Author Topic: Views on chromosome matches on MH  (Read 322 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Views on chromosome matches on MH
« on: Sunday 06 September 20 10:13 BST (UK) »
I wonder if fellow Chatters could give their views on the attached chromosome browser screenshot from MH. The first four bars are known, as follows.

1st/pink half 3C
2nd/orange 5C
3rd/yellow & 4th/green 6C (2C to each other)

The last three are a mystery to me but at least have trees in the same geography as the first four. I'm erring towards thinking no. 5 could be another 6C, but the last two further back again. Or could we have a complete random chance shared chromosome situation here?

Any words of wisdom to help the digging would be much appreciated.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Views on chromosome matches on MH
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 20 10:45 BST (UK) »
I think it would be useful to say how long each match is.

If the last two are small say less than 7cM  I would not pursue them as possibly they are the result of coincidence not a blood match. (But others may have a different view)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 September 20 11:18 BST (UK) »
Good point. The cMs (rounded up/down) and segments are as follows. The largest segments are all on the same chromosome.

1 54/5 (largest 26)
2 46/2 (largest 23)
3 20/1 (largest 21)
4 34/3 (largest 21)
5 24/2 (largest 18)
6 26/2 (largest 14)
7 18/2 (largest 12)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 20 11:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.

Seeing as the last two are a decent size i do think they are bona fide blood matches and worth pursuing. Guess its drawing up speculative trees time if you have enough information, or can persuade the other matches to provide it.  Although i know from experience how hit and miss that can be.

Good luck
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 September 20 16:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the interest and the luck, which I'll need. The trees so far show a possible link via NPE for no. 5 - right time and location. Also a possible NPE link for no. 6 (timing ok, location not so good but not impossible). But no. 7 throws the spanner in the works. There are several other matches in their line, all descending from common ancestors who emigrated and so the link is probably before that - but they're from another part of the county with no recognisable names or (obvious) links to our ancestors. However, nos. 5 & 6 do have strong links back to this part of the county, and with shared names.

And so I'm beginning to wonder if it's our line that has the NPE somewhere, not theirs.  ??? ???