Author Topic: Westminster images disappeared from FindMyPast?  (Read 1980 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Westminster images disappeared from FindMyPast?
« on: Sunday 06 September 20 23:15 BST (UK) »
I just went back to have another look at a marriage in Jan 1851 and all I can find is a transcript, but the full image used to be there.  It was at St Pauls in Knightsbridge.

Does FindMyPast no longer have the rights?  Are they available anywhere else?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Westminster images disappeared from FindMyPast?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 20 23:30 BST (UK) »
They have been on ancestry since 30 July this year.
In the usual format, 4 databases
Westminster, London, England
Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1558-1812
Marriages and Banns, 1754-1935
Births and Baptisms, 1813-1919
Deaths and Burials, 1812-1910
(got it right now!)

They have filmed the registers themselves. Findmypast had microfilm images, shame if they've gone though.
John

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 September 20 23:40 BST (UK) »
I've had a look there and think they've missed this particular parish.

St Paul, Wilton Place, Knightsbridge

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 20 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes, you appear to be right. Also no St Paul Covent Garden! There seems to be a rather more limited list on ancestry at the moment. Hopefully they will update it, and add more parishes?

Though I don't subscribe, I can also see what you mean about the loss of images on findmypast, there is now only an icon to "view transcript"
Findmypast have added images of Surrey parish registers fairly recently, and yet they are still on ancestry as well, so this Westminster news is disappointing. Let's hope they come back!
John

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 06:22 BST (UK) »
Can anyone shed light on the story behind this movement of the Westminster material from FindMyPast to Ancestry?

I can well understand CWA being frustrated with FindMyPast's handling of their records; so, while it is annoying for individuals to no longer have them under a subscription to FindMyPast, it is wonderful news that they have been taken away.

Now we may actually see the records which FindMyPast has steadfastly refused to publish in the eight and a half years since their Westminster Collection announcement in March 2012.  That they are superior images is a bonus.

The attached screen dump was made in February 2015 but accurately reflects FindMyPast's Westminster Collection promotion from March 2012 inclusive.  Note the breadth of records promised to be published in the coming months.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 09:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for pointing out the scale of the disaster (I say that as a non subscriber to FindMyPast!)
Not just the parish registers, but all images from Westminster archives seem to be gone

Including all the poor law records images
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/westminster-poor-law-and-parish-administration

They had the St Martin in the Fields workhouse admissions, but I don't think they had done the settlement books

Rate book images all gone
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/westminster-rate-books-1634-1900

True they were a mess, and you didn't always know exactly what you were looking at, with no real means of navigating to the beginning of the book. But nice to have them!

Now will all this stuff be appearing on ancestry any time soon? :-\

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 10:02 BST (UK) »
Westminster Archives have a post about the move from FindMyPast to Anc. on their Facebook page.

August 6th, 2020
Last week we announced that the Baptism, Marriage and Burial records of the Westminster churches are now available to view exclusively on Ancestry.

The registers are packed full of historically important events, such as the baptism of Charles II, the marriage of American President Theodore Roosevelt, and the marriage of author George Eliot.

Family historians around the world will be able to access records of their Westminster ancestors, tracing back to the mid-1500s, long before the government began the registration of births, marriages and deaths.

The records provide access to over 4 million names which are fully searchable through the Ancestry website. These collections are a treasure trove for all genealogists, and will be soon followed by some of our never before published collections.

Ancestry have kindly granted those without an account free access to search the indexes of the Westminster collections for the month of August. Just follow this link to get started!

Full access to Ancestry is available in all our libraries or at the Archives Centre through our PCs or via your own device using our free Wifi. Please check our website for current opening hours and access arrangements as the current offer at each site is slightly different at the moment.

https://www.facebook.com/Westminster.Archives/posts/3014295065332808

And in the comments they're asked about the records on FindMyPast. No mention of the records that were available on FindMyPast but are missing on Anc. though.

Q Are these the same ones which are available on Findmypast?
A These records were previously available on Find My Past and are now exclusively on Ancestry. The only exception are the records of St Margaret's which are no longer available online. On Ancestry you will find colour images as the records have all been re-photographed to the highest quality, and we will be releasing more records over the coming months which have never before been published, such as our collection of cemetery registers.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 10:52 BST (UK) »
I just went back to have another look at a marriage in Jan 1851 and all I can find is a transcript, but the full image used to be there.  It was at St Pauls in Knightsbridge.

Does FindMyPast no longer have the rights?  Are they available anywhere else?

Have you asked them why the images are no longer there?

Boo

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for finding that, Boo.
Very interesting reading. Sad about the St Margaret's records. We will watch with interest to see what new records come on ancestry. Hanwell Cemetery burial registers had been on FindMyPast I think.

Polite request to ancestry's technicians when filming (or do they farm it out?)
Please turn one page over at a time, you don't want to miss any :)