Author Topic: Who were the parents of sisters, Mary and Biddy Hill from Tipperary, Ireland?  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who were the parents of sisters, Mary and Biddy Hill from Tipperary, Ireland?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 12 September 20 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, if the Laurence Slattery is correct then in the tithe records he is listed.
Both places of Ballygibbon and Ballymakey are next to each other.

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=slattery&firstname=lau*&county=Tipperary&parish=&townland=&search=Search

Shanrahan is more south nearer to the Tipperary - Waterford border.

1864 is the year Civil records were introduced in Ireland. Harder to find, before then and most Parishes didn't record deaths.
Maggsie

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who were the parents of sisters, Mary and Biddy Hill from Tipperary, Ireland?
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 September 20 00:51 BST (UK) »
Have compiled the immigration details with a few question marks on illegible bits

Tasmania Passenger Arrivals, Descriptive List of Immigrants 1854
Catherine Slattery - 22y, RC, R&W, Cy Tipperary, Anything but washing, teach children
Mary Slattery - 20y, RC, R&W, Cy Tipperary, cook small family, ??(edit>needle?) woman housemaid?, not wash
(notes on both) cousins Mary & Bridget Hill; recommended ?? letter from? Bishop

Biddy Hill - 18y, RC, R&W, Cy Tipperary, not? cook or wash, general house service, (remarks) not service?
Mary Hill - 18y, RC, R&W, Cy Tipperary, wash cook housemaid
(notes) sisters

Immigrants Arriving Under the Indenture System 1854-6
Catherine Slattery - 22y, Rom. Cath., Read & Write, Tipperary, Needlewoman
Mary Slattery - 20y, Rom. Cath., Read & Write, Tipperary, Nurserymaid

Biddy Hill - 18y, Rom. Cath.,Read & Write, Tipperary, General servant
Mary Hill - 20y, Rom. Cath.,Read & Write, Tipperary, House servant

Registers of the Hiring and Disposal of Immigrants 1853-6
Catherine Slattery - Oct 5, Needle woman, Mrs Zilli, Orielton Pittwater, £20, 6 months, with rations, signed Eliza Zelly
Mary Slattery - Oct 7, Nursery Maid, Rev. Mr. Murray, Kangaroo Point, £20, 6 months, with rations, signed Wm W F Murray

Biddy Hill - Nov 7, General servant, Mrs Webb, Murray st, £18, 12months, with rations, signed Mrs Webb
Mary Hill - Oct 10, House servant, Mr J Coram, Hobart Town, £20, 6 months, with rations, signed J T Coram

M

Offline 20meida20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 September 20 07:39 BST (UK) »
Matthew,

Thank you for transcribing these records.  Yes, scribbled notes on the Descriptive List of Immigrants state quite clearly that Mary and Biddy Hill were sisters and Catherine and Mary Slattery their cousins.

The baptismal records are of great interest to me.  They confirm some of the new information which has come forth during the past few days.  Mary Ann's death certificate states that she was born in 1858.  I had always queried that date and thought it far more probable it was 1856.

Shall track down other church records and Bridget Hill's death certificate.

Mary

Offline 20meida20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 September 20 07:49 BST (UK) »
Maggsie,

Thanks for your post.  Shall delve into it.

Mary

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 September 20 07:58 BST (UK) »
I'd suggest maybe holding off on Bridget Hill's Tasmanian death certificate as they can be expensive and have  blank information. During the week I'll contact the Catholic archives here to see if they have anything on her 30 years of service to Rev Dean Woods, as well as descendant who may have a clue as to why she is buried in the Westbrook/Ogilvie grave. There may be other Turnbull baptisms as well, but they moved around a bit running hotels.

The letter from Bishop (Matin?) would be useful to know if anyone can decipher it
EDIT - There's a note on the far right of the Slattery's entry that I believe reads 'recommended <(insert) letter from Bishop> matin??'
https://stors.tas.gov.au/CB7-12-1-1$init=CB7-12-1-1p96j2k

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 September 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
Another Slattery sister

(Add - marriage 1864)
Dunne - Slattery On the 8th inst. at St Mary's Church Castlemaine by the Rev P Smyth Catholic Administrator, Joseph Henry Dunne, Esq, Crown Prosecutor, to Lizzie Mary, youngest daughter of the late Laurence Slattery Esq, Nenagh, County of Tipperary, Ireland
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article197442488

Accidental death 1897
'...a sister of Dean Slattery of Geelong'
1897 'A POSTMISTRESS BURNT TO DEATH.', The Australasian (Melbourne, Vic. : 1864 - 1946), 25 December, p. 38. , http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article138632200

Family details unknown in Vic death reg

M

ADD
Articles re the death of Joseph Henry Dunne
1877 'THE LATE MR. DUNNE.', The McIvor Times and Rodney Advertiser  http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article91836931

1877 'DEATH OF MR. J. H. DUNNE.', Bendigo Advertiser  http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article88209329

Offline 20meida20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 14 September 20 05:03 BST (UK) »
Matthew,

I am immensely grateful.  Thank you.  Shall look forward to see what you discover.

Very sobering newspaper cuttings - quite graphic really.

I am unable to access the letter to be deciphered.  Link takes me to immigration records.

Mary

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 14 September 20 07:07 BST (UK) »
I am unable to access the letter to be deciphered.  Link takes me to immigration records.

Apologies, I worded that poorly and have edited it above, it is in the immigration record

There is a line that I think indicates that the words 'letter from Bishop' should be placed after 'recommended', and the last word would be the name or maybe title(?) of the Bishop

Two more baptisms

Alfred Jacob TURNBULL born Feb 2 1861 bapt. April 12
f. Jacob TURNBULL m. Mary Margaret (olim HILL)
sponsor Eliza PENDERGAST

Percival James TURNBULL born Oct 25 1862 bapt. Nov 2
f. Jacob TURNBULL m. Mary Margaret (olim HILL)
sponsor Kate Mary AUSTIN

Offline 20meida20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 17 September 20 05:02 BST (UK) »
Matthew,

How did you gain access to the baptismal records?  Through the TAHO site or the Catholic Archives website.  The originals would be held at St. Joseph's Church in Hobart?  How would I go about acquiring copies (printouts) of the originals?  William's would be of interest to me, as would Etty's and the other children born in NZ.

No luck in deciphering 'matin'.  I do not think it is the name of the bishop who provided recommendations for the Slatterys.  (No initial capital and outside the brackets).

Shall wait to see if you receive any further information about Bridget Hill before summarizing the findings.

I continue to look very closely at the Slattery/Murray/Hill connections.

With thanks,
Mary