Author Topic: Searching For Details About My Father from Germany  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Liam59

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching For Details About My Father from Germany
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 12 September 20 18:18 BST (UK) »
The embassy website says you can book a passport appointment if you wish:
"If you probably acquired German citizenship automatically, you can book a passport appointment."
https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/citizenship/acquiring-citizenship

It looks like the main places are London and Edinburgh with some regional offices:
https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/pass/appointment-booking

https://uk.diplo.de/blob/502590/4adebf571419a4a8a5ac8d17cdbeda61/passport-hk-application-data.pdf

Offline Colin Marschall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 18:55 BST (UK) »
I have just read back and seen the posts about your father's marriage so it owuld seem congratulations are in order - you are already German!  ;D

Liz

German citizenship by being born in wedlock

Children born in wedlock between Jan. 1, 1914 and Dec. 31, 1974, acquired German citizenship only if the father was a German citizen at the time of their birth.

THat is what I thought .. however .. I contacted the German Embassy in London via email giving them all the information I have, there reply was -

Thank you for your enquiry.

If you are able to provide sufficient proof that your father was German in the time you were born in wedlock, then there should be no problem.

I'm now confused as to what else (if anything) they require.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 19:12 BST (UK) »
I imagine they will need sight of a certified copy of your birth certificate and a certified copy of your parents' marriage certificate?

Which will prove your birth in wedlock.

I am open to being corrected.  You might ask them what evidence they are looking for.

Haven't read back through the thread - have you received your parents' marriage certificate yet to get your father's father's details? 
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Colin Marschall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 19:32 BST (UK) »
I imagine they will need sight of a certified copy of your birth certificate and a certified copy of your parents' marriage certificate?

Which will prove your birth in wedlock.

I am open to being corrected.  You might ask them what evidence they are looking for.

Haven't read back through the thread - have you received your parents' marriage certificate yet to get your father's father's details?

I have the copy of my parents marriage certificate, and I'm waiting for a full unabridged copy of my birth certificate.

I also have a signed deceleration from the UK National Archives that there is no record of my father ever holding UK citizenship.

Offline Liam59

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hopefully once your full birth certificate arrives, that should be fine along with your parents' marriage certificate (and, if they need it, the declaration from the UK national archives).

Once you've got your full birth certificate I should think that will be helpful to take with you to your passport appointment.

In terms of your ancestors and finding out more about them, Igor was asking about the marriage certificate - does that give you some more details e.g. your grandfather's name and profession?

Offline Colin Marschall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 24 September 20 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hopefully once your full birth certificate arrives, that should be fine along with your parents' marriage certificate (and, if they need it, the declaration from the UK national archives).

Once you've got your full birth certificate I should think that will be helpful to take with you to your passport appointment.

In terms of your ancestors and finding out more about them, Igor was asking about the marriage certificate - does that give you some more details e.g. your grandfather's name and profession?

I have some more information .. my mother died recently and my sister was sorting through her papers and came across my fathers German Passport which gives his place of birth as Francenhof, KRS. Bromberg (I think the Francenhof is spelt incorrectly and should be Frankenhof as I can find no reference to Francenhof anywhere).

The marriage certificate says my dads father name was Wilhelm Marschall, occupation farmer (Frankenhof is a farm in Germany just outside Nuremberg)

I also have a document that I can't make out the wording, it looks like a Christening and confirmation booklet .. photo attached.

Offline Liam59

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 24 September 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
The wording on the front I think is:
"Kirchenpass
Unierte evangelische Kirche in Polen"

Polen is Poland
Unierte evangelische I think is a protestant grouping of churches.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 25 September 20 13:08 BST (UK) »
The Unierte Evangelische Kirche Polen was (according to German wikipedia) centred in Poznań in Poland between the two World Wars and was, as Liam59 says, a group of Protestant Churches.

I have just found a fascinating blog (dated June 2020) "Köln ohne Kirchenpass – Die Archivale des Monats Juni" (Cologne without Church passes - the archives in the month of June) about membership cards, on the Evangelical Church of Cologne website. It says that they could be a proof of identity but also were for someone to carry as a reminder to them that they were a Christian and the duties that entailed (prayer, reading the Bible, going to worship etc). Apparently over a hundred years ago the idea didn't catch on in Köln but it had in Berlin and elsewhere and a publishing house in Arnstadt made them.

Here's a link but it is all in German: https://www.kirche-koeln.de/koeln-ohne-kirchenpass-die-archivale-des-monats-juni/

I'm not sure how this ties in with your father but it won't be something you need to show the German Embassy  ;D

Liz

(ADDED: this letter (ß) at the end of Kirchenpaß can be written as ss in English.)
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 27 September 20 09:36 BST (UK) »
as Liz said, the Unierte Evangelische Kirche Polen was centred in Posen (Poznan)

It´s a long shot, but your father´s family may have came from there.

Here is a link to the Poznan Projekt
http://poznan-project.psnc.pl/index.php?lang=en

Type in Marschall, you´ll get 154 hits.
This only deals with the 19th century

Dave