Author Topic: 27 Maxwellton Road, Paisley  (Read 1077 times)

Offline swanl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
27 Maxwellton Road, Paisley
« on: Sunday 06 September 20 00:49 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my Grandmother's history.  The last address I have for her in 1926 was 27 Maxwellton Road, Paisley which seems to be right in the middle of the old Coates factory area, so it seems to be unlikely this was normal housing.  Does anyone know what was at this address? 

The other connection I have is Bertram Parsons (a motor engineer) Annie Parsons and newborn son Gerald, all at the same address. Can't find any trace of them anywhere else.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: 27 Maxwellton Road, Paisley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 20 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

Scotlandspeople has -
Marriage , Bertram Ralph Parsons / Annie Malcolmson , 1920 Paisley Renfrew.

Norman Malcolmson , house and garden , 27 Maxwellton Road Paisley
1925 Valuation Roll 006600111.
Also there in 1930.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 September 20 07:21 BST (UK) »
Maybe ?

PARSONS BERTRAM RALPH : Service Number - W243424 : Date of birth - 03 Mar 1892 : Place of birth - CHORLTON ENG : Place of enlistment - PERTH WA : Next of Kin - PARSONS GERALD
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=6498663&isAv=N

ev

Added-
BERTRAM RALPH PARSONS
Karrakatta Burial
Aged   49   Date of Death   29/03/1942

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2249263/BERTRAM%20RALPH%20PARSONS/
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 20 07:41 BST (UK) »
Could be Bertram , Annie and Gerald going to Fremantle Western Australia in 1926.
Gerald born Poole Dorset England in 1924 ?

ev

Offline AngelaC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 September 20 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you look for Maxwellton Road, Paisley on Google Maps, you'll see that it has undergone extensive modernisation and that there is now a school in the area where your ancestors used to live. However, if you move along the road to nos. 50, 52 and 54, you'll see the types of cottages and tenements that used to line the road. At least it gives you some idea of what the area used to look like.
I haven't lived in Paisley for several decades but, as I remember, the Coates factories were behind the Watermill Hotel on the River Cart, not on or near Maxwellton Road.
Hope this helps.

Happy hunting
Angela
Adams, Bamber, Cleverley, Earwaker, Frake, Holt, Lacy, Laming, Levett, Lipscomb(e), Newlyn, Pett, Smith (Hampshire); Hill (Alverstoke and Middlesex); Holt (Dorset); Lacy (London, Kent)

Offline swanl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 September 20 17:39 BST (UK) »
Could be Bertram , Annie and son going to Fremantle Western Australia in 1926.
Son born Poole Dorset England in 1924 ?

ev

Yes - that's them.  And my grandmother (Margaret Henderson) went with them, aged 13 (just below them on that list).  But I have no idea who they are or why she was travelling with them!  They're not relatives.

But the son's birthplace is new info - thank you!

Offline swanl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 September 20 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

Scotlandspeople has -
Marriage , Bertram Ralph Parsons / Annie Malcolmson , 1920 Paisley Renfrew.

Norman Malcolmson , house and garden , 27 Maxwellton Road Paisley
1925 Valuation Roll 006600111.
Also there in 1930.

ev

Ahhh!!!  Bingo!  My Grandmother is Margaret Henderson Malcolmson.  Annie is not on my tree - I'll have to track her down.

Many, many thanks!!

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 September 20 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you look for Maxwellton Road, Paisley on Google Maps, you'll see that it has undergone extensive modernisation and that there is now a school in the area where your ancestors used to live. However, if you move along the road to nos. 50, 52 and 54, you'll see the types of cottages and tenements that used to line the road. At least it gives you some idea of what the area used to look like.
I haven't lived in Paisley for several decades but, as I remember, the Coates factories were behind the Watermill Hotel on the River Cart, not on or near Maxwellton Road.
Hope this helps.

Happy hunting
Angela

Hi

The mill (Anchor Mill) behind the Watermill is still standing and has been converted into flats. There was a mill j(Ferguslie Mill) just along from Maxwelton but that was demolished in the 70s or 80s.
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 September 20 05:05 BST (UK) »
Connected thread Re: Bertram Ralph Parsons / Annie Malcolmson to WA 1926.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=837125.msg7024247#msg7024247