Author Topic: New ethnicity splits on Ancestry  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New ethnicity splits on Ancestry
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 12 September 20 11:04 BST (UK) »

I’m now 45% Welsh!

My English has gone down, but my Irish and Scottish has gone up...

And I’ve lost my German, but my Ashkenazi Jewish DNA has gone up to 9%. I know that’s from my Paternal side, but I have no idea how far back that might be. One Great Grandparent, possibly?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

guest189040

« Reply #28 on: Saturday 12 September 20 11:57 BST (UK) »

So many who take an Ancestry DNA do not seem to generate any Tree at all, and even if they created a tree offline what is the point, there needs to be a comparison to prove parentage or lineage.  If they do not generate a tree they will not easily find a Family tree to which they belong.

I have one trio of matches, a Father and two Daughters which would meet comparison criteria, none of my other 360+ matches remotely look like siblings or parent and offspring.

A one off DNA test in isolation will only show estimate of ethnicity and even then what Ancestry actually show and say have a very, very wide margin for error.

Many of us who took the DNA test a few years ago have seen a vast change in what Ancestry reports by way of ethnicity.  Hence if someone say in my matches took a test a year ago then failed to follow updates then what their test would report today may very well be considerably different to what it was when they first got the results.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 13 September 20 08:29 BST (UK) »
Romily if you have one great grandfather like myself who is European Jewish
Their may have migrated during programs around 1890s

Heres a quick experiment you can do .
Put Russia into the search option for locations of shared matches

See how many matches you get even small ones
Then try Poland Ukraine Latvia
Some people don't know origins
But take a look at ethnicity of some of your unknown matches you'll probably find some names or variations of names which keep coming up .
Where were your known great grandparents located ? Was it towns with synagogues ??
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 13 September 20 13:57 BST (UK) »
Brigidmac, - the problem is that I don’t know:-(

My paternal grandfather was born in Manchester in 1860, and I’m assuming that the Ashkenazi Jewish DNA comes from his mother, but I have no names or dates...

I’ll try the steps that you suggest, - thanks.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 14 September 20 12:08 BST (UK) »
I notice that the banner re updated ethnicity results is still there across the DNA pages.  Is there some more updating to come does anyone know?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 14 September 20 19:46 BST (UK) »
The banner on mine has changed to say 'We've updated...' in the past tense. One day, might we see 'We've added a chromosome browser'? No? Ah well.

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 09:05 BST (UK) »
Ouch Aye, I’m now 12% Scottish and my wife 27% - neither obvious. Couldn’t Ancestry have identified the tartan which goes with it? Clearly the next step!
My Irish (which I could explain)has gone from 5% to 3% to 0% while my German has gone from 0% to 11% to 15%. They’re taking us over after all!
My wife’s German (again which I could explain) has gone from 5% to 2% Norwegian to 2% Swedish. (I ‘m looking forward to the Inuit percentage next time ...)
To be fair they have singled out meaningful significant regions for both of us.

Phil

The science of ethnicity is matched only by the science of lockdown.
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 10:14 BST (UK) »
I'm fairly confident in my paper trail and it shows English (southern) 75% and Scottish 25%. My previous Ancestry split was Scottish 33%, English 60% abd a few small others, which I thought pretty accurate. I've now gone to Scottish 52% - I can only assume that a lot more distant cousins from the Scots side have taken tests.
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 17:08 BST (UK) »
I was 83% english and 17% irish

Now I am 59% english, 6% irish and 35% scottish

Very surprised about the scottish part, but it gives evidence to my theory that my family the Steeles were from the lowlands in dumfrieshire