Author Topic: Diary - Tuesday 1st September  (Read 614 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Tuesday 1st September
« on: Wednesday 02 September 20 00:03 BST (UK) »
Seems I'm to be the first one today!

It seems to have been a jam packed day and trying to catch up with myself!
Woke up before the alarm this morning, don't usually set it but it's shopping day!
Quick shower and off out no breakfast or cuppa as don't want to have to use a convenience whilst I'm out!
Traffic trying to get of the village was incredibly busy... not noticed that before and I'm usually out at similar time on shopping day...
First stop green grocers, empty which is a bonus...
Next it's Lidls and that was quiet too
Collected my shopping from Waitrose and home by 9.45am... OH helped me unload and stash non perishables in the garage and usual cleansing or transferring into other receptacles .... it's such a pain to do but still feel we ought to...
By now it's time to go for usual Tuesday coffee with neighbours up the lane... one away in their caravan so just three of us... it was lovely and sunny and very sheltered sitting in the garden... wished I'd time to change out of jeans and long sleeve top ... never mind!
We discussed how we were going to manage in the winter and didn't come to any conclusions... one neighbour who goes to their house in SA for the winter obviously this year they're not going back so first time in 26 yrs they'll be in U.K. And not looking forward to it!
Decided that perhaps, weather permitting we'd go for a walk before coffee.next week....
Lunch time by the time I got home... watched the news not sure why as it's mostly doom and gloom ...
Decided we'd go out into the garden, OH to mow the lawns and I edged them, dug over front border and all the back borders except one as had enough by then and it was very warm...
Good job done... sat outside with a cuppa thought I'd finish my book on libraries ebook site I have...
well goodness knows what's happened... it suddenly went to log in page, never done that before and having entered all info it still wouldn't do it... sent email to tech support and to help line ... hope they can help,out as I've got 4 books on there to read, couple I've waited some time for..... not happy!
OH went digging pots, loads more tomatoes, spring onions...
Daughter sent us some more pics, they're having lovely weather in Wales, walked round the walls in Conway, more beach in clear blue skies and a mountain walk... boys enjoying themselves... such beautiful places in U.K. to visit, if you get good weather who needs to go abroad...
Watched some more of a series we've got into on Netflix, did some more knitting...
I knew it wouldn't be long before admin girl got in touch to see if I'd been a busy bee or slacking! Told her bit of both... more to do in next few days... face coverings we're talking here!...
So that's my day... lovely to see the sunshine so lifts the spirits..

Hope others have had a good day..

Caroline
Dinner was steak sliced in hoisin sauce with mushroom, spring onions... aubergine, peppers and courgette roasted ... I had rice OH had pots!
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Tuesday 1st September
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 00:20 BST (UK) »
Roots Tech 2021 (Salt Lake City) is free to all on the Internet next year 2021

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 00:20 BST (UK) »
Wow, you've certainly done a lot today Caroline. Hope you get your library books back, especially frustrating when you're in the middle of one and looking forward to the others, Lovely that your daughter is having such good weather, it wasn't looking too promising when they were hit by the storms.

My day :

Was very tired last night and slept rather late this morning. Another sunny day. Read the news, nothing uplifting there as expected. An increase in confirmed cases in my area.
When I went for a walk last week with my friend J she suggested Tuesday for our walk this week, after the bank holiday. Texted her to ask if we were on for tonight.

Went for walk while hair was still damp, straight down the narrow woodland path for a change, coming back was about to join the main path when two women with a group of small children went that way. Skirting around them wouldn't be easy so I just went on the field instead.

After lunch I went to the nurseries, I couldn't find my washable face mask before I went so took a disposable one, first time I've used one of those. Had a look round, decided to buy some winter flowering pansies as well as compost. Put the mask on before going to pay, it was awful, when I looked down to get my card out of my bag I couldn't see properly over the mask. Bought some bulbs as well.

Home, unloaded the car then emptied one of my pots, the petunias are just about done. Took it out the front and planted with spring bulbs and pansies. No reply from J, thought perhaps she was just busy with work. More gardening, had a break sitting in the sun, it was in and out, quite hot when out.

It got to 4.30, still no reply from J, maybe I would get a message when she finished at five. I didn't hear anything, really strange, must be some reason.

So another solitary day. I'm going down the garden to eat worms.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 00:22 BST (UK) »

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 01:12 BST (UK) »
Thought I would pop in and say Hi from New Zealand. Have been reading your posts for months and starting to feel a bit like a stalker.
Caroline; prices of courgettes in New Zealand were over $30 a Kilo. They were like gold.
Roobarb: I had the neighbour from hell living next door for 3 years.

My Day; Normal.
As of Monday mask's have to be worn on public transport. People are advised to wear them when out and about, but no one does.

Off out to have coffee and catch up with friends.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol80, it's great to have people from other countries post on the diary. Always interesting to see what's happening re covid19.
Good gracious need to send a shed load of courgettes to you then could make a fortune!
Hope you enjoy your coffee with your friends...
Do join us again rather than stalking us!

Barry's - good to hear about Roots Tech, I've already joined, but not sure this is necessarily the best thread to put it on?!

Roobarb- glad you've been out to the nurseries and got your bulbs planted up...
Pity about your friend... perhaps she'll contact you tomorrow hopefully...
What you need is some kind person to supply you with a new face covering!!
Bit drastic to be eating worms though.... you're going to the wrong supermarkets!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 01:32 BST (UK) »
Caroline Thanks for the Welcome. I think you are all amazing in the way you are dealing with Covid.
In New Zealand, we have been very lucky as we were in lockdown early. By June we were back to normal, well as close as you can get.
I am buying my courgette plants as i type as we are now into spring.
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 02:08 BST (UK) »
Carol - NZ has the best and worst - you are isolated from other countries by being so far away and your PM appears to be a good one making good decisions.
The worst was when our son lived there for 10 years it's along way to travel from U.K.! It's a beautiful country and we enjoyed our three visits there enormously and now feel sad that they moved to Brisbane ! Where you live was my DiL's favourite place!

Enjoy your courgettes!

Caroline 
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 14:54 BST (UK) »
Carol, good to hear from you. As Caroline said, it's always interesting to hear from around the world, it sounds like NZ has dealt with the pandemic very well.
Well done on getting rid of your nasty neighbour, I won't ask how you did it!  ;)

Caroline, I found my washable mask last night, it was in my handbag from when I thought I was going out a few weeks ago. Not required where I was supposed to be going but I like to be prepared. It was sewn by my friend B.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales