Author Topic: Help finding details of emmigration from Poland to England 1845-1855  (Read 320 times)

Offline JayBeePee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding details of emmigration from Poland to England 1845-1855
« on: Friday 04 September 20 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all!

I have ancestors that emmigrated from Poland/Prussia to England some time between 1845 and 1855.

I am looking find details of their passage to England. Are there online resources that might help find more specific dates and routes? Passenger lists? Immigration records?

The people in question are:

SOLOMON, Israel born about 1825
SOLOMON, Rosina, born about 1822, his wife
SOLOMON, Dinah Miriam, born about 1847, his daughter

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Jason

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding details of emmigration from Poland to England 1845-1855
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 September 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, there are no consolidated immigration records or passenger lists held in the UK for this period.

Alien arrivals were recorded under the provisions of the Aliens Act 1836, and the relatively few surviving lists and certificates are on Ancestry (England, Alien Arrivals, 1810-1811, 1826-1869). They are not ‘complete’ in any sense, relatively few first names are given, and it can be hard to identify people.

The Hamburg Passenger lists start in 1850, for passengers sailing from Hamburg for the UK and (mainly) the USA. These are in German, the early ones are hard to read and are heavily mistranscribed by Ancestry (Hamburg Passenger Lists, 1850-1934).

Is yours the family in Birmingham in 1861?

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 September 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
I have tried (unsuccessfully) to find my great grandparents who came to London from Brussels (via Antwerp, I believe) at some point between August 1870 and December 1876 (first date was birth of daughter in Brussels, second date birth of son in London).

I've not been able to find any travel records, but thought I might find the daughter's enrolment into school in London, but sadly although I can find records for all the London-born siblings, she doesn't appear.

Are there any school records you could try for the daughter?
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline JayBeePee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 September 20 22:46 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, there are no consolidated immigration records or passenger lists held in the UK for this period.

Alien arrivals were recorded under the provisions of the Aliens Act 1836, and the relatively few surviving lists and certificates are on Ancestry (England, Alien Arrivals, 1810-1811, 1826-1869). They are not ‘complete’ in any sense, relatively few first names are given, and it can be hard to identify people.

The Hamburg Passenger lists start in 1850, for passengers sailing from Hamburg for the UK and (mainly) the USA. These are in German, the early ones are hard to read and are heavily mistranscribed by Ancestry (Hamburg Passenger Lists, 1850-1934).

Is yours the family in Birmingham in 1861?

Yes, the family ended up in Birmingham and the earliest record I have is the 1861 Census.

Ancestry.com has been helpful from that point on in their timeline but the trail goes cold prior. The most I have been able to find so far are two potential births for Israel SOLOMON in the Jewish Records Indexing Project but my knowledge of Prussian geography has me baffled about which, if either, is his.

My grandmother related that her ancestors were "Jewish gypsies that roamed around Poland" so I fear that finding more will be impossible. I will have a harder look in the two sources you mentioned, though.

Thank you for the hints.

Jason

Offline JayBeePee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 September 20 22:50 BST (UK) »
Are there any school records you could try for the daughter?

That's a good hint, thanks. I'll see what I can find out about schools near where the family resided.

Jason

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 September 20 00:38 BST (UK) »
I don't know whether you've seen this familysearch webpage./

It gives general information including an explanation of the three Polish areas on mainland Europe.

As others have also mentioned, the UK government only kept incoming passenger lists for ten years and then they were destroyed, although some were overlooked for varying reasons.

I've surfed to see if I can find anything, but unfortunately not. In case it helps and gives you an inkling;  I found details of the arrival in England of my Hanoverian gt. grandfather in the County Police Files under the heading "Aliens" and there were only about a dozen Aliens in the file.  He was 10 years, one day old when he arrived with some travelling musicians - and as somebody has already mentioned, there already were some other Hanoverian musicians from his home area, who were already in the English town.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline JayBeePee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 September 20 01:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Rena.