Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 2nd September  (Read 611 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 2nd September
« on: Wednesday 02 September 20 21:08 BST (UK) »
Starting early tonight, feeling tired so I'm doing it before bath and bed. I'll probably end up reading too late but I'm giving myself a head start.

Diary:

I've been out for lunch!  :D

Woke much earlier than is usual these days, don't know why but I couldn't get back to sleep. Put my next Tesco order in and was reading the news etc then got a message from my friend A asking if I wanted to go to the local pub today for lunch. Although it would be inside I did want to go. If I want to go out in future I know I'd have to go indoors at some point so may as well do it now. We arranged that she would pick me up.

Went for my walk earlier than usual, it was bright and sunny and warmer than I thought. Came home and had a cuppa then got ready for lunch out, nice clothes, proper make-up, jewellery. My friend arrived on time and we went down to the pub, there was a sign outside saying that if you had a table booked to wait there until the greeter comes to you. We hadn't booked but she said she could provide us with a table. My friend told her it was my first time out and I was nervous, I think that's probably why she gave us a large table just for the two of us. We were told that they were giving a 50% discount on food and soft drinks. All the sanitisation and social distancing measures were in place, I soon settled down, although I did use a hand wipe on the cutlery handles and around my glass. The meal was really nice and it was lovely to have a chat with my friend. The pub only allows the table to be used for two hours, we were there a little bit longer but they didn't hurry us out. It was starting to rain a bit when we came out.

Back home, brought the bins in and relaxed for a while then hoovered the lounge and put some washing in. Then I got a message from my friend J to say she was unable to do a walk tonight due to work commitments but could do tomorrow. As it was yesterday when I'd texted her I wasn't sure when she had written this! Turns out that she'd just received my message and thought I'd sent it today. We're going for a walk tomorrow, weather forecast is good. It's pouring down now but despite that it's been a better day altogether.

Hope it's been a good day for everyone, both here and in the other countries where we've recently been hearing from people.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 2nd September
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 23:43 BST (UK) »
Roobarb - Wow!!!! So great to hear you've bitten the bullet, taken the plunge and had lunch out with your friend... once you're over that first hurdle I'm sure it'll be easier next time... I'm really please for you and glad you felt comfortable despite having to wipe cutlery handles and your glass... better safe than sorry... good day all round apart from the rain!

My day
Woke up to sunshine and quite warm, which always brightens the soul...
Had a message from the library to say there must be an issue with my details... suddenly had a brain wave... unusual for me especially in the morning! I logged into my library account... only I couldn't so I'd obviously changed my PIN number at some point and not made a note of it, so selected forgotten pin, created a new one used it to log into Borrowbox and bingo it worked! I'd also seen the app had been updated on 30th Aug so that could have had something to do with it... great all back to normal I can finish my book and enjoy the others...phew...
After breakfast decided I'd give the downstairs a good clean... even on my hands and knees in the conservatory cleaning the floor and paintwork... it was very warm.. felt quite pleased with myself having done it all...
Thought I deserved to sit outside and read for a while...
After lunch the window cleaner came, nice chap very obliging, turns his hand to anything, painted front of the house for us a few years ago as OH not keen on ladders and it was in the days before his hip replacements.. we swap stories as we were both in hospital with sepsis at the same time! I was lucky I could rest and recuperate whereas he had to get back to work more quickly although it was a while before he was up a ladder... I told him not to worry as I was terrified he'd fall off! We're both fine now thankfully.
Realised time was moving on so had quick shower as it was our first bookclub get together in friends garden... drive to her house, one other friend arrived who not seen since before lockdown, other friend now living in France near Carcassonne joined us via FaceTime... two others away one had appointment going to join later... our book was Educated by Tara Westover... sadly we'd only been outside for about 10 mins and it started to rain so we went into the conservatory with doors open... only three of us and one in France so we were fine... discussed the book, had cuppa and nice home baked Viennese biscuits ( she was a domestic science teacher in past life great cook) discussed what we'd do in the winter and thought probably have to resort to Zoom as being inside warm houses without open windows not conducive... one friends retired GP and one in France a pharmacist so chatted about vaccines timescales etc, she thought likely between winter and six months time, so will see!
Traffic home was busy, forgotten what that was like but it was well past 5pm when I left so caught up in people returning home plus massive roundabout re construction going on until 2021/22.... glad I don't have to cope with that every day!
Dinner was sausages, new pots, broccoli, carrots and onion gravy...
watched some more of  The Crown ... up to Princess Margaret scandal with Peter Townsend... OH doing his jigsaw... think he's on a mission as he's been at it most of the day!
Finished knitting two little cardis now for the hospital baby unit... starting on another little blanket..
So that's it for today... nice to get out of the house and see other faces if for only a brief time..
Look forward to catching up with others diaries from here and worldwide...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 September 20 00:30 BST (UK) »
Just getting ready for a hospital appointment so will pop back later and let you know how things are going in N.Z.

Well done Roobarb

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 20 07:40 BST (UK) »
Our Nick...And so the waiting continues....but so many memories have come flooding in from all sides, in particular from his many friends from early days in Bradford on Avon. Our house was open house to all our boys' friends.."open all hours".
We have been inundated with such lovely flowers there is now hardly room to put plates on the table to eat our meals. Today one bouquet came with a card and  message from four of his mates from that time..."with all our love from your adopted family".
Andrew is hoping to get permission to come home from Australia for Nick's funeral..we live in hope.
Many things to think of to keep our minds busy. Mark will be down from London for a couple of days tomorrow.
Thanks to all  for your continued support.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 20 07:41 BST (UK) »
Oh Roobarb, that is wonderful that you have been able to go out for a pub meal with your friend!  In some respects this might have felt like the old normal for you, despite new measures which are in place everywhere.  I hope you enjoy your walk with your friend J today too and that the weather is fine for you as predicted.

Caroline, sorry to read that you and OH once both had sepsis.  It does make you feel more grateful for the NHS and modern medicine.  We are very fortunate that most of us can take it for granted these days that we can likely recover from things our ancestors would have stood no chance against.
I continue to be amazed at how fast you churn things out with your sewing and knitting.  So many recipients now must have benefited from all your hard work. 

A warm welcome to Carol too.  It is great that you are joining in.  Although, we are all in this situation together we each will be experiencing different circumstances so it is good to get different perspectives on things.

My diary:

It was a day off but I still woke up at the crack of dawn. I felt quite worn out even thiugh I had just woken up. (yes, Brigidmac working these long shifts is not easy and it can catch up with me with tiredness particularly on the first day off.)

I had breakfast and two cups of tea and lounged about for a bit thinking about what I had to do in the day ahead.  Then I discovered online that the local studies has reopened!  This news was like receiving a shot of adrenaline.  I decided to shelve some of my other plans and go to the library instead.   I have waited so long for this part of the old normal to resume so I felt I could not put this off.
When I got to Shields I first went to my favourite bread shop.  I was a bit disappointed to see a notice that they have closed for their two week annual holiday.  I then went to the post office.  I then went to the local studies and booked a 45 minute slot.  That 45 minutes went so quickly.  It felt more like four and a half minutes.  Only 5 are allowed in at any one time and you can't help yourself to anything it has to be brought over by staff.  Then items you have touched have to go into quarantine for 72 hours. 

Something else which I am looking forward to is that my sister in laws sister has booked a holiday cottage for next month in the picturesque old village that I sometimes pass through on a certain bus when I am en route home from nightshift.  She has invited me for tea there when they come. I haven't got my rota for that far ahead but I know I will be off at some point during the seven days they will be here. I am so looking forward to this as it feels like stepping back in time when passing through that village.  The cottage is called 'Blacksmith's Cottage' and I like the sound of this.  I'm afraid I sent a very gushing acceptance to her invite.  ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 September 20 07:55 BST (UK) »
Jeff, we must have been both posting together.  It is good to hear from you with this update.  I have been wondering how things have been going for you and have been hoping you have been okay. I am sure others will have been thinking of you too at this sad time.

With all those tributes pouring in it sounds like your son was a very popular and much loved person with many friends.  I am glad that others are supporting you all with messages and lovely flowers and that Mark and hopefully Andrew will be able to attend the funeral.

Take care.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 September 20 08:09 BST (UK) »
Radstockjeff - how wonderful to have such an outpouring of memories and flowers from your sons friends. I'm sure that it must be a great comfort to you all to know how much he was valued and how comfortable they all felt in your home.
I do hope your son from Australia is able to come home. I can understand how important that is having a son there myself and feeling anxious about if and when we might see him, so for something as important as your situation it's another factor to add to an already sad occasio.
You are all in our thoughts at the moment.

RTL - it was the window cleaner and i who both had sepsis at the same time not my OH...and yes you're right in days gone by we would not have survived as even today it is something that people still loose their lives over. Gladly neither of us were in those statistics!
How lovely to have afternoon tea to look forward to in a pretty place. Great to you've been able to do your local studies again even if it went by in a flash! Hope you get to enjoy your time off before returning to your gruelling schedules.

Carol - nice to see you return if briefly and hope all went ok with your hospital visit. We look forward to hearing how things are in NZ too.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 September 20 08:24 BST (UK) »
Glad to see everyone has a little hope and things to look forward to battling onwards and upwards.
Hang onto the good times, and I wish you all a pain free day.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 September 20 08:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry Caroline for my mix up in my thoughts on what I have been reading  :-[..  I think I am still a bit tired.

I am back to work tomorrow so will try to make the most of time off today.  :)I am not too worried about the school kids and transport tomorrow as my hours don't conflict with theirs.  Next week I am on nights again and I am thinking now of a possible plan B bus route to take if I can't get on first bus because of the kids going back to school now.  It will mean more walking and more time but I may have to think of alternate ideas to get home.