Author Topic: Marriage witness deciphering  (Read 254 times)

Offline zachinton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage witness deciphering
« on: Friday 04 September 20 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there, would anyone be able to help decipher the name of the first witness on this marriage certificate please?

It's for the marriage of Joseph Hinton and Elizabeth Gallagher in Sunderland, 1897. The second witness is A Pybus (Annie Pybus). The full certificate is in this post here for extra context here:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=836685.msg7019580#msg7019580

I'm trying to track down details of Joseph Hinton and thinking to try to work out who this witness was, but can't quite crack it. Thanks!
Hinton (Halifax, Sunderland, Ireland); Gallagher (Sunderland, Longford, Ireland); Roughton (Lancashire); Atkinson (Lincoln); Graham (Nottinghamshire); Lupton (Cumberland, Yorkshire); Thwaite, Morley, Cockbain (Threlkeld, Cumberland); Thorn (Devon); Leaver/Lever (Somerset); Morris (Cambridgeshire); Cayford (Wiltshire)

Online shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage witness deciphering
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 September 20 02:42 BST (UK) »
Looks a bit like Duncan to me.  Perhaps 'S' is the initial.

Offline zachinton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage witness deciphering
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 September 20 13:56 BST (UK) »
Duncan's a great suggestion. I had been struggling with the first letter, I wanted to say P but with an errant downward stroke but it doesn't match with other capital Ps on the same page. D really makes sense.

Also, the final three letters I wasn't sure but 'can' looks good.

Definitely agree with that initial S, that's consistent with similar elsewhere on the page.

Thanks. Going to see if I can link an S. Duncan to the married couple.
Hinton (Halifax, Sunderland, Ireland); Gallagher (Sunderland, Longford, Ireland); Roughton (Lancashire); Atkinson (Lincoln); Graham (Nottinghamshire); Lupton (Cumberland, Yorkshire); Thwaite, Morley, Cockbain (Threlkeld, Cumberland); Thorn (Devon); Leaver/Lever (Somerset); Morris (Cambridgeshire); Cayford (Wiltshire)