Author Topic: Seeking RONSON (Dalston) family history  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking RONSON (Dalston) family history
« Reply #54 on: Friday 20 November 20 15:52 GMT (UK) »

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Name Lizzie Ronson Gender Female Baptism Date14/03/1883 (14 Mar 1883)
Baptism Place Holy Trinity, Carlisle, Cumberland, England Mother Henrietta Ronson
FHL Film Number1472062 Reference IDitem 1 p 77

Name William Robert Ronson Gender Male Baptism Date14/03/1883 (14 Mar 1883)
Baptism Place Holy Trinity, Carlisle, Cumberland, England Mother Henrietta Ronson
FHL Film Number1472062Reference IDitem 1 p 77

Name Mary Ronson Gender Female Baptism Date14/03/1883 (14 Mar 1883)
FHL Film Number1472062

Name Thomas Ronson Gender Male Baptism Date13/06/1885 (13 Jun 1885)
FHL Film Number1472062Reference IDitem 1 p 133

May help to look at the original baptism records for Holy Trinity Church, Cumberland to see if a date of birth is noted, giving an address and occupation for Henrietta

I think they maybe available to view on Microfilm according to the link I’ve found on family search
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/413168?availability=Family%20History%20LibraryNotes
Microfilm of original manuscripts in the Cumbria Record Office, Kendal
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Carlisle_Holy_Trinity,_Cumberland_Genealogy#Church_records

Two of John & Henrietta Hodgson’s children were also baptised at Holy Trinity Church on same day in 1890 (reply 13 for some info. on J&H, plus birth entries for their children)

It is strange the RONSON birth records cannot be found  ???
The Registration of Births and Deaths Act 1874 came into effect on 1st Jan 1875 and registration became the responsibility of the parents, or the householder where the birth took place, on penalty of a £2 fine.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 20 November 20 16:27 GMT (UK) »

Nothing is simple in family history and I have some very perplexing information that does not fit neatly with the above or with the story of Henrietta, Emily and John Hodgson.

The problems in question are the baptisms of Lizzie, William Robert and Mary Ronson all in 1883 and of Thomas Ronson in 1885 ( see records below). All at Carlisle and all were the children of........ wait for it: Henrietta Ronson. 

At face value we would just say that it is all explained by there being another Henrietta Ronson in Carlisle in the same era. The problem with that is that it is an uncommon name AND I cannot for the life of me find another Henrietta Ronson.

I cannot find another Henrietta RONSON
only the HR parents William & Mary Ronson and Niece of Anthony Ronson in 1871
these details were posted previously
1859 bpt. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JMRD-P72
1871 census https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5BL-LYN

see reply 2 posted by LM 1861c
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 20 November 20 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Ladyhawk,

Thank you ever so much. I think we may have solved the puzzle. ABC1876 has suggested to me that the RONSON baptisms and Hodgson children may be one and the same. Post 14 where you found the 1891 census certainly gives considerable weight to that solution especially with the listing of a William R HODGSON . Now I need to get to work checking and developing that probable solution with more evidence.
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.