Author Topic: Researching Jewish ancestry  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Itchyknickers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Researching Jewish ancestry
« on: Thursday 03 September 20 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

I’m trying to find my Jewish ancestors, my great grandfather and grandmother came to England from Russia and Poland, I’ve managed to narrow down their arrival to between 1881 and 1885, due to the census and the first-born’s date of birth.  I cannot find any records of them in Poland/Russia, despite extensive searching on Jewishgen.  Does anyone have any tips for finding them?  Their surname was Goldstein.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Researching Jewish ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 September 20 20:29 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :D

Do the census records you have found specify exactly where they were born?

You give no dates of birth or names of your Great grandfather and mother.

Have you looked at the Family Search website?  It is free to register.

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 September 20 20:31 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Lots of Goldstein's so can you give their christian names and birthyears from the census entries you have found.  Where were they living in England?

Do you know your great grandmothers maiden name?

What was the name of the child you mention? 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Itchyknickers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 20 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for your replies.  I’ll attach the census, so you can see the children (I hope that’s allowed).  The 1901 census was not transcribed correctly and Judith is Judah and Guedalla is Godallia.   My great grand mother used several different spellings of her maiden name on birth record etc - Slotki, Slotski, Slotkey, slodsky and Slotskey!  My great grandfather changed his Age by more than 10 years on each census, so his date of birth could be anything between 1938 and 1948!  I have tried using family search, but it didn’t come up with anything....   also to note, all the siblings changed their first names and/or their surnames, which made things extra tricky, but I think I have traced all of them to death, except for Godallia - all I’ve got for him is a birth record, then his name does not come up on any searches at all...

Moderator Comment: Copyright content removed.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php

Offline Itchyknickers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 20 22:55 BST (UK) »
Also, forgot to say, census shows the great grandparents as being born in Russia, but I’ve been told by several relatives that great grandfather was from Russia and great grandmother from Poland, but no one can tell me what towns they were from....

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 September 20 01:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

I embarked on a similar journey about 7 years ago so may have some tips

Which research sites do you use

Have you tried looking for naturalization or alien registration forms yet
Foreign born people had to obtain them in Ww1

Give as much information as you have about their place of origin childrens names etc
Children often named after ancestors tho you may find variations in Hebrew polish and English
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 September 20 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Somebody made a complete dog's dinner of the 1901 census. I have found the family in 1891 and 1911. I suspect that Joseph's age in 1911 is 10 years out.

Do you have a death certificate for Joseph? With this date, it may be possible to locate a burial record and then determine his full Hebrew name including his father's given name. The death of a 63-year-old Joseph Goldstein was registered in Stepney in Q3 of 1911.

Incidentally, Joseph and Annie had a daughter Rosie, whose birth was registered in Whitechapel in Q3 1895. The mother's maiden was recorded as Slotky.

Justin

Offline Itchyknickers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 September 20 16:17 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

I embarked on a similar journey about 7 years ago so may have some tips

Which research sites do you use

Have you tried looking for naturalization or alien registration forms yet
Foreign born people had to obtain them in Ww1

Give as much information as you have about their place of origin childrens names etc
Children often named after ancestors tho you may find variations in Hebrew polish and English

I’ve tried family search, ancestry, find my past and Jewishgen.....  I couldn’t find them in naturalisation documents but will try again.   

Did you manage to trace your family?

Offline Itchyknickers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 September 20 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Somebody made a complete dog's dinner of the 1901 census. I have found the family in 1891 and 1911. I suspect that Joseph's age in 1911 is 10 years out.

Do you have a death certificate for Joseph? With this date, it may be possible to locate a burial record and then determine his full Hebrew name including his father's given name. The death of a 63-year-old Joseph Goldstein was registered in Stepney in Q3 of 1911.

Incidentally, Joseph and Annie had a daughter Rosie, whose birth was registered in Whitechapel in Q3 1895. The mother's maiden was recorded as Slotky.

Justin

I have ordered a death certificate for Joseph, I found 3 possible death records, so ordered all three! They will take a few weeks to come though...  Thanks for the tip about Rosie, I hadn’t discovered that one, so will look it up...