Author Topic: Interpreting court notice  (Read 413 times)

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Houghton - Lancashire, inc. Manchester
Robertson - Angus
Collinge - Yorkshire, Lancashire, USA
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Interpreting court notice
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 September 20 10:57 BST (UK) »
I think the plantiff is listed first, as in "People vs John Doe", but I'm not sure.
Can you post their names, what columns they are in, and how far down the column? Or screen clip their entries.
Someone (or you) might find another article in the paper about the cases.

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 September 20 11:17 BST (UK) »
Good point. I've attached a screen grab of the relevant entry here. Thanks for looking.
Robertson - Angus
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 September 20 11:18 BST (UK) »
I should also add, all this is in Rochester, NY
Robertson - Angus
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 September 20 11:36 BST (UK) »
One of the names cropped up here. Could it be the same person -

Star-Gazette Elmira, New York 19 Oct 1929, Sat    Page 11

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/58813144/sydney-collinge-19-october-1929/

Is this the family ? Rochester Ward 20, Monroe 1925

Jonathan Collinge   38
Hannah Collinge   40
Lellian Collinge   17
Sidney Collinge   15 born England.
Rennie Collinge   14
Frank Collinge   10

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 September 20 13:31 BST (UK) »
When I looked for Dugliese somewhere, Google suggested Pugilese instead.
There are a few hits at fultonhistory.com for Carmina Pugilese, including a case against the executor of her will. That one called her Carmela Pugilese, sometimes known as Carmina Pugilese.
Searching for Carmela Pugliese found this. The date looks like about December 1924--the top of the paper is cut off in the image.

Executions issued
Carmela Pugliese in favor of Jonathan Collinge, $44.08
Carmela Pugliese in favor of Sidney Collinge, infant, $424.63

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01pvg/

Infant does not mean "babe in arms". I don't know exactly the legal usage, but Sidney was under age. So your family won the case.

-------
She was a grocer.
1924 Rochester City Directory
Howard F Barnes (Myrtle), lawyer 301 Powers Building, home 445 Flower City pk
Anna S Collinge, tailoress, h 273 Wilder
Carmina Pugliese (widow of Donato) grocer at 293 Orange
Leon Pugliese (K Pk) resides 293 Orange

So she probably owned a store. In 1925 both Jonathan and Sidney Collinge were painters. Maybe they did some work for her and didn't get paid. ??
And in 1928, in County Court, she is the defendant in a complaint for foreclosure of a mortgage. So she owned property. Again, maybe they painted at one of her homes and weren't paid.

I didn't keep that link, but it shows up when you look for her as Carmina or Carmela, I forget which.

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 September 20 17:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. It's a relief that the earlier case was with the Collinges as plaintiff, though it's piqued my interest to know more about the case.

As for Sydney, we knew he was deported back to England (which is why I'm here now), but it's somehow chilling to see him being moved between penal institutions.

Frustratingly, we still don't know why he was deported! All we have is the assurance from my uncle that he "didn't really do anything" and "got caught up in the wrong crowd".

I've had a look into the New York State Reformatory and it sounds like quite a progressive institution, which is a comfort. And they have oodles of records at the state archives, so that's something for when I'm allowed out there.
Robertson - Angus
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 September 20 21:44 BST (UK) »
OK - so what you're looking at is a cause list (i.e. a list of the cases which are to be heard on that day) for the City Court.

Sydney Collinge is the plaintiff (i.e. the party bringing the case ... or "claimant" in modern English legal parlance) and Carmina Dugliese is the Defendant.

Sydney Collinge is a minor, so he cannot bring the proceedings himself. He has to have a guardian acting on his behalf (in traditional English legal parlance, which may well have been adopted in New York state, the full expression is "guardian an litem" ... a person of full capacity who acts on his behalf and in his name)

Again, in English law (I don't know about New York) a guardian ad litem MUST act through a solicitor ... they cannot be a "litigant in person" ... so that they have proper legal advice on the prosecution of the minor's case on their behalf.

In New York they do not have the English division of the legal profession into two branches (solicitors and barristers) ... they just have attorneys.

The attorney acting for Sydney Collinge was Howard Barnes.

Hope this helps.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 September 20 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi mrcakey, Sidney was sent back to England from New York City on the Cedric, arriving Liverpool, Nov. 18, 1929. His "proposed address" on the passenger list was Straits Lane, Read, Lancs. His occupation was printer.

In some ways, Sidney's situation may have been a blessing in disguise: On the newspaper page with the item about Sidney, I noticed stock market tables from the New York Stock Exchange. Some of the shares were trading at $200 per share (about $3000 per share in today's money). A week later the stock market crashed, and the Great Depression began.

Ancest*y has some prison records from New York State, but the Elmira Reformatory isn't among them, probably because of the age of those sent there. You are also correct about the New York State Archives: many records, but the many Elmira Reformatory records there are not searchable, probably because of age restrictions, too.

But never say never. You might try emailing the Reference Services people at the Archives: archref@nysed.gov  The Archives' website says that they are reopening. FYI: Nysed in the email adress refers to the New York State Education Department, of which the Archives is part.

You also might want to read the Archives' info on inmate records beforehand. http://www.archives.nysed.gov/researchinfo/res_tips_023_prison_inmates.shtml
There are inmate age limitations on the release of information, but if you mention that Sidney Collinge was born 1909 (according to the Cedric's passenger list), that should not be problem.

Regards,
johnnyboy
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts