Author Topic: Seeking RONSON (Dalston) family history  (Read 2355 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking RONSON (Dalston) family history
« Reply #45 on: Monday 07 September 20 17:09 BST (UK) »
You are very keen

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ABC1876

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 12 September 20 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again, since my last postings I've been trying to get all this information into some written form and not yet found out the best format - I plan to do a search on this site and see if there are any templates.

I have now got the Death Certificate for HENRIETTA HODGSON (formerly RONSON) who died in 1910 (aged 54) at 2 Burns Court, Burns Street, Carlisle.  The informant was JOHN HODGSON "Widow of the deceased"  so it seems they were married. 

So I've now, with your help, been able to establish that :

William Ronson b.1812 and Mary Pickerby Moore b.1820.were Great Great Grandad and Grandma.
Henrietta Ronson b.1855 was my Great Grandma,  (Great Grandad unknown)
Emily Ronson b.1875 my Grandma (married James Henry Wildmun my Grandad in 1894)  (After that date I know a lot about my mum's side of the family fortunately).

Phew !!    Result 

I'm a good way through the WIldmun side - back as far as JOHN WILDMUN b1852 married to JANE ? but I'm planning on starting another thread now I'm hooked on this malarkey!!  I've never sat down as much without moving - and its much more interesting than TV  !

Cheerio for now and thankyou.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 12 September 20 17:35 BST (UK) »
Sounds like a good result

Louisa Maud

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 13 September 20 12:00 BST (UK) »

My Grandma, Emily,  died when I was 2, and my Mum used to say Emily was brought up by an Aunt - I suppose this could have been Henrietta's sister, Hannah, but I don't know.   I know a lot about her after she married my Grandad in 1894 though. Goodness me, my head's buzzing !!  Thanks again.

I think this Hannah may have died in 1864 aged 15.  There is another Rootschatter researching the Ronson Family from Dalston and I did some records checks for him.  Hannah who died in 1864 was  from Cardewlees and was buried in Dalston Church Cemetery.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 13 September 20 12:28 BST (UK) »

I have now got the Death Certificate for HENRIETTA HODGSON (formerly RONSON) who died in 1910 (aged 54) at 2 Burns Court, Burns Street, Carlisle.  The informant was JOHN HODGSON "Widow of the deceased"  so it seems they were married. 

So I've now, with your help, been able to establish that :

William Ronson b.1812 and Mary Pickerby Moore b.1820.were Great Great Grandad and Grandma.

Henrietta Ronson b.1855 was my Great Grandma,  (Great Grandad unknown)

Emily Ronson b.1875 my Grandma (married James Henry Wildmun my Grandad in 1894)  (After that date I know a lot about my mum's side of the family fortunately).

Thanks for the update  :) a shame we couldn't find John & Henrietta's marriage  ???

I think this Hannah may have died in 1863 aged 15. There is another Rootschatter researching the Ronson Family from Dalston and I did some records checks for him. 

Hannah who died in 1863 was  from Cardewlees and was buried in Dalston Church Cemetery.

I think ABC did mention on the thread that Hannah Ronson had died 1864 -  not sure if her death entry was posted

Hannah RONSON  age 15 
1864  M Quarter in CARLISLE  Volume 10B  Page 331
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ABC1876

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 13 September 20 20:40 BST (UK) »
Yes thankyou everyone,  Hannah did die at 15 like you say.  I'm happy that at the end of the day, with your help, I've established that Henrietta was Emily's Mum. 

I have a feeling that the other Rootschat person interested in the RONSON family may have been trying to find out about JOHN RONSON but hopefully if he or she has wider interests then maybe these postings will be of help.

The sun has been shining and the garden has been inviting - and very unusually I've been sat inside getting to grips with a 14 day free trial on Ancestry !!     AAAgh the bug appears to have bitten !!

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 13 September 20 20:51 BST (UK) »
Keep you eye on the 14 days

Louisa Maud

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ABC1876

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 13 September 20 21:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you, I will.  To be honest I've found it a bit frustrating, probably because I'm experiencing for the first time how easy it is to look at a record and think how "nearly" it seems to fit, dates etc....only to find about an hour down the line that it doesn't stack up and the man could not reasonably have sired his first of ten children when he was ...er....13 !!!      Aaaagh. 

My mental arithmetic is superb now though !!  :)

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 20 November 20 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody,

I am the other Ronson researcher and Ancestry tree owner mentioned in this thread. I got some great help here a year or two ago. Finding this thread, working on it and getting in touch with ABC1876 has helped me even more so a big thank you again. The last paragraph below relates to an inexplicable frustration in this case. I suspect I have interpreted wrongly or missed something so obvious that I will be embarrassed at displaying my incompetence but I would welcome some like minded friends to quality assure this conundrum.

So in summary, Henrietta Ronson (1855 baptism but no birth - 1910) had a daughter Emily Ronson (18/2/1875 - 1952). There is no father on the birth certificate. Sometime before late 1880 Henrietta gets together with a John Hodgson (1856 - 1932)  No marriage can be found but she has 5 Children with him: Robert Hodgson 1880 and then Elizabeth 1881, Sarah 1887, John Thomas 1889 and John S 1899. This all takes place in and around Carlisle.

It is not unreasonable to presume that prior to hooking up with Hodgson that Henrietta and Emily lived with William Ronson and Mary Rickerby Ronson (nee Moore), Emily's grandparents. Emily is still there on the 1881. When Henrietta then moves out - speculation I know - to live with Hodgson it could well have been that it was Hodgson who insisted on Emily not joining them but staying with her grandparents. If Henrietta was pregnant with Robert she may not have had much choice. Plus young Emily may well have had a great relationship with her grandparents. Unfortunately in 1882 Emily's Grandma Mary Rickerby dies and it seems that Grandad William now heads for Preston to be with his daughter Mary Elizabeth and her husband John Thompson sometime between 1882 and 1885. He dies there in Preston himself in 1885. One suspects that he must have taken Emily with him and, after he dies, she may well then be stranded in Preston, perhaps with people she does not want to be with and who do not want her. We believe that Emily was not treated particularly well by her Aunt. Times were hard in those days and she possibly traded being exploited as a worker in exchange for board and lodgings. We will never know for sure but I think my theories are at least plausible.  Fortunately Emily's difficulty does not last too long as she marries late in 1894.

Nothing is simple in family history and I have some very perplexing information that does not fit neatly with the above or with the story of Henrietta, Emily and John Hodgson. The problems in question are the baptisms of Lizzie, William Robert and Mary Ronson all in 1883 and of Thomas Ronson in 1885 ( see records below). All at Carlisle and all were the children of........ wait for it: Henrietta Ronson.  At face value we would just say that it is all explained by there being another Henrietta Ronson in Carlisle in the same era. The problem with that is that it is an uncommon name AND I cannot for the life of me find another Henrietta Ronson. I suspect I have made another howler and am not seeing something so obvious that I will be embarrassed if it is pointed out.  I cannot find Births for any of these four new Ronson's born to Henrietta Ronson (ours or another). I still think it most likely that this was another Henrietta Ronson but I cannot stand that up. It could be, just, I suppose, that these are very late baptisms of children that our Henrietta had in-between having Emily 1875 and meeting Hodgson in the period 1875 - 1880 but, if so, why no births and no 1881 census entry for them. Why are they not with Emily at Grandparents in 1881 and what happens to them?

If anyone can point out any howler I have made, record I have missed or just give an opinion of what this all means I would be very grateful.

Thank you,
Neil.

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Name Lizzie Ronson Gender Female Baptism Date14/03/1883 (14 Mar 1883) Baptism Place Holy Trinity, Carlisle, Cumberland, England Mother Henrietta Ronson FHL Film Number1472062 Reference IDitem 1 p 77

Name William Robert Ronson Gender Male Baptism Date14/03/1883 (14 Mar 1883) Baptism Place Holy Trinity, Carlisle, Cumberland, England Mother Henrietta Ronson FHL Film Number1472062Reference IDitem 1 p 77

Name Mary Ronson Gender Female Baptism Date14/03/1883 (14 Mar 1883) Baptism Place Holy Trinity, Carlisle, Cumberland, England Mother Henrietta Ronson FHL Film Number1472062

Name Thomas Ronson Gender Male Baptism Date13/06/1885 (13 Jun 1885) Baptism Place Holy Trinity, Carlisle, Cumberland, England Mother Henrietta RonsonFHL Film Number1472062Reference IDitem 1 p 133

Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.