Foot in 1837 and served with them until 1845, when he volunteered to join 86th Foot. Both regiments were in India at the time.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline morgan77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 20 21:57 BST (UK) »
hi thank you for the help , I only have basic information from ancestry , you have to pay extra for more

Offline pogo99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 16:10 BST (UK) »
Soldiers were sent where they were needed to fill the numbers,i have a few records of my local regiments (North & South Staffordshires) and over half were Irish/Scottish.