Author Topic: Westminster images disappeared from FindMyPast?  (Read 476 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Westminster images disappeared from FindMyPast?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 12:17 BST (UK) »
It wasn't me Jonw65
cuffie81 supplied the info :-)

Boo

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 12:18 BST (UK) »
Can anyone shed light on the story behind this movement of the Westminster material from FindMyPast to Ancestry?

Word on the street (unverified) is that FindMyPastís contract ran out, and Ancestry outbid them for renewal, offering re-digitisation from the originals rather than from the films, many of which are very poor. (FindMyPast are currently far more interested in providing US records, to support their pitch into that market.)

The problem is that Ancestry will take their time uploading the Westminster images, probably mistranscribing many of them, grouping them illogically, and labelling them incorrectly, if past performance with the LMA records is anything to go by.

Meanwhile, we have lost online access to many Westminster parishes, rate books, early poor law administration records etc. So anyone who subscribed to FindMyPast specifically for the Westminster records is probably justified in complaining to them (for all the good it will do).

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 12:31 BST (UK) »
cuffie81 supplied the info :-)

Oh, my goodness. So sorry, thank you cuffie! :)
(And thanks for telling me, Boo)
John

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for the responses to my question.

Word on the street (unverified) is that FindMyPastís contract ran out, and Ancestry outbid them for renewal, offering re-digitisation from the originals rather than from the films, many of which are very poor.

Just thinking aloud here, but I can't imagine that CWA would have entertained any kind of bid from FindMyPast for renewal.  Why would they do business with FindMyPast when FindMyPast have had their records since 2012 and put only a fraction online?  (And been as grudging and dismissive on the subject to customers as they could possibly be.  All enquiries to FindMyPast over actually posting the advertised records were met with ...in the coming months.)

Generally, I'm still hopeful that in time this move will prove to be a step forward, although the loss of St Margaret's is deeply saddening.