Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 3rd September  (Read 510 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 3rd September
« on: Thursday 03 September 20 23:51 BST (UK) »
Nice bright morning after heavy rain last night, it was quite windy . Usual walk, the field had been cut.

After domestic chores and lunch I went out to do some gardening. Cut down some plants that were finished for this year and dug out some of the roots that had spread too far. I had lots of bulbs stored from last year, dug some holes and planted some daffodils in the garden and in one of the very large pots. Topped the pot with some small bulbs, not entirely sure what they are but I'll find out in the spring. The sun was warm but it was getting windy, came indoors for a cuppa.

Off out at five for a walk with my friend J, took her a couple of pots with cuttings of hardy fuchsias that I'd been growing for her, they're ready to plant. Walked around an area we had only been to once before, J had to be back by 6.30 but had a good walk nevertheless.

Chicken Kiev for tea, had a glass of wine.

Quite concerned about the situation in this area, there have been seven new cases confirmed in the last week. In the nearest big town there were forty reported in four days. They're hoping to avoid a local lockdown. Actually I'm not sure how reliable those figures are as every article I've read in the local newspaper gives a different number although none of them vastly different.

We haven't heard from PharmaT for a while, hope she's okay.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 3rd September
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 September 20 00:25 BST (UK) »
My you've had a productive day Roobarb. Glad to hear your weather was definitely better than ours!
It's a bit concerning when you hear the rise in numbers around the country. One if the towns near us, according to the local BBC news, has the second highest numbers per 100,000 in the country... as you say it's hard to quantify it all.
You're right we've not heard from PharmaT for some considerable time...

My day

Woke to hear the telephone ringing but knew O.H was up as he was going to golf early so let him answer it... as I suspected it was one of his golf buddies to say he'd been in A&E since 3am! He had an accident yesterday late afternoon apparently... he hit a cyclist, who was fine, but he himself was quite shaken up so thought he ought to get checked out... he has Parkinson's and to be honest not sure he ought to be driving... but that's between him and his doctors... his wife's away in Crete with their daughter... so OH not happy about playing golf with him anyway once she returns.
I realised after a while that he was still in the house so obviously no golf... it was raining too...
After breakfast sat and finished my book....
Now the hot  tap in the kitchen sink has had a slight drip for a while and it's gradually got worse to the extent that when we're not using it it gets turned off at the isolation tap in the cupboard under the sink...OH has replaced the valves on several occasions over the 11 years since its installation... but when he last looked the other day he said he'd need to get a plumber in... good luck with that!
I informed him that I wasn't diving under the sink every time I wanted the hot tap on and he needed to do something about it now! .... ever wished you'd kept your trap shut🤐
Right well we'd better go and look for one was the answer I got...
Ehhh... ok where...
well we'll look on the Internet  first and then go out...
Wasn't keen on that idea at all... it was still raining and I didn't fancy traipsing round...
So we had a look, current taps a Frankie been ok suspect most of the valve problem is our hard water.. replacement valves  cost about £30 each 😱
By this time it's lunch time...
We couldn't find anything we liked so he finds a website that's selling the valves for £12.50 a pair... phones them to check details and orders them... now need to find a plumber to come and fit it...
Totally cheesed off.. wasted whole morning and half the afternoon...
In disgust I go to my work room switch the radio on and get on with my sewing as now getting pressure to supply some face coverings...
I get brought a cuppa a bit later but don't say a word except thank you!
By late afternoon the grey clouds and rain seems to have gone and skies looking blue ...
Had meatballs with kidney beans in chilli sauce with potatoes and vegs and a glass of much needed wine!
Watched some more episodes of The Crown...
what a pointless day...
Only bright spot was message from our daughter with pictures of them up Snowdon, on the train and lovely scenery, bit cloudy but good views and not wet...
Hope others have fared better today...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 September 20 01:53 BST (UK) »
Woken up this morning by home phone ringing - let it go to answerphone and rang back caller later.  Another dull and cold day and by late afternoon it was pouring with rain.   

Amended my grocery order for tomorrow and then settled down to my knitting.   You start at the neck and the pattern around yoke is quite intricate with umpteen 'wool round needle' in every other row.   Easy to make a mistake and had to undo rows 2/3 times.   Was spitting feathers I can tell you.  Consequently, now have a stiff neck from sitting in one position for so long.  Some of my patterns are in 3ply and it's nigh on impossible to find in local shops at any time.   So I went online, found some, and have ordered in white, vanilla and peach.  My niece not fond of the standard 'pink' for baby girls.

Just a makeshift meal tonight from what was about to become out of date in the fridge.   Still raining!   Finished off the patterned yoke and now each part, right front, sleeve, etc. is knitted in turn with hem for jacket and the sleeves in picot edging.   Watched some TV, did washing up, made a coffee and here I am on Rootschat.

Hoping for some nicer weather soon before Autumn upon us.

Annette     
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 September 20 02:34 BST (UK) »
I will post first and then go back and read what I have missed.
Just so you know where I live. I am in Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty which is in the North Island.
At 1pm 3/9/20 here in New Zealand, we had  115 active cases of COVID.  36 are at the border (not allowed into NZ yet) and 79 are in the Comunity of which 2 are in ICU. We had an outbreak in August but this was limited mainly to Auckland, so we are all in some sort of lockdown. We have had a total of 1,408 cases in NZ and 22 deaths.
In March we went into full lockdown. Everything shut. Only Supermarkets and petrol stations were allowed to open. After 2 day's dairies were allowed to open. One in one out. Social distancing of 2 metres. We were allowed out for exercise but had to stay local. The head of the house was the one that did the shopping again staying local. Then as cases eased we were allowed to do more. Retail shops were allowed to trade online in level 3. Hairdressers, Pub's and restaurants were last to open.
Not much to do in the main lockdown as we were going into winter.
We reached level one in June. Level 1 was back to a sort of normal. Still, handwashing, sneezing in the elbow and staying home if you were feeling unwell. But otherwise normal.
Have just read today's update 4/9/20.  5 new cases of which Two cases are in managed isolation and three are in the community. Now 112 active cases. 6 in hospital,2 in ICU.
We get a daily update at 1pm every day.
This is only a brief idea of life in NZ with COVID.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 September 20 03:17 BST (UK) »
Have just caught up with the posts.

Jeff; So sorry to hear about the loss of your son. Thinking of you and your family. Stay strong.

In Tauranga, I am at level 2 lockdown. (we have 4 levels for lockdown, 4 being a total lockdown and 1 being the new normal.) Level 2 for me is social distancing, no gatherings over 100, encouraged to wear a mask, washing hands etc ) Masks are now compulsory on all public transport in level 2 or higher. We also have an app to download to our phones and all places have to display a QR code to be scanned by anyone entering the premises. For those without a phone, you have to sign in. This is for contact tracing. 50% of New Zealanders over 15 have signed up for the app.
Yesterday I had a hospital appointment. No queues for me just scan the code and I'm in. A long passageway to walk down. Not very wide so it is hard to keep your distance.
 I have blocked arteries in my legs so my hospital appointment was to assess me for surgery. They are going to see if they can put stents in my left leg.
After reading the different post's on this board we seem to be very relaxed here with everything working as normal now, apart from a few restrictions.
Had fish, peas, beans and potatoes for tea. Tried to watch T.V. but fell asleep.

Carol feeling lucky to be living in N.Z
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 September 20 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol...  your report on Covid situation in NZ very interesting,  and I hope your appointment was productive.  We were supposed to be having a Big Trip to NZ next month, but it has been rolled over to 2021, though who knows.....

Well done Roobarb, gradually getting back to normal.  Caroline, I am horrified that you are being pressured to churn out even more after the massive sterling work you have already done.  Good luck with the findaplumber game. So frustrating when you find a mistake from ages ago in the knitting isn't it Annette!!

We had a really misty and damp day yesterday. Thank heavens for access to Ancestry. ;)  H went out to teach a student, got lost and was gone SO long his meal was not hot by the time he came home.  So we are all gathering some normality again. ;D  Stayed  up late to phone DiL in Melbourne to wish her a happy birthday.  The children are very excited that one of the guinea pigs is about to have babies.

Thinking of Jeff and RTL and feeling somewhat lucky. 
Hope you all can have a reasonable day. :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 September 20 14:43 BST (UK) »
Caroline - Oh dear, what a very frustrating day, I hope you can find a plumber who doesn't want to charge you an extortionate price. Fingers crossed it's a better day all round for you today.

Annette - frustrating for you too with your knitting, must be something in the air! Hope it gets easier when you get into the swing of it.

Carol, the Bay of Plenty sounds lovely, I've Googled it and it looks lovely too. It's really interesting to hear what's happening in NZ, particularly as it's been winter there, although much warmer temperatures than our winter.

Mowsehowse - miserable weather there too, it seems that for once we had it much better in the north. Had a look at today's forecast, looks like a better day for all.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales