Author Topic: John J Chute (California Death Certificates)  (Read 283 times)

Offline msbonbon65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
John J Chute (California Death Certificates)
« on: Tuesday 08 September 20 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some help in locating the California Death Certificate for John J Chute (1867-1936) I have the full death date 2 Jan 1936 San Diego, Ca he is buried at Mount Hope Cemetery in San Diego, Ca. He and his wife were living in El Cajon, San Diego, California in 1930 and he was a rancher. I have traced the whereabouts of John J Chute and his wife Mary Elizabeth Anderson Chute from 1900 -1936 and after his death his wife Mary E Chute went back to Oregon where she died in 1942.

I cannot trace them prior to 1900 even though I have Mary Elizabeth Anderson's parents John Anderson and Jane Morris so I am hoping to locate John J Chute's death certificate to learn who his parents were to see if that information will help me locate the family prior to 1900. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!   Thanks!

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John J Chute (California Death Certificates)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 00:50 BST (UK) »
Illustrated History of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties, Oregon, 1902, pages 238, 239

https://www.google.com/books/edition/_/6YMrAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&pg=PA18&bsq=chute

scroll down to p 238 and click on the page to enlarge it.

download it there, or at
https://archive.org/details/illustratedhis00chic as .pdf or .epub

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 01:04 BST (UK) »
Problem is, I can't find anyone at all named Chute or Shute in Surry County, VA at any time. Maybe he made it all up :) . I believe everything after 1892 and the start of the mining phase of his life, though.

K of P is probably Knights of Pythias. I don't know what the other fraternal order is, M.W.A.

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 01:11 BST (UK) »

Offline msbonbon65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi OldOhioHome,

I have the 1900-1930 census for John J Chute and his wife Mary Elizabeth Chute and they all say John's birthplace is Virginia so I think that might be true. I know they have Mary Elizabeth Chute's parents wrong I have her death certificate the parents are JOHN ANDERSON and JANE MORRIS. John J Chute's mother might be a cousin with her last name Morris. I will try out the new information and see where it leads me thank you very much for the information!  Maria

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 03:14 BST (UK) »
Unless you have other sources to support the information, I would take the parents’ names on the death certificate as a clue rather than definite.  In the midst of grief, the informant may have confused her late husband’s parents’ names for hers.

Offline msbonbon65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Shellyesq,

My great, great grandmother Mary Morris Crowe was the youngest sister of Jane Morris Anderson, Jane's daughter Mary Elizabeth Anderson married John J Chute and their daughter Marguerite M Chute Goss stayed in touch with her cousin Mildred Crowe Dacey(my grandmother) until Marguerite Chute Goss died in 1955; so the death certificate is correct. The information for John J Chute is not entirely correct Fairmount is not in Surry County, it is in Virginia Beach, Va and their is no documentation for a William and Mary Anderson in Detroit or a John and Jane Anderson either. I'm going to have to try and get the death certificate from California which should be fun with COVID-19 and the damage to the post office.   Maria