Author Topic: Researching Jewish ancestry  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Itchyknickers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Researching Jewish ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 September 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
Can I ask you what site you used for Rosie’s birth record?  I’ve managed to find it, but it doesn’t state the mother’s maiden name.....  I’ve tried on find my past and ancestry

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 September 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
For mothers maiden names use

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

(Register first) Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Itchyknickers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 September 20 17:28 BST (UK) »

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 September 20 18:37 BST (UK) »
Yes itchy I found my great grandfather s family where they went ..mostly to USA and where they came from .thanks to a lot of help from Justin ( our Russians were from what is now Latvia)

And a lot of help from other rootschatters to find descendants.

Also DNA match confirmed some links and a third cousin sent me a photo of the great great grandfather.

I find more things on ancestry now than were there before ...but search in a different way using by location or under nationality use Jewish option .

Did find some useful documents on a visit to Manchester at their record office .

Good luck
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 September 20 18:51 BST (UK) »
What was their trade?
Another unexpected place I found some relatives was freemasonry lists

London & Manchester have good records records for Jewish school attendance that can tell you where child's last school was and maybe a more accurate birth date

Offline Itchyknickers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 September 20 19:15 BST (UK) »
Yes itchy I found my great grandfather s family where they went ..mostly to USA and where they came from .thanks to a lot of help from Justin ( our Russians were from what is now Latvia)

Also DNA match confirmed some links and a third cousin sent me a photo of the great great grandfather.

I find more things on ancestry now than were there before ...but search in a different way using by location or under nationality use Jewish option .

Did find some useful documents on a visit to Manchester at their record office .

Good luck

That’s good, unfortunately, because my family moved to England, it’s harder to trace, as they didn’t have to register their arrival, the records for those that moved to the US are much easier to trace, as they left a paper trail.  That’s a good tip to use ‘jewish’under nationality, thank you

I’ve done a DNA and just waiting on results, so hopefully that may help. I’ve already traced some second cousins, but unfortunately it seems I know more about the ancestry than the rest of the family, even my aunt doesn’t know as much as me! My dad died 15 years ago, so that’s not an option and he was very reluctant to talk about his family, I think there was an air of shame because they were so poor.....

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 September 20 19:55 BST (UK) »
If you can get your aunt to test too that would be really useful
I have a Slotsky dna match 5 th cousin level her tree is small just Russia to USA
Also several 4th cousin level Godstein but its a common surname and many have closed trees

My great grandfather died in Wales his hospital records said he was difficult paranoid believed he was persecuted and wanted something called Kosher food ...1922...

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 September 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
Ps I meant use the Jewish search option to find records from Russia Poland or other countries they may have travelled thru .

You re in safe hands if justin is on the case ..his suggestions will be structured
My suggestions are little extras

Offline Itchyknickers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 04 September 20 20:22 BST (UK) »
If you can get your aunt to test too that would be really useful
I have a Slotsky dna match 5 th cousin level her tree is small just Russia to USA
Also several 4th cousin level Godstein but its a common surname and many have closed trees

My great grandfather died in Wales his hospital records said he was difficult paranoid believed he was persecuted and wanted something called Kosher food ...1922...

Thanks for all your help, you never know, we may be related! 🤣