Author Topic: Help with Marriage Record for Margaret Gardner (or Gardiner) to Robert Love  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Terri Kessler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Marriage Record for Margaret Gardner (or Gardiner) to Robert Love
« on: Monday 07 September 20 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi. I have some confusion on this marriage.

Margaret Gardner married John Shirlock (or Sherlock) on 3.20.1868. Apparently he died. I am still looking for his death record.

Margaret Sherlock (or Shirlock), a widow, married Robert Love, a widow. I have multiple marriage dates on the children’s birth records as follows:

Annie Gardner Love b 1879 shows 3.20.1874, Glascow (Info provided by Margaret Love on birth)
Mary Love b 1879 shows 3.20.1874, Hutchisontown (sp?) Glascow (Info provided by Margaret Love on birth)
Robert Love b 1881 shows 6.1.1874, Dennistown (sp?) (Info provided by Robert Love)
Catherine Love b 1883 shows 6.18.1880 Dennistoun, Glascow (Info provided by Margaret Love)
Wilson Love b 1885 shows 6.1.1874 Dennistoun, Glascow (Info provided by Robert Love)
John Love b 1889 shows 6.1.1874 Dennistoun, Glascow (Info provided by Robert Love)

I cannot find any marriage records for 3.20.1874 or 6.1.1874.  I did find the marriage record for 6.18.1880 and it seems to match. 

Any thoughts on this?

Much appreciated!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Marriage Record for Margaret Gardner (or Gardiner) to Robert Love
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 September 20 21:59 BST (UK) »
In the UK 6.1.1874 means 6 January 1874. It's always a good idea to write the month in letters, e.g. 6 Jan 1874 or 1 Jun 1874, to avoid any possibility of confusion.

And the city is Glasgow, not Glascow.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 September 20 22:08 BST (UK) »
Annie Gardner Love was b 1877 - not 1879

If Margaret married John Sherlock 20th March 1868 it seems a bit coincidental that she then married Robert Love also on 20th March of whatever year

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTYD-N4T
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 September 20 22:16 BST (UK) »
What info is given on the 1868 marriage cert - how old was John & what was his occupation?  What were his parents names?  If he was a mariner he may have died at sea

The absence of a marriage to Love suggests that John was possibly alive and the marriage broke down.  The 1881 for Robert & Margaret has no Shirlock children

Have you looked for John on the 1881 census?  There is a John Sherlock b 1849 living with his father Samuel in Glasgow

In 1871 Margaret is working as a servant in Lanarkshire indexed as Sherlock
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 September 20 22:36 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage in 1880 to Robert Love showing both surnames for Margaret - Gardiner & Sherlock

You can download it at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Terri Kessler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 00:40 BST (UK) »
In the UK 6.1.1874 means 6 January 1874. It's always a good idea to write the month in letters, e.g. 6 Jan 1874 or 1 Jun 1874, to avoid any possibility of confusion.

And the city is Glasgow, not Glascow.

My apologies on my typos. Annie was born 1877.  Glascow was a spelling and I will remember about the dates.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 06:40 BST (UK) »
When Margaret registers the birth of daughters Annie in 1877, and Mary in 1879, and needing to give marriage details, Margaret uses her own marriage to John SHIRLOCK...20 March.

Margaret needs a date that is easy to remember, and that describes these girls to be born to married parents, and a mother who was not pregnant when she married. To that end, the year just has to suit that purpose. Marriage 1874 would seem to generously cover the 1877 birth, so I wonder if there is a child older than Annie?

At birth of Catherine, 1883, Margaret gives her correct marriage date.

Robert LOVE consistently gives 1 Jun 1874 for marriage date.  Maybe that is his marriage date...1 Jun....and maybe 1874. June 1st is the date that is easy for him to remember.

When people are having a family together, and no marriage to find, it is usually because one or both is still married to someone else.

By 1880, that matter has been resolved.......death of spouse is confirmed, or enough time has passed to feel safe about marrying.

If you are wanting to account for John SHIRLOCK you need to list all the information from the 1868 marriage certificate.  How does it describe his origins?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 12:19 BST (UK) »
Terri

Replies 3 & 4 refer.  Any info available to help trace John?

EDIT

Full 1881 details - no children born before 1877 showing on the entry.  As the marriage to Robert was 1880 and both Annie's 1877 birth and Mary's 1879 birth were registered as Love ........

Robert Love 31 b Ireland - iron driller in shipyard
Margaret 33 b Kilbirnie Ayrshire
Annie 4 b Partick
Mary 2 Old Kilpatrick Dumbartonshire

ED4 Page 10 Line 11

EDIT

1891/1901 - no Robert snr but no death in Dunbarton for him

Offline Terri Kessler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
Carole

20 Mar 1868 Marriage Record (which is hard to read):

John Shirlock, Iron Shingler, 22, 69 Gaengad (sp?) Hill, Glascow;
Parents are Thomas Shirlock, Furnaceman and Elisabeth Shirlock, maiden name Lewis;
Margaret Gardiner, Domestic Servant, 20, 69 Gaengad ((sp?) Hill, Glascow;
Parents are James Gardiner, Furnaceman, deceased and Ann Gardiner, maiden name (can’t read)

I do have the 1881 Census record referred to below showing Robert Love, 31 b Ireland, Iron Driller. I have not found a death record for him yet, nor for John Shirlock, or Sherlock.

20 Apr 1920 Death Record for Margaret Love:

Margaret Love, d 7 Miller Street, Clydebank
1st - Sherlock (no first name)
2nd - Robert Love, Iron Driller
Parents: Thomas Gardiner, Furnaceman, deceased and Ann Gardiner, maiden name O’Hara, deceased
Informant was son, Wilson Love, 168 High Street

No children found yet prior to Annie.

Wivenhoe,

Your response makes sense. Wasn’t sure if they would lie about there marriage dates in the children’s birth certificates.

Terri