Author Topic: New ethnicity splits on Ancestry  (Read 4720 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New ethnicity splits on Ancestry
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 September 20 13:48 BST (UK) »
What ethnicities does you tree suggest, David?

Basically my paternal side is all northern England i.e Northumberland, Durham and North Yorkshire. I see that Ancestry are including Northumberland and Durham in their idea of Scotland so i guess that could account for why they have given me 22% Scottish (and yes i guess some of them could have migrated from Scotland at some point).

My maternal side is pretty well spread over southern England so could account for a large part of the 64% England they have given me.

Actually having looked at it a little further and clicking on the percentages to see the maps of the areas to match the descriptions is quite illuminating and not always what you would expect
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 September 20 13:49 BST (UK) »
I suddenly have as much as 25% from Scotland despite only having one Scottish gg-grandparent (well, she was 1st generation American but of Scots-Irish blood). Perhaps her genes were extra strong!

Have lost my traces of Swedish - so much for distant Viking heritage.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 September 20 13:54 BST (UK) »
I've now got 20% Scottish and 3% Welsh with the split. This is hard to reconcile with what I know of my ancestry over the past 500 years with no ancestor identified from North of Birmingham/Walsall!

In contrast myHeritage has me as 36.4% Scandanavian cf Ancestry's 3% Swedish

My wife has gone from 97% English and 3% Swedish to 82% and 10% with 8% Scottish appearing from nowhere

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 September 20 14:06 BST (UK) »
Whoopee! I'm a Viking again  ;D

When I first got my DNA results, I had quite a bit of Scandinavian, then on the next update it all disappeared, and now it's back again.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 September 20 14:43 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry I'm now
72% England / NW Europe ( Central Southern England - Hampshire and Isle of Wight)
11% Scottish
6% Irish
6% Norwegian
5% Swedish

But on My Heritage
50 % English
15 % N W Europe
18% Scandinavian
16% Eastern European
1% Melanesian

Paternal grandfather - Berks / Oxon
Paternal grandmother - half from Sussex - half from Channel Isles
Maternal grandfather - Hampshire
Maternal grandmother - Yorkshire

Scandinavian could come from both Yorkshire and Channel Islands, but surprised such a high level considering it was zero on previous iteration.
I had a Scottish ancestor who settled in Channel Islands and married an islander so explains a bit of the Scottish
Irish - haven't a clue unless it is my unknown 3 x great grandfather or he might be the Eastern European who pops up in My Heritage.

My 2C1R who has 1/8 from Hampshire (half from the same line as my quarter) has no English at all according to MH. But it did confirm what had been suspected about the nationality of his father.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 September 20 15:07 BST (UK) »
MH says I have no English, despite 15 of my 16 gg-grandparents being English! They are very keen on  giving everyone a good chunk of Scandinavian.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 September 20 15:20 BST (UK) »
Interesting how it works for some and not others. Ancestry's second iteration for me almost matched my tree exactly - but this third one is way off. Now MH is more accurate, although both have the Scandinavian element - could this be right? Oh, look at me falling into the ethnicity trap.

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 11 September 20 15:42 BST (UK) »
I have had 4 different estimates, since first test results in April 18 - then it was 88% Ireland/Scotland/Wales, the other 12 % being east Europe/West Europe/GB/Scandinavia/Finland & Russia & South Asian (<1%).

In May 2019 I was 100% Ireland Scotland.

My next upgrade (don't have the date to hand) I was 96% Irish/Scottish the other 4 being variations on the same theme, Northern Ireland/ Western Scotland, etc., including ?? Cumbria.

Finally today I am 79 % Irish, 21% Scottish, with the areas involved being the same as before, Connacht (Galway/Connemara), Donegal (esp. Inishowen), Northern Ireland/ Southwest Scotland and Western Scotland etc, with the inclusion of Brittany somewhere there too.  However, they all indicate what is true, as far as we are aware, we are of very nearly 100% Irish origin, though in Scotland in some cases for 200 years, and much of the origin in Ireland being from places in the north, from which people travelled back and  forth to the south and west of Scotland for a millennium. So it is  likely impossible to distinguish between the people in these areas of Ireland & Scotland, anyway.

So for me, the different ethnicity estimates have always been pretty close to what we thought, basically Irish with a wee bit of 'Scottish incomers' to Ireland in the north, probably, and then everyone transferring over to Scotland, just to confuse things a wee bit more! However how accurate they are for everyone else, well thats for everyone else to say.
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 11 September 20 16:19 BST (UK) »
For me I can compare with my mother's update and paternal aunt s

So Im still 56 percent Scottish .mostly my fathers side but my mother had a Scottish great great grandmother

She is now 38 percent welsh which makes sense as the liverpool  3 cheshire grandparents had origins there
22 percent English from the other grandparent

My scottish aunt has 5 percent English
She.ll be pleased with that as thinks of herself as pure Scot

But I dont understand how I am less English than either of them ...
2 percent !!

Thats a number I would normally ignore

Im 2 ,percent Italian too..where from ..Id like my viking percentage back please

Im more Irish than English .., no known ancestors from there

Everything else tallies
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson