Author Topic: Worrall Family  (Read 693 times)

Offline B Daniel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Worrall Family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 September 20 20:23 BST (UK) »
I did look at one but might investigate that venue a little deeper.  That is a good idea. I have tried different spellings but no luck there either so far.   I have also been trying to get info from one of the churches there but the issue is that in 1877 there was a fire that burned the city down so some things are lost.  Thanks so much for your suggestions!  I continue to search for this.  :)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Worrall Family
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 September 20 00:25 BST (UK) »
You're welcome, B Daniel. If I can get a good picture of where exactly you've already looked, then perhaps I (and hopefully others) will be able to come up with some other suggestions.

Sometimes you have to go really wide and look at everything you can find on every other person with that surname in the same city or subdivision, in the right time frame, just in case someone you're looking for is also named in that record (a witness to a baptism or marriage, for example, or a beneficiary in the will of a previously unknown relative).

Before (and after) the census records were a) online and then b) indexed, I spent hours going page by page through certain towns and cities in Charlotte County, New Brunswick and Maine (mostly Calais and thereabouts). I was building family trees, going backwards and forwards, and looking for other relatives who might have been listed with known relatives, etc.

Even now, indexes and search engines are not perfect. If I know the date of someone's death but can't find an obit in a newspaper that's been digitized and put online, I'll go through the paper page by page, for two weeks, starting with the day the person died -- and I've often found what I've been looking for (although not always).

Have you checked the Internet Archive, in case your Worralls might have been mentioned in a book about Saint John, or Nova Scotia, or perhaps about the Worralls themselves? It might also be a good idea to check Mary Jane's married surname. You never know where you might find that one clue that will enable you to break that brick wall.

Yes, I remember visiting a museum in Saint John as a teenager and seeing a big display about that fire.

It's been ages since I've looked at my husband's Nova Scotia side of the family but I know it's really hard (if not impossible) to find early records for people there, too.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters