Author Topic: Deciphering text on a Northern Irish marriage registration  (Read 792 times)

Offline darianb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deciphering text on a Northern Irish marriage registration
« on: Thursday 03 September 20 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, I'm a bit stuck on a few words on the marriage registration below. The marriage is between John Craig and Nancy Moore. Fathers are John Craig and Andrew Moore. I can decipher most of it but I can't make out 1. Residence (assume it's somewhere near Belfast), 2. Rank of Father (Merchant and ???), 3. the witnesses - is that James Moore? Someone Craig? I can upload a larger version if this one is too small.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a feeling I'm on the verge of knocking down a very old brick wall.

Thanks
Darian

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering text on a Northern Irish marriage registration
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 September 20 21:25 BST (UK) »
Residence looks like Frenchpark/farm and Gregan(?)  Randalstown.

The occupation looks as though Private has been crossed out and 'Died' written in. 

Witnesses look like

James Moore and E M Craig

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 September 20 21:28 BST (UK) »
Frenchpark.
Gragan (probably now Groggan), Randalstown.

Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 20 21:29 BST (UK) »
It looks like Frenchpark to me. I only know of one in Roscommon though.

The other looks to be Gragan, Randalstown.

Occupation  ??? private

Witnesses James Moore and M R Craig
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 20 21:32 BST (UK) »
This one is not quite the same - easier to read but no line near the second occupation.
It looks like ‘Lived private’  :-\

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1868/11464/8213477.pdf
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 September 20 21:34 BST (UK) »
The line that looks like Private is crossed out is the cross for the T isn’t it. Like T in Merchant also

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 September 20 02:02 BST (UK) »
This one is not quite the same - easier to read but no line near the second occupation.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1868/11464/8213477.pdf
I agree. Letter L is like L in "Licence".  A way of saying he had a private income, he didn't have to work?
Cowban

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 September 20 04:52 BST (UK) »

Ooooh... I wonder why there are 2 registration records for the same marriage?  ???

(assuming the OP's version is 1868, even though it looks like 1865)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 September 20 05:29 BST (UK) »
There was/is an area/property  shown on maps called Frenchpark in the townland of Ballygrooby (Drummaul civil parish), just to the east of Randalstown (approx. half a mile, immediately off the Barnish Road).

Look at the groom in the following 1872 marriage, Henry F. Craig of 'Ballygrubey Drumaul Co. Antrim', father John Craig recorded as a linen merchant ...
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1872/11323/8155500.pdf

... for the marriage notice in local newspapers of the time described him as 'Mr. Henry F. Craig, Frenchpark, Randalstown, county Antrim'.

Also, when a Mary Elizabeth Craig of Randalstown, Drummaul (widow of a linen manufacturer) died in 1880 ...
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1880/06480/4864243.pdf

... the local newspaper death notice read 'Craig - At the residence of her daughter, Randalstown, on the 13th inst., Mary E. Craig, of Frenchpark, aged 80 years.'.

This essay from the National Folklore Schools' Collection (1937-8) suggests a farmhouse called French park in that area as well:
https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/5009063/4982709/5119717

Edited to add: A local newspaper in 1903 carried a notice announcing 'instructions from JOHN CRAIG, Esq., to Sell by Public AUCTION... ALL THAT VERY DESIREABLE FARM OF LAND AND PREMISES, with the Buildings thereon, known as "FRENCHPARK," situate in the Townland of Ballygrooby, containing 75a. 2r. 6p., or thereabouts...'.