Author Topic: Laxton Dead End.  (Read 528 times)

Offline Derek C Goodwin

• RootsChat Member
  • The question is only easy if you know the answer!
    • View Profile
Laxton Dead End.
« on: Sunday 06 September 20 19:47 BST (UK) »
I have hit a solid wall and am appealing for help with:-

Thomas Sullivan 1782-1826.

All events take place in Laxton Northamptonshire with the exception of his baptism. Where did he come from? Who were his parents?

Thomas Sullivan Born 1782 (gleaned from mariage and death documents). (no baptism at Laxton).

Married Elizabeth Bishop 8 FEb 1803 Laxton Northamptonshire. Both of this parish on bans etc.
Witnessed by Chales Hay and Thomas Deal.

4 children:-
Ruth Sullivan 1804-1821 (named after Elizabeth Bishops mother imo).
Robert Sullivan 1806-1819 (Robert is Elizabeths fathers name too).
Susannah Sullivan 1808-1875 (My ancestor). Married Thomas Hercock 1831 Laxton.
Thomas Sullivan 1810-1811.

Thomas was witness to a trial in July 1825 in which he said "I live at Laxton my house is in Mr Evans park, I am his servant, my house is close to the road". (This is Laxton Hall I believe).

Thomas died Jan 1826 and is buried at Laxton church Northamptonshire.

I feel there is more to be found in this line and perhaps fresh eyes might be able to help me?

(I have taken photos of a good few headstones at Laxton, Milleys, Woolsons, Hercocks, Hircocks, Baxter, Horsepool / Horspool and Harecock which anyone is welcome to, just message me).

Kind regards in advance.

Derek C Goodwin.
Leicestershire: Inglesant. Ryder. Rider. Walford. Massey. Daykin/Daikin. Newbold/Newball. Hammonds.
Great Yarmouth: Gage/Gedge. Ives. Feasley. Peartree. Royall.
Northampton, Laxton Kings Cliffe. Hercock, Heircock. Harecock. Pointon. Baxter. Burfield.
And anyone else who knows me it would seem ;-)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Laxton Dead End.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 20 20:50 BST (UK) »
Derek -- my first thought (which may be rubbish of course!) -- is that Sullivan or O'Sullivan is very much and Irish name. It makes me wonder whether Thomas - or Thomas and family, came over from Ireland.

Have you tried looking for burials at Laxton for the surname Sullivan - just in case his parents were buried there?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Derek C Goodwin

• RootsChat Member
  • The question is only easy if you know the answer!
    • View Profile
Re: Laxton Dead End.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 September 20 21:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, I first thought Irish, but then during my searching there are a surprising number of Sullivans/Sullevans etc from Scotland! Yes I checked the burials in Laxton.

Derek -- my first thought (which may be rubbish of course!) -- is that Sullivan or O'Sullivan is very much and Irish name. It makes me wonder whether Thomas - or Thomas and family, came over from Ireland.

Have you tried looking for burials at Laxton for the surname Sullivan - just in case his parents were buried there?
Leicestershire: Inglesant. Ryder. Rider. Walford. Massey. Daykin/Daikin. Newbold/Newball. Hammonds.
Great Yarmouth: Gage/Gedge. Ives. Feasley. Peartree. Royall.
Northampton, Laxton Kings Cliffe. Hercock, Heircock. Harecock. Pointon. Baxter. Burfield.
And anyone else who knows me it would seem ;-)