Author Topic: Tasmania (VDL): James TUCK, born 1829, Somers Town, Middlesex  (Read 326 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Tasmania (VDL): James TUCK, born 1829, Somers Town, Middlesex
« on: Wednesday 02 September 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,

James TUCK arrived in Hobart aboard the Adelaide on 29/11/1849, to serve the outstanding 3 years of his 7 year transportation sentence.   His sentence expired on 21/07/1852 according to the Cornwall Chronicle newspaper.

Sadly I can find no further information for him and wonder if someone could help please??

BAC3

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmania (VDL): James TUCK, born 1829, Somers Town, Middlesex
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 14:45 BST (UK) »
Don't be sad  ;D

I think he may have gone back to England when his sentence expired.  He says he was born in Somers Town, father Thomas, brothers I think are John or William and Thomas, sister MA (Mary Ann?), [at] NP (native place.  I don't know what the word/s are written slightly to the right hand side.

https://stors.tas.gov.au/CON14-1-38

Images 232 and 233

It is most likely the family living in Gee Street, Somers Town in 1841.

Class: HO107; Piece: 685; Book: 14; Civil Parish: St Pancras; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 14b; Folio: 29; Page: 52

In 1881 there is a James TUCK born Somers Town, aged 52.  He married Jane PLEASANT in 1855.

Class: RG11; Piece: 59; Folio: 101; Page: 24

I can see James and Jane in 1861 but I can't see James in the 1851 census so that also suits him being the right person.

Debra  :)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmania (VDL): James TUCK, born 1829, Somers Town, Middlesex
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 20:25 BST (UK) »
Good Evening Debra,

From Sad to Glad in one posting ::)

I had forgotten to check the departures from VDL and, eureka, all your information fell into place.  It now remains for me to check that information, filling in gaps wherever possible.

He worked his passage as a seaman, sailing aboard the Arnon from Launceston on 13/01/1854, just 9 days after completion of his sentence.   His marriage in 1855 to Jane PLEASANT seems almost "shotgun."    He is one of the very few ex-Parkhurst Prison "boys" who returned to the UK, especially from VDL.

Thank you for your help, I am indeed grateful.

For now,

Tony