Author Topic: Duffield baptismal registers - Margaret White 1796  (Read 762 times)

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Duffield baptismal registers - Margaret White 1796
« on: Saturday 05 September 20 17:46 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the parents of Margaret White from Duffield Derbyshire born about 1796, I do hope that someone can help me please. I have a full Ancestry subscription and have looked on family search also but to no avail.

Margaret was a spinster of the parish when she married the bachelor Daniel Revell/Revil in Duffield, Derbyshire 29 Oct 1820. Witnesses were Joseph White and Ruth Stenson.

In 1841 she was living in All Saints, Derby, Derbyshire with her family, she stated that she was born in Derbyshire in 1796.

In 1851 she was living in Devonshire Street St Peters, Derby with the family, again she stated she was born 1796 in Duffield.

She died in 1858, I do not have her Death certificate.
I cannot find a baptism for a Margaret White that would fit with the 1796 birth year. There are quite a few White families in Duffield baptising children in the 1790s and I am at a loss as to how I am going to find her parents. Any help would be appreciated please. I wondered if Margaret might not have been her baptismal name but would appreciate some fresh eyes looking at this lady.

Thank you

Felix
LEWIS, WOODCOCK, ALLWOOD, WITHERINGTON, ASH, CURTIS, WILLIAMSON, FANTOM, FREE, PARKER, MARROW, SHICKELL, ELLIOTT, REVELL, NEVITT, KNEVIT, WHITEMAN.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duffield baptismal registers - Margaret White 1796
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 September 20 19:54 BST (UK) »
Familysearch has margaret white born 13 Oct 1796 in Doncaster.

A possible

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01pvd/

Mike

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 September 20 20:14 BST (UK) »
Have you trawled thro the images for Duffield available on Familysearch,  1796 is about page 220

Mike

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 September 20 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

The Doncaster Margaret is a possible but also the Southwell baptism. Both possibilities. I have trawled through the Ancestry images of the Duffield registers for that year and a year either side but with no luck. I will look on family search to see if they are the same set of images.

Thank you so much for giving this some thought.

Felix
LEWIS, WOODCOCK, ALLWOOD, WITHERINGTON, ASH, CURTIS, WILLIAMSON, FANTOM, FREE, PARKER, MARROW, SHICKELL, ELLIOTT, REVELL, NEVITT, KNEVIT, WHITEMAN.

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 September 20 21:45 BST (UK) »
Yes they are exactly the same pages, so no joy there. I think it may just be too difficult to go any further back.

Best wishes

Felix

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 September 20 23:27 BST (UK) »

I have trawled through the Ancestry images of the Duffield registers for that year and a year either side but with no luck. I will look on family search to see if they are the same set of images.

You say here you have looked at the images 'a year either side'.
My advice would be to look at AT LEAST 5 years either side of any date when researching anything.
Before birth certificates in 1837, not everybody knew exactly when they were born, or even exactly where.
There may be any number of reasons why.
Also, as of now, people may have other reasons for 'stretching the truth'.
If she was born in 1796 and married in 1820, she would have been 24. Do you know how old Daniel Revell was? Perhaps she altered her age to fit with his - either older or younger. (I have several cases of people being 'economical with the truth'!).
Or perhaps she had always been told that date by her parents and it was incorrect for whatever reason - you were born 'the year of the big storm' could have one of several!

Have you traced Joseph White the witness at the marriage?
There would be a good chance he would have been a relative of some sort - perhaps her brother.
His baptism? where he is the Censuses? when he died? etc.
Did he have any children? There's a good chance he may have named his first son, or another son, after his father.
Same goes for Margaret's children. Did she have any sons? Do the names tally with those on Daniel Revel's side? Perhaps one was her father's name.

Another avenue to go down is looking at wills.
Perhaps Joseph (above) left a will and mentions his sister?
Derbyshire wills pre 1848 are on findmypast under the Diocese of Lichfield.
You could do a general search for 'White' in Duffield, and other surrounding places.
I see in the Staffordshire Names Index (which unfortunately only goes up to 1790 at the moment), there is a will for a William White in Duffield 1776, and another in Shottle, Duffield in 1770. A bit early I realise, but there may be others on findmypast later than that.
What about Daniel Revel? Did he leave a will, or his father or grandfather? Perhaps they mention his wife or her family. You never know what might might turn up in wills.

Just some ideas to think about.
Good luck
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 September 20 13:46 BST (UK) »
Looks to me that Ruth Stenson may be a sister of Margaret.

1851 she is living in Notts with husband Thomas and born c 1799 Duffield.

F/S has a Ruth WHITE/Thomas STENSON Marriage 19 August 1816 Duffield

1841 Census
Basford, Notts
Thomas Stenson 45 Shoemaker
Ruth Stenson   40
Samuel Stenson   15 Stocking Maker

Death Reg;
STENSON, RUTH age    52 
GRO Reference: 1852  M Quarter in BASFORD  Volume 07B  Page 67

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 September 20 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Goldie61 and Trish

I can only see one reply button as your posts came in at almost the same time. First of all Goldie, thank you so much for suggesting all those avenues to search and things to bear in mind. I will provide a comprehensive answer for anyone reading this message trail in the future, once I have had time to research more fully. I am used to going to my local LDS Church for my brick wall queries as they have such a wealth of experience among the people who run their family history afternoons and have managed to unearth things online that my home resources fail to pinpoint. Of course their computer room is closed currently due to the Covid pandemic.

Secondly Trish, yes I am so glad you found that too. I have looked at the Duffield marriage of Ruth White to Thomas Stenson in 1816 and wondered how she might be connected to my Margaret White, one of their witnesses was Eliza Mayblin/Mablin; a Ruth Mablin married a Joseph White in Duffield in 1778 and DNA suggests I may be linked to some of his descendants. Samuel the only child of Ruth and Thomas Stenson (that I can find) was baptised at St Alkmunds Derby 6 Oct 1824 and his second marriage as a widower was to Ruth Revell the daughter of Margaret Revell nee White. If Ruth White and Margaret White were sisters this would mean that full cousins married which was legal but unusual. Ruth born around 1799 and Margaret 1796 could be cousins and not sisters. O what a tangled web our ancestors weave.

Many many thanks to all you knowledgable helpers out there.

Felix

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 September 20 09:04 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry we could'nt be more help Felix.
If only Bapts were able to be found.

Yes I pegged the Joseph White/Ruth Mabin Marriage as a possible also.

Also a Joseph White was buried 15 Nov 1829 Duffield age 43 (1786)
He may have been the 1820 Marriage witness.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)