Author Topic: Edward Rees yeoman and Ann Rees Llangurig 1825  (Read 1280 times)

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Rees yeoman and Ann Rees Llangurig 1825
« on: Monday 07 September 20 18:16 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate any advice that would help me establish the relationship (if any) between Edward Rees, yeoman and Ann Rees, wife of Edward Rees, schoolmaster and parish clerk of Llangurig.   

In truth I am trying to guess what could have occurred between them to cause the following court hearings!!  An angry landlord and poor tenants that struggled to pay the rent???  (Just a guess...)

The Montgomeryshire Quarter Sessions 1820 - 1829 (on line) include the following:

Order-peace. [1825E23]Edward Rees of pa. Llangurig, yeoman, was bound with sureties in a recognizance to appear at this Q.S. to keep the peace towards Ann wife of Edward Rees of Wenallt in pa. Llangurig. No indictment having been preferred, motion that said Edward Rees, yeoman, and his sureties be discharged from recognizance. T.E. Marsh, attorney.
Order.Recognizance discharged, no bill of indictment having been preferred against him.

Recognizance-peace. [1825E69]
11 April 1825. Edward Rees of pa. Llangurig, yeoman, in £20; Richard Edward of the same, farmer, and Richard Rees of pa. Llanidloes, farmer, each in £10. Taken before George Meares for the said Edward Rees to appear at the next Q.S. and keep the peace especially towards Ann wife of Edward Rees of Wenallt. At the foot: Appeared.

I cannot find any relevant newspaper articles.

Edward Rees (b. 1794) and his wife Ann lived at Wenallt, Llangurig when their son Edward Rees (b.1824) was born.  This is my family line.

Edward Rees (b.1794)'s father was also called Edward Rees and a parish clerk - which I think was a low paid occupation.  So I do not think he is "Edward Rees, yeoman". 

Richard Rees put up "bail money" for Edward Rees, yeoman - and I have found baptisms for a Richard (b.1785) and an Edward (b.1783) to an Edward and a Margaret Rees.  But I do not think there was money in this family for this to be Edward the yeoman, given their father's occupation is labourer and then weaver. 

"Edward Rees" seems to be such a common name in Llangurig!  It would be interesting if the yeoman and the schoolmaster/parish clerk were even distantly related.

Any ideas?

Woodmancote:  Hobbs; Davison
Bisley:  Fisher
Eastcombe:  Winstone
Chalford:  Lambert
Newent:  Bowkett
Llangurig: Owen; Jones
Llangurig & Bedlinog: Rees
Llanonn: Williams
Charfield:  Fowler; Selman
Olveston:  Fisher
Batheaston: Fisher
Andover, Hurstbourne, Woodcutt, Shinfield: Farmer & Tanner
Alresford: Sprangle; Hack
Martletwy & Llangwig:  Davies

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Rees yeoman and Ann Rees Llangurig 1825
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 09:02 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry which has the marriage certificate of Edward, b 1825, son of Edward Rees, schoolmaster.

It has him born 1795 in Llangurig, son of Edward Rees, 1771-1847, and Jemmima Owen, 1774-1842.

He died in 1861 and there is a picture of his grave.

David

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 09:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks David.

The dates are not quite right in that family tree but that is my family.  I've seen where they are buried too. 

The schoolmaster was also a parish clerk.  His father was a clerk too. 

I am looking for an Edward Rees yeoman - probably related to a Richard Rees.  There are no Richard Reeses that i am aware of in my family.

Thanks for your interest and reply.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 10:32 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this helps, but there was a family of farmers who might fit the description of those mentioned in the document.

A Richard Rees of Caeryfedaw (Caenfedw), Llangurig, died in 1824 and left a will in which he named his sons Edward Rees, Evan Rees and Richard Rees. Caenfedw is nearer to Llanidloes than to Llangurig, which might account for Richard's abode.

This is the will - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pvh/

David

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 11:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  This certainly looks like a possibility worth looking into.

At the time of the incident prior to Easter 1825, (something must have happened) Edward (1794-1861), the schoolmaster and Ann Rees probably lived at Wenallt, Llangurig.  That was their abode when their first son Edward was baptised in October 1824. 

Schoolmaster Edward's father, Edward Rees (1771-1847) was also the parish clerk at Llangurig.  And on a blank page in a Llangurig parish register is the signature of yet another Edward Rees with the date 1768 and some subtractions, as if he were trying to calculate ages at death or something!  So I reckon this is a real parish clerk literate Llangurig family!!

According to the 1841 census, Edward and Ann had a daughter, Anne (b. abt 1828), who was not baptised in Llangurig.

I note from Freereg that
Ann Rees (parents Edward and Ann) was baptised in Llanidloes on 25 June 1826. 
Ann Rees aged 1 was buried at Llanidloes on 25 March 1828. 
Ann Rees was baptised on 29 June 1828 in Llanidloes, parents Edward and Ann.

I am wondering whether this is "my" family of course.

I would be interested to know whether the actual parish register gives any more details e.g. occupation or abode - I have not been able to access that.

Their subsequent children (from 1830) were baptised in Llangurig.  And a newspaper notice following his death in 1861 described him as "schoolmaster and parish clerk for the above named parish for nearly 30 years.  He was a useful and valuable person and his place cannot easily be filled."  So nice people.

My best educated guess is that the family moved to Llanidloes parish for a few years after "the incident".  And that Edward the yeoman was their landlord.  I feel like a detective!!

Any further comments would be gratefully received!!!

Many thanks again for your help and interest.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 12:04 BST (UK) »
The father of Ann in Llanidloes in 1826 was a weaver of Llanidloes Town.

The father of Ann in 1828 was a schoolmaster of Llanidloes Town.

The burial in 1828 just has the abode of Llanidloes Town

Richard Rees, born 1752, of Caeynyfedw (Caenfedw), Llangurig, was buried in Llanidloes on 11th July 1824.

David

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 12:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that David - the detail is much appreciated.

I have been reading the Richard Rees will.  No mention of land unfortunately or of Edward being a yeoman.  What was interesting was that his son Evan got into difficulties and needed money as a result of a lawsuit.  So an argumentative lot!

And there are so many Edward Reeses in the area!