Author Topic: Jesmond cemetery  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jesmond cemetery
« on: Saturday 05 September 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
I'm wanting to create a find a grave memorial for my potential 4th great grandfather Patrick Forbes but not sure what cemetery it would be?

Old Jesmond or All Saints?

Burial record states New of Jesmond

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JZLQ-MQ3

Any suggestions please?

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jesmond cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 September 20 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

On the card catalogue this entry is showing from St Andrew's Roman Catholic Church.
There were 3 Jesmond cemeteries - Old Jesmond, All Saints, & St Andrews & Jesmond.  I suppose he might be in any of these places.

I think you might need to wait until Newcastle local studies or Tyne and Wear Archives reopens perhaps to look him up to find out what cemetery he may be in.  Both these places have the burial registers.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 September 20 22:19 BST (UK) »
I checked Find a Grave earlier today and there doesn't seem to be a monument* for him so it looks as if your only source would be Tyne and Wear archives, as RTL has suggested.

I did find a report in one of the online local newspapers (Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury, 08/12/1866)  but it just reported the death, not a burial.

*Add - the cemeteries do appear to have the inscriptions for that year.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 September 20 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks RTL and Gadget.
I thought his may be the case, I didnt realise there were actually 3 cemetery and hope someone would be able to distinguish the 2 I had.

I will have to get a BNA subscription again to check newspapers. It I will have a look thanks.

The only Forbes memorials in jesmond on FAG I can see are in old jesmond and I'm yet to see a family link.

Hopefully the archives will open again soon!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 September 20 17:11 BST (UK) »
Lisa, a lot of the burial records for these cemeteries are available to browse if you register with Family Search (free).

Search the catalogue https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog for Newcastle upon Tyne, then click on Cemeteries. You will see that there are a variety of records available, including for All Saints and Jesmond. Click on the links, and if there is a camera icon, click on that and you can browse to your hearts content.

You are in luck. All Saints was at the top of the list, so I had a quick look through what was available, and by chance found your entry. I also found someone distantly related to me, so that was a bonus  :)

Section C (Unconsecrated) grave 38
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-P3VC-2PKH?i=606&cat=828595 (towards the bottom of the r-h page)

It was lucky he was in All Saints. I had a look at the Jesmond records and they are a real muddle.

By the way what do you mean by 'potential' 4th great-grandfather?

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 September 20 17:36 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks JenB.
I didn't k ow you could do that on family search! That's a helpful tool.

I mean potential as I have not 100% confirmed it yet. Need to order certs etc.
As I have the name Patrick Forbes on my 3rd Great Grandparents marriage certificate.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 September 20 17:39 BST (UK) »
There are loads of records hidden away on FS. They aren't indexed, so don't come up on a normal name search.

You have to go into the catalogue to find what is available, and be prepared to browse through to find what you want.

If this Patrick is only a possibility, if were you I'd not make that memorial until you are 100% certain  ;)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 September 20 17:46 BST (UK) »
It certainly looks like him Jennifer. Good find. The newspaper announcement has him as dying at Grenville Terrace  on 1st Dec, aged 57.

I didn't know about the hidden gems for Newcastle on FS either.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 September 20 18:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have him at 7 Grenville Street!
I will certainly do a bit more confirming before hand to make sure I get the memorial correct.

Thank you all for your help. Found some great new tips out  ;D